colt banner

Author Topic: Gun's too heavy. Or not.  (Read 136 times)

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
Gun's too heavy. Or not.
« on: December 05, 2018, 08:15:06 AM »
My wife handled my new Bisley Blackhawk and declared it to be too heavy for her to shoot. That raised some questions in my mind, as she shoots a Flattop Blackhawk in 44 Special with no problems at all. She also says my Vaquero is too heavy for her.

So, I dragged out my digital scale and did some comparisons of some of the Ruger single actions we currently own. I threw in my long barreled Bisley for the heck of it. I got the following -

Bisley Blackhawk 45 Colt/7.5” barrel – 47.6 ounces

Flattop Blackhawk 44 Special/5.5” barrel – 42.1 ounces

Bisley Blackhawk Convertible 45 Colt/45 ACP/3.75” barrel – 43.3 ounces

Large frame Vaquero 45 Colt/3.75” barrel – 39.8 ounces

These are the guns...

The center two guns are her Flattop and my new Bisley. Note from my data above, the Bisley which is 'too heavy' is only an ounce heavier than her Flattop. And the Vaquero which is 'too heavy' is actually lighter in weight than her Flattop.

I suspect that we are dealing with a size problem, rather than a weight problem. Let's face it, the Bisley grips are big. That's why I like them. They fit my hand very nicely. My Vaquero is a large frame Vaquero, so the grip is still pretty chunky.

Her Flattop is the New Vaquero frame, with the smaller grip and, in addition, I put on a set of Altamont's slim profile grips for her. That makes the grip noticeably smaller than any of the other revolvers. I'm almost tempted to order a pair of slim profile grips for my large-frame Vaquero and see if she'd shoot it then.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Gun's too heavy. Or not.
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 09:31:31 AM »
Hi Electric, forget weighting the revolvers. How long have you been married? Science be damned, don't you know that the wife is always right.  ^j) ^j) ^j)

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 01:46:08 PM »
I obviously have a different sort of marriage than you do. My wife and I actually discussed this at lunch today. She agrees that the grip size may be the actual problem.

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 06:21:09 PM »
You'll learn  EM, you'll learn .  .  .  .  .  Richard is right , actually weighing the revolvers was a wasted effort. Lol!! To make matters worse, your weighing exercise proves me, Richard and your wife correct. (Man card is now in danger of "time out"!!)

Next time, just apologize to her and ask nicely where she would like to go  for dinner! (We're trying to save your butt here!!!)

You see, THAT, is how you have a happy marriage!!   

Beware if she challenges you to a shooting match, it's a fact that women naturally have better hand/eye coordination. They'll generally make a feller look foolish! My mom taught my dad that very lesson with a Beretta 25acp, a beer can in the lake and the 3 of us in a boat.  My dad missed the can 3 or 4 times .  .  .  mama only needed 1!!     If I .  .  .  .   what's that dear?!!   Sorry EM, gotta go !!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 09:50:03 PM »
I was going to teach my first wife to shoot. She never said a word, just proceeded to show me a thing or three. She weighed 110 pounds soaking wet in her winter clothes and her favorite pistol was a hot loaded SS Ruger Super Blackhawk. She could cut cards with an iron sighted .22 rifle and snuff out birthday candles without marking the candles.

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 06:05:58 AM »
You'll learn  EM, you'll learn .  .  .  .  .  Richard is right , actually weighing the revolvers was a wasted effort. Lol!! To make matters worse, your weighing exercise proves me, Richard and your wife correct. (Man card is now in danger of "time out"!!)

Next time, just apologize to her and ask nicely where she would like to go  for dinner! (We're trying to save your butt here!!!)

You see, THAT, is how you have a happy marriage!!   

Beware if she challenges you to a shooting match, it's a fact that women naturally have better hand/eye coordination. They'll generally make a feller look foolish! My mom taught my dad that very lesson with a Beretta 25acp, a beer can in the lake and the 3 of us in a boat.  My dad missed the can 3 or 4 times .  .  .  mama only needed 1!!     If I .  .  .  .   what's that dear?!!   Sorry EM, gotta go !!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

We've been married over a decade and we don't play those games. Yes, the jokes are all funny. As far as shooting, my wife is a good shot. She'll be the first to tell you that I'm better - much more practice.

Offline StrawHat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 09:12:51 AM »
Different stocks will make a difference.

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 04:33:26 PM »
I'm wondering how she'd do with a bird's head grip.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2018, 08:55:26 PM »
I don't like the Bisley because the recoil pushes straight back instead of letting the gun roll up in your hand. I had this one and hated it. The Super Blackhawk is a much more pleasant gun to shoot.

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2018, 02:52:40 AM »
I like the Bisley for the exact same reason.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2018, 12:22:27 PM »
I traded mine for a Uberti Cattleman in 44-40.

Offline StrawHat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2018, 01:26:20 AM »
I'm wondering how she'd do with a bird's head grip.

A birds head grip would require a different grip frame.

Not everyone likes every gun. I like “K” and “N” frame S&W revolvers but not the “L” frame.

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com