colt banner

Author Topic: KIRST CONVERTER PROBLEMS  (Read 245 times)

Online 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
Re: KIRST CONVERTER PROBLEMS
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2019, 10:57:58 AM »
The true job of the conversion ring is to act as a breech face which means it is what takes the force of the case as it slams to the rear when fired. It also holds the mounted firing pin if so equipped. So, floating or mounted, it can do its job  and either does its job very well. It's obvious that a hammer mounted firing pin would need a more precisely placed opening for the pin to pass through so in that case a mounted ring would be the setup. With a self contained pin in a floating ring, it's easy enough to keep the pin in position and within specs to primer location. This setup lends itself to be more friendly as a "convertible" conversion so you can switch back to cap gun status without the need for tools.

This is also why the drop cylinder (a cylinder that has a removable end plate to load and unload rounds and must be removed from the frame to do so. Also, each chamber has a dedicated firing pin) may be looked at as "less robust" .
The back plate (breech plate) isn't fully supported by the recoil shield like the conversion ring is. That said, I am a big fan of the drop cylinders in Remington pattern revolvers, it's a great idea and historically accurate. Just don't try to "soup up" the ammo!!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 11:00:16 AM by 45 Dragoon »

Offline Yolla Bolly Brad

• View Profile
Re: KIRST CONVERTER PROBLEMS
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2019, 02:45:28 PM »
Hi Brad, the attachment of the cylinder ring looks great. That's the way gated conversions were historically done. I was under the impression that the ring was pretty hard steel when I did a file test on it. Is the hardening only on the surface? Did you find drilling the ring difficult?

Regards,
Richard

It drilled OK and I didn't notice any surface hardness. I used a Bridgeport type milling machine and the rigidity of this set up makes drilling tough materials seem easy. One mistake I made was poking a hole over the loading gate spring. If you look close you can see where I plugged it.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 02:47:09 PM by Yolla Bolly Brad »