colt banner

Author Topic: Leech & Rigdon new front sight install  (Read 34 times)

Offline ShotgunDave

• View Profile
Leech & Rigdon new front sight install
« on: February 13, 2019, 04:48:22 PM »
If this is the wrong place for this, feel free to move it.

Some of you may remember, back in December I got an Uberti Leech and Rigdon. It's a fantastic pistol, but the front sight always bothered me. The previous owner installed a Remington type sight and it just never looked right to me. So when the epoxy that was used failed, and the sight literally fell off while I was fondling it the other day, now seemed like a good time to fix it. Here's how it looked with that big sight on it.

So here's a pictorial rundown on how I fixed it. I reamed out all the leftover epoxy from the sight hole with a small piece of brass rod and a dental pick. Making sure to get the hole nice and clean. Then I got a piece of 1/8" brass rod and prepped it to be used for the new sight. I cleaned it well and scuffed it good with 400 grit sandpaper. Then I wiped a small amount of flux onto the end and tinned it with solder. Now it's ready to be attached.

Next, I put the gun in the vise to hold it perfectly still, and again put a tiny amount of flux in the hole for the sight. Then I tapped the tinned brass rod down into the hole. Now it's ready to solder.

Once it's seated and you have it centered where you want, you just heat the brass rod with a torch. Not the barrel, just the rod. The heat will travel fast and you'll see the flux boil out of the joint. Then you'll see the solder sweat up around the base of the rod. At that point, remove the heat.

Now you can cut the rod down to whatever height you want. You can use a side cutter and then dress it with a file or use your Dremel. I used my Dremel and dressed the post with an emery board. You can even leave the post a little tall and dress it at the range to adjust POA. I made mine the same height as the Remington sight was, because this gun shot to POA with that sight. So I just duplicated the height of it.

I think I did okay. No damage to the bluing on the barrel.

Looks like it should again without that Remmie sight on there.

Just thought you would like to see how I did it. Now if the weather holds, I really want to go shoot the darn thing this weekend!

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Leech & Rigdon new front sight install
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 05:02:21 PM »
Perfect job Dave!!! Now it look proper.

Offline ShotgunDave

• View Profile
Re: Leech & Rigdon new front sight install
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 05:12:34 PM »
Thanks Scooby!   )l_