Author Topic: Best way to fill in the 1851/1860 hammer slot??  (Read 2182 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Best way to fill in the 1851/1860 hammer slot??
« on: November 22, 2013, 08:58:56 AM »
Hi, the hammer on my Pietta 1860 Army that is just being used with a Taylor conversion cylinder has the hammer slot peening over where the hammer hits the firing pins. I even have a Wolff reduced power hammer spring installed in the revolver to minimize the conversion cylinder firing pins mushrooming.  I know that JBweld is too fragile and wouldn't last a day of conversion cylinder shooting. I am torn between drilling and tapping a hold to accept a replaceable hammer insert, or tig weld filling the hammer slot.

If I have the slot tig welded, future hammer wear will required rewelding. If I drill a hole and use an insert, replacing the insert in the future may be problematic. I have even considered drilling and tapping a hole all the way through the hammer such that a hex key brass setscrew could be removed from the back of the hammer when the insert needed replacing.

I already have a spare 1860 hammer if I screw this up and just ordered another parts kit with hammer.

Are there any suggestions or ideas you could give me to solve this problem and fill the hammer slot?

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Best way to fill in the 1851/1860 hammer slot??
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 07:30:07 AM »
Hi, I tried to drill the hammer face, but just broke a couple of drills. It appears that the Pietta 1860 hammer is hardened. I guess the best method to do the job will be to put steel weld metal in the hammer face slot and then file it to shape.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Saranac Sam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 03:09:57 PM »

I tried the JB Weld trick and that blew out the first rounds at the range.  It may also be because I was trying those little circular cap gaskets made out of tubing.  While they kept the spent caps in place, some of them blew out through the back of the cap, causing more jams both on the 58 and 60...and probably burning out the JB Weld.  I've abandoned that idea.  I'd be curious to know if TIG welding would solve that notch problem.
Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 09:11:52 PM »
Have you tried brazing and filing?
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Fingers McGee

• Global Moderator
  • Show Me Shootout 2014 - TTN Hammer gun & BP
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 09:18:33 AM »
Firstoff, if the nipples or conversion firing pins are peening the face of the hammer, the hammer face needs to be dressed to eliminate the overtravel.  Once you have eliminated the overtravel, JB Weld should work just fine.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 01:46:31 PM »
Have you tried brazing and filing?

Hi Captain, at first, the thought of silver soldering the gap seemed like a good idea. However, the more I thought or over thought the idea, I became concerned about changing the temper of the hammer sear. I ordered a flux core wire welder to fill the gap. I should be able to clamp the hammer in a vice where there won't be any welding heat messing with the sear hardness.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2013, 01:56:56 PM »
Firstoff, if the nipples or conversion firing pins are peening the face of the hammer, the hammer face needs to be dressed to eliminate the overtravel.  Once you have eliminated the overtravel, JB Weld should work just fine.

Hi Fingers, if you could see the firing pin imprint on the hammer face, you would know that JB-Weld would blow right out of the gap. I don't believe that the hammer is over-traveling and is properly fitted. It's just that there is so little contact area on either side of the hammer gap with the conversion cylinder to impact the firing pins. I'm going to weld the damn hammer slot shut for a permanent fix. If I get good at this, I may even fill in the hammers of my other 1860s and 1851.

That 1860 hammer design is a POS compared to the 1858. Reduced power springs can be used with the 1858 for both caps and conversion cylinder use. The 1860 chokes on caps with the reduced power hammer spring.

Regards,
Richard