colt banner

Author Topic: Those of you with Walkers....  (Read 9001 times)

Offline Rigmarol

• View Profile
Re: Those of you with Walkers....
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2014, 12:47:03 PM »
That's a nice rig, Rig.

Thanks, I've lost some weight and might have to take it in a bit LOL.

Offline jaxenro

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2014, 04:31:36 AM »
Mines getting some work done will post when I get it back - It's a 36 caliber will need to work out the load
Check out my website www.percussionrevolvers.com

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2014, 08:35:02 AM »
A .36 cal. Walker? Tell me more...
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline jaxenro

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2014, 04:56:12 AM »
Relining the barrel to 375 and sleeving the front part of the cylinder chambers to the same. The walker cylinder is close to one inch longer than the 1851 so it should hold that much more powder
Check out my website www.percussionrevolvers.com

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2014, 10:00:33 PM »
Jax, I still think that is going to be a neat combination. She is going to be one fire cat of a .36. It will be the one and only around for some time, that is for sure. Then with exposure, I bet it catches the attention of others who are inclined to partake in such ventures. Here is hoping that it works out nicely.

Offline StrawHat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2014, 12:21:09 PM »
Relining the barrel to 375 and sleeving the front part of the cylinder chambers to the same. The walker cylinder is close to one inch longer than the 1851 so it should hold that much more powder

So, in effect, a bottle neck chamber?  I know bottle neck black powder cartridges are a bit of a bother for blackpowder, not sure how a bottle necked chamber would work.  Will you incoporate a step to prevent the ball from dropping into the larger portion of the chamber?  Or are you cutting the rammer to seat the ball flush with the chamber mouth?

I imagine you will be adding 6-8 ounces of weight to the revolver.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 04:53:25 AM by StrawHat »
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2014, 08:15:26 PM »
Sounds fascinating!

Offline Gaz_in_NZ

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2014, 11:07:49 PM »
My loading lever drops probably every other shot with 55grains in each cylinder, it is reasonably accurate at 55gr but most accurate at 20gr and in between 20 and 55 it shoots all over the place.
Goex, .457 balls, either semolina or cracked wheat as a filler at 20gr.
And greased over the open Cyl end over the ball (I am very skeptical of this stopping chain detonations if you are using the correct size ball as I believe that they can only occur if there is a gap round the ball or there is a "pinched" cap on the other end.  I could be well wrong on this one but my logic seems to tell me that no hot gasses can't get past a ball that is an interference fit in a cylinder...  if this is an erroneous assumption then please tell me).

Cheers
Gaz

Offline StrawHat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2014, 04:56:18 AM »
My loading lever drops probably every other shot with 55grains in each cylinder, it is reasonably accurate at 55gr but most accurate at 20gr and in between 20 and 55 it shoots all over the place.
Goex, .457 balls, either semolina or cracked wheat as a filler at 20gr.
And greased over the open Cyl end over the ball (I am very skeptical of this stopping chain detonations if you are using the correct size ball as I believe that they can only occur if there is a gap round the ball or there is a "pinched" cap on the other end.  I could be well wrong on this one but my logic seems to tell me that no hot gasses can't get past a ball that is an interference fit in a cylinder...  if this is an erroneous assumption then please tell me).

Cheers
Gaz

My loading for any C&B revolver does NOT involve grease over the projectile.  I have not yet had a chain fire.  I do make sure the caps are a proper fit on the cones.  Not pinched and not inclined to fall off when handling the revolver.  Others like to grease the revolver but to me it just makes for a messy firearm.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 01:00:54 PM by StrawHat »

www.NoonSharpening.com

Online mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2014, 05:06:13 AM »
I agree with StrawHat.  RBs that fit and caps that fit will prevent chain fires.   Proper loading practices always need to be used.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2014, 12:30:34 PM »
There is quite a bit of research out there indicating ***most*** (but not all) chainfires are caused by loose or pinched caps. The Remington #10 caps have a longer skirt and when fully seated are an "interference fit" which I believe reduces chainfire potential considerably.

Offline Gaz_in_NZ

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2014, 04:23:27 PM »
I am very interested into what causes chain detonations as I don't want to be giving bad or dangerous information to new BP shooters and I am always looking for new factual info on the subject ('cause there are loads of.... I heard of a bloke that....  a friend of a friend of my brother reckons that...  I heard that if you... etc etc) and I found this that makes for an interesting read and to set the "Think Box" ticking away with that "hmmmm...  never considered that before" thing.
http://www.geojohn.org/BlackPowder/bps2.html

Cheers
Gaz

« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 04:37:44 PM by Gaz_in_NZ »

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2014, 08:28:12 PM »
Interesting read, and totally contradicts the blog I read. Maybe the guy is right and we should do more experimentation ourselves, but...the range I shoot at would likely ask me to leave if they suspected I had intentionally induced a chainfire.

Offline Gaz_in_NZ

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2014, 10:10:17 PM »
Same here, I'd get thrown off the mound for intentionally producing a chain detonation... from an engineering point of view I fail to see how you could still have a flame path of crushed Goex under an interference fit lead ball, that would alo pass through 1/2 inch of an inert filler to get at the charge... All car engine blocks have a set of core plugs that are an interference fit and they work just fine and dandy and in essence do the same job as any interference fit device at stopping the transmission of a fluid media.  I believe it is a much simpler problem but have no proof as to what the mechanism is...  but a worn or ill-fitting cylinder could cause problems if it contacts the Recoil Shield or other parts of the frame during recoil and sets off caps on unfired chambers.
I will eventually get to the bottom of this phenomenon... but It may take a while... (>>
Most of the info out there is all contradictory and you just end up with regurgitation's of Internet stories or apocryphal tails passed down over the years that have lost their origins of fact or fantasy.

Cheers
Gaz

Offline StrawHat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2014, 03:40:35 AM »
One of the things I do with any new to me C&B revovler is to lightly chamfer the chambers.  This may account for me not having chain fires.  As I said, I do not slather grease over the  cylinder.  I do tend to load from a flask but put the spout down in the chamber to fill it.  Mom always said to be neat in everything I do!  Maybe she knew about black powder and C&B revolvers!

www.NoonSharpening.com