Author Topic: My Remington Zouave  (Read 6856 times)

Offline StrawHat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: My Remington Zouave
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2014, 04:58:18 AM »
Here is a photo of the Missisippi I refinished.

Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline Tom-ADC

• Old Salt
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2014, 08:13:25 AM »
And I like it, nice contrast looks good!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2014, 09:46:17 PM »
Yes, it does look original.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Pat/Rick

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2014, 12:48:35 PM »
Strawhat, is that an origional trapdoor barrel/action on a mississippi stock I'm seeing?

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2014, 04:03:15 PM »
Yes, it does look original.

Ummm not really, that's a trapdoor action.

Offline StrawHat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2014, 05:00:58 AM »
Strawhat, is that an origional trapdoor barrel/action on a mississippi stock I'm seeing?

DING DING DING Give that man a ceegar!

Correct, after my Pop passed away, I found a barreled action for the Model 1866.  I had intended to restore it to original but the lack of a pile of $100 bills taller than I am stood in the way.  Eventually, I found the Italian Mississippi with a rusty barrel and struck a deal with the owner.  Out with the new barrel and in with the old!  It took a bit of chisel work and bedding to get the barrel and action into the stock.  Then I had to inlet the cam lock into the lock.  Finally, the hammer needed to be reworked to actually hit the firing pin.  I went through several iterations of finish and finally settled on the darker stock and brightish barrel.

I load the Lyman and Lee 450 grain bullets over a full case of 2F, homemade lube, and large pistol primer.  A suprisingly accurate load.  I have recently obtained a two cavity mold for the same bullet but hollow based.  Hope to try thatone this summer.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline Tom-ADC

• Old Salt
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2014, 08:06:30 AM »
I've got 400 45-70 loaded with 405 grain bullets in smokeless for my Marlin 1895 and another 300 in BP 150 with 405 gr bullet for my Trapdoor and 150 with 535 gr bullets for my Sharps. I keep the smokeless cases separate  from the BP cases plus have another 500 new Starline ready to load. I use Swiss 1.5 Fg BP for the 45-70 I load so I get 1/8 inch compression when bullet is seated.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 08:08:04 AM by Tom-ADC »

Offline Pat/Rick

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2014, 03:34:24 PM »
 A good use of re purposed parts. Don't waste nuttin'. That perhaps will be the most unique one I've seen! I like it!

So, for the origional trap door shooters,  because the repro's are fast approaching and even exceeding the price of an origional,  what is the most important thing to look for when looking one over to purchase as a shooter, and as a hunter?

I know about excessive corrosion, good rifling, etc,etc but specifically, what to look for as far as the action lock up, or play in the trap door? Unlocked and locked? Dark bore's don't bother me as I have shot many a mil-surp over the years. Just more interested in strength of action or problems to look for.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2014, 03:48:03 PM »
I've got a 45-70 barrel somebody started converting to percussion around the turn of the century. They were putting it in a 61 Springfield stock and busted the stock.  (jh

Offline StrawHat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2014, 07:40:53 PM »
The trapdoor itself has more than a little play in it when open.  As long as the hinge pin is present, it won't go anywhere when it iss closed. 

For me, I look for " ...what can I afford?... "  I prefer to find one I can see through the bore but have worked with rifles that had clogged bores also.  I try to buy from a local shop or person because I prefer to handle it and look it over.  The more customizing, the better! Especially on Trapdoors, sand the stock and refinish the metal.  It all helps bring the price down to something I can afford.  I hunt with them.  The one in the photo is a 50-70 and hits harder than any of the small bore 45 caliber Trapdoors.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline Pat/Rick

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2014, 03:53:04 PM »
Straw hat thankyou, that gives me some reassurance!  I'm still looking for a .58 and will likely make it a zouave as they are numerous and good shooters, I'm eyeballing a couple of zoli's.

A trapdoor or rolling block has been on my list of "wants, need, gotta have it for the love of mother and country"!! :D  .45-70 of course as brass is numerous and affordable, I have lead,pyrodex select, and primers already, so only need bullet molds for that flavor. Am I talking myself into this or what? LOL! We'll see what the tea leaves say. Last time they said "your wifes gonna kick your butt". *6'  *Z$  (jh

Offline Tom-ADC

• Old Salt
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2014, 05:29:56 PM »
Pat/Rick, I may have a Zoli Zouave for sale mid April won't cost a arm or leg either.

Offline Pat/Rick

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2014, 06:18:01 PM »
I may be open to that! There's one in The Dalles,OR that didn't impress me upon glance, but then I wasn't looking for one when I took a look. I'm still trying to hold out for a mississippi because of their (and 1st model 1855) historical association in the Pacific Northwest. I live close to one of the few skirmishes that took place in WA. (Cascades Massacre)

There is one on armslist (WA) under muzzleloaders for $275, but again, I'd really rather have an 1841. That one is closer to my price range, but don't have the time to drive to Olympia right now. That and the zouave are probably the handsomest martial longarms designed IMHO.

Basically, it's the age old problem of too many desires and not enough funding LOL! Forget world peace, I need to figure out how to fix that problem  )k*.

Offline Kaboom

• Too many hobbies, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2014, 07:13:52 PM »
Pat/Rick do you have the same problem I do? I have a Cadillac taste on a VW budget! It does create a few problems at times, esp with the little woman (SWMBO).   J*j
Black powder smoke is my Aromatherapy.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2014, 08:06:37 PM »
Pat/Rick do you have the same problem I do? I have a Cadillac taste on a VW budget! It does create a few problems at times, esp with the little woman (SWMBO).   J*j

At least you don't have a Rolls Royce taste on a moped budget like I do.  k*&