Author Topic: Crazy group project idea  (Read 4642 times)

Offline StrawHat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Crazy group project idea
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2014, 04:26:02 AM »
Even the 44 Colt cartridge is not perfect, many of the rechambered cylinders show evidence of the chamber cut in the locking notch.  Makes it hard to extract a fired cartridge.
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2014, 08:24:43 PM »
Even the 44 Colt cartridge is not perfect, many of the rechambered cylinders show evidence of the chamber cut in the locking notch.  Makes it hard to extract a fired cartridge.

Now that you mention it, I bet a rebated cylinder would get mighty thin. I notice the Taylor's are all 5-shot. You are probably right about a .36 being a better candidate, but what case/bullet combo? all the .38's are .355-.357 which are too loose for a .375 bore.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ofitg

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2014, 09:37:35 AM »
Cap'n, Scooby had the solution in Reply #11 - use a heeled bullet.

I think your original idea of using half-moon (or full-moon?) clips would be great! If you choose to go the .36 route, the 9mm case might even be a candidate.

I know that full-moon clips are available for five-shot 9mm revolvers.... are there any six-shot 9mm revolvers that use full-moon clips?

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2014, 01:46:24 PM »

Now that you mention it, I bet a rebated cylinder would get mighty thin. I notice the Taylor's are all 5-shot. You are probably right about a .36 being a better candidate, but what case/bullet combo? all the .38's are .355-.357 which are too loose for a .375 bore.

Heeled bullets or have the barrel lined.

Offline StrawHat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2014, 06:25:43 PM »
Why would you bother to use moon clips of any sort to reload a single action revolver?

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2014, 10:14:00 PM »
Why would you bother to use moon clips of any sort to reload a single action revolver?
My original idea centered around the fact that you could do a straight bore-through without having to recess for the base of the brass, and the fact that .45LC brass is very expensive compared to ACP and much more readily available.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ofitg

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2014, 09:11:55 AM »
I was thinking along similar lines.... since the U.S. military has adopted the 9mm, a supply of cheap brass is assured for the next few decades. Even in a rat-hole like Honduras, 9mm ammo is available on the black market.

I was also considering the "invention aspect" of using moon clips with a conversion cylinder. It's never been done that I am aware of; why not try something new?

Offline StrawHat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2014, 05:30:03 AM »
It seems to me that having to take apart the revovler, pull the clipped rounds, shove new clipped rounds in place and reassemble the revolver is not a lot faster than simply reloading with loose powder and ball.  If you were to properly chamber the cylinder for the 45 ACP cartridge, the rounds would headspace on the mouth of the cartridge and a garted could be cut to ease loading ON THE REVOLVER.  Eihter way, I would not do it with a brass frame.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline ofitg

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2014, 06:44:31 AM »
Strawhat, you are correct on every point. However, if the Cap'n wants to pursue a "crazy" project, it might be interesting to throw some new ingredients into the mix?

It might even be the starting point for another project.... the "clipped 9mm" idea could be very practical with a steel-framed .36 Remmie.