Author Topic: Walker Kit Guns  (Read 3407 times)

Offline dc7x64

• View Profile
Walker Kit Guns
« on: January 29, 2014, 02:53:52 PM »
Looking at Dragoons and stumbled across the Walker kit guns by Uberti. Anybody done one of these? Surprised there are no pics on the forum! Pretty fair price too as far as I am concerned.  ???

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
Re: Walker Kit Guns
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 03:08:52 PM »
 Where, and can you post a link? I would love to do a Walker kit
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline dc7x64

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 03:28:10 PM »
Captain you can find them at Dixie Gun Works under Guns-Kits in percussion handguns and also at Taylor's firearms just click on percussion firearms and then click the Walker. Too bad they don't make kits for all of them though. A Dragoon kit would be awesome. The money saving is neat but not enough to justify the work you have to put into it if you want something like the finished product. Me on the other hand? A polished steel Walker left to "patina" on its own is right up my alley! Feel me? 8)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 08:24:48 PM »
DC, having built a Colt Army kit gun I can tell you without a doubt, that you will have way more into it hours-wise than you could ever hope to recoup. Also, you won't get even the equivalent of a middle-of-the road replica if you are honest and disclose that it's a kit.
That being said, it's exhilarating to build a gun to your own exacting standards and being the one to say "When!" where it comes to details like how much to polish the brass, what finish to use, how good your wood-to-metal fit is, etc. Personally, I would build a Walker kit in a heartbeat because I know I can do a better job than Uberti or even Taylor's or Cimarron, and if I did, I would never want to sell it!
I say go for it!

Offline StrawHat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 05:05:23 AM »
Personally, I view all the C&B replicas as kits.  Some just require more finish work than others. I have only a few that performed correctly out of the box and those were made in the 60s and 70s. 

Not sure, have these kits been proofed? 
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline dc7x64

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 08:58:54 AM »
The website says they are fully put together and functional when you get them. So I would venture to say yeah they have been proofed. May be wrong on that. Everything is fitted and just needs to be polished and blued. Grips have to be finish sanded and trigger guard is left as cast. There is a video on YouTube, although quality is bad, gives you a rough idea of what you are dealing with. Dixie says skill level 1.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 12:10:31 PM »
The website says they are fully put together and functional when you get them. So I would venture to say yeah they have been proofed. May be wrong on that. Everything is fitted and just needs to be polished and blued. Grips have to be finish sanded and trigger guard is left as cast. There is a video on YouTube, although quality is bad, gives you a rough idea of what you are dealing with. Dixie says skill level 1.

DC, just a helpful hint for all involved; when you say "there is a link" it would be great if you could copy & paste the link in your post so readers could find the same info you are talking about without searching.

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 05:40:59 PM »
I have built 2 kit revolvers.....a CVA and a Pietta. Both had the black powder proof stamps on the cylinder and barrel.

Offline dc7x64

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 05:54:15 PM »
Thanks Mazo! That was my next question. Some on the forum said they had built "kit" guns, so I was gonna ask if their guns had proofs! What exactly are they "proofing"? Metallurgy, tolerances, function, etc.? Obviously not fit and finish!

Offline dc7x64

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 06:09:36 PM »

Walker kit in Question from Taylor's Firearms. Too bright to see if there are proof marks.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 07:52:54 PM by Captainkirk »

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 07:36:32 PM »
DC, the proofs are the PN for black powder pressures.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2015, 06:29:53 AM »
BTT