Author Topic: Percussion cap shortage  (Read 4210 times)

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Percussion cap shortage
« on: May 17, 2014, 06:26:55 PM »
So I have been reading lately about the shortage of caps in some areas, so while I was clear down in South Idaho last weekend, I hit a few gun/sporting goods stores hoping to restock. I figured the bigger cities wouls surely have some at reasonable prices. However, nary a cap could be found except for the useless CCI #10s at one store. This got me kind of nervous, so yesterday, I made a trip to the closest bigger city near me and was striking out there as well. In fact, at my second stop, I ran into an employee who works at ATK, the very plant that makes CCI products. He piped up and stated that he has been spending the past week making nothing but CCI caps. I asked him where are they all at then and he could only reply that they are about 8 to 10 months behind on orders and had no knowledge of how the shortage came about. He went on to say that due to the backlog, employees of ATK are currently restricted from buying percussion caps directly from the company. His last comment was to not expect to see any on the shelves locally for at least a year.

So on my last stop, a newly opened Sportsman Warehouse, low and behold, I find a large stock of Remington caps. I sure was pleased to finally find a good stock of them and so I loaded up with a bunch. My cost was $5.99 per hundred. The folks that I dealt with there were not aware of shooters having a harder time across the country finding caps. Then one employee was suprised to find that they actually did not have any CCI # 11s in stock and only a small supply of CCI # 10s.

Before heading up to pay for the large stock of caps, I asked if it was ok for me to take this much and they said no problem at all and the only thing they are putting limits for purchace on is .22 shells. But they also piped up and said that after talking to me, they might have to consider rationing the caps as well  :(

The times they sure are a changing!!!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
Re: Percussion cap shortage
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 08:05:15 PM »
Uh oh....this is what I was 'afeard' of, Scoob. The guys that started buying BP revolvers last year (because they are 'untraceable') are now starting their hoarding crap with the supplies for their 'untraceable' guns. Not that I'm a fan of CCI caps anyhow.....I much prefer Remington and you got a hell of a bargain at that price....but if hoarding is starting, it will trickle down, trust me!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 02:36:02 PM »
Yeah, it seems like this  binge gun buying spree is affecting everything.  (jh I would disagree about the price of Remington caps being "a bargain", but that seems to be the trend lately. Of course I am thinking back to the days when a brick of caps was under $10.00! I see that Gander Mtn. has caps in stock, but at around $8.00+ a tin! So far, the reloading shop in the little town near me seems to have a reasonable supply, not all the time though. The last I bought were $4.39 (IIRC) a tin for Remington caps, sometimes #10 and sometimes #11 are available. Time to make another run over there, about 8 miles. )k*

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 07:12:51 PM »
Mazo, the local Bass Pro (fortunately) carries my Remington caps.....but at $7.99 per hundred. Not a bargain by any means, but there's no HAZ fee to deal with at least.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 08:28:17 PM »
I have not seen caps of any kind at Bass Pro for nearly 2 years.  Sportsmans Warehouse and Gander Mountain both seem to get Remington #10s fairly often.   $7.99 is the price pretty much anywhere you find them.
My local BP gun shop has them in stock but he charges $11.99 per tin.  I buy one tin from him about once a year just because I like having his shop around.   He is more reasonable with other things but I think he is capitalizing on the cap availabilty thing.
There really is not a shortage here.  Just some short periods when they are unavailable.

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 06:52:33 AM »
At the muzzleloader shoot over in Montana last weekend, the traders had a few tins for sale and they were asking upwards of the $10.00 range.

None of the smaller shops in these parts have any in stock, but there are not many percussion shooters around here. I am the exception.

Offline Dellbert

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2014, 06:34:40 PM »
Nobody selling caps around here either Scooby. :'(

Offline Stillwater

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 02:16:59 PM »
Jedediah Starr trading company has Percussion caps. The price is not out of line either...

I bought a bunch of Remington no. 10's.

Bill
A man enters into contention and his mouth calls for strokes.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 09:14:48 PM »
Jedediah Starr trading company has Percussion caps. The price is not out of line either...

I bought a bunch of Remington no. 10's.

Bill

How much was the HAZMAT, Bill?

Offline Stillwater

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 08:42:48 PM »
You know, I was so happy to get the caps, that I didn't even pay any attention to the HAZMAT fee... I'll look for the invoice and see how much the HAZMAT fee was.

Bill
A man enters into contention and his mouth calls for strokes.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2014, 07:12:35 PM »
You know, I was so happy to get the caps, that I didn't even pay any attention to the HAZMAT fee... I'll look for the invoice and see how much the HAZMAT fee was.

Bill

Most places (Cabela's, etc) are nicking you for like $25.00. You need to buy a lot of caps to make it even out.

Offline brazosdave

• Redneck Mower Jockey
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2014, 02:58:11 AM »
i went through a dry spell, but i made a bulk purchase and have a few thousand caps on hand now.  Every time i go by a cabela's i'll stop in and see if they got any, then pick up a couple tins if they do. 
"I don't gotta kill a man, I just gotta make him sit down"

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2014, 09:36:08 PM »
i went through a dry spell, but i made a bulk purchase and have a few thousand caps on hand now.  Every time i go by a cabela's i'll stop in and see if they got any, then pick up a couple tins if they do.
Wise thinking, Dave. It will pay off some day when the rest of us are high & dry.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2014, 10:25:19 PM »
Stopped up at the local Bass Pro to put a new string on the bow tonight. They had a shit-ton of Remington caps in both 10 and 11. If I didn't buy the bowstring, I woulda bought more than the 300 caps I did.....

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2014, 06:21:37 AM »
I rode down to Sportsman Warehouse yesterday and picked up another 1000 Remingtons. They are the only place around these parts that have caps. A few weeks back, I was up in North Idaho and stopped by Cabela's and they did not have any in stock.