colt banner

Author Topic: Swap-O-Rama  (Read 1359 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
Swap-O-Rama
« on: May 31, 2014, 10:39:38 PM »
You might recall my anecdote about my son's .44 Navy brasser; how it "shot loose" and my attempt to fix it, and then it's subsequent self destruct? And how I won him a new brass frame off of Gunbroker? Well, over the weekend I did the swap-o-rama, transferring all the old parts into the new frame. It took a little cleanup to remove the casting flash, etc, but I had it up and running in a couple hours. The kid is one happy camper!

Pietta .44 Colt brasser wearing it's new duds

Close-up of the new frame markings
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 10:50:17 PM by Captainkirk »
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline StrawHat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Swap-O-Rama
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 03:12:27 AM »
That looks nice.
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline hiker.wild

• just do it !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 09:48:53 AM »
2f.. pyro  works great in my little 1851 navy brass..dosnt quite have the kick.. but its easyer on the action..i just top off each cyclender then toss a ball on top..grease over...also works great on my draGOON.....
those 30 grain pellets work as well on the dragoon with a little filler than ball..no grease
i do have some 3f blackpowder..funstuff ..but it does leave a dirty mess behind..love the smell of the smoke thou.........
fieldlines.com

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 10:27:02 AM »
2f.. pyro  works great in my little 1851 navy brass..dosnt quite have the kick.. but its easyer on the action..i just top off each cyclender then toss a ball on top..grease over...also works great on my draGOON.....
those 30 grain pellets work as well on the dragoon with a little filler than ball..no grease
i do have some 3f blackpowder..funstuff ..but it does leave a dirty mess behind..love the smell of the smoke thou.........
I originally won this gun off an auction site; the arbor was beginning to come loose when I got it. I think someone was using full-house loads in it. I sold it to my kid for a song but even with 20gr loads it got rattly-loose after less than 100 rounds. I think if he keeps the loads at 20gr or less from here on in he'll be fine.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline brazosdave

• Redneck Mower Jockey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 04:08:05 AM »
I am pleased to say i do not have any problems with loose arbors.  I'm glad, cos i love brass, lol!  That pistol looks great!  Good job!
"I don't gotta kill a man, I just gotta make him sit down"