Author Topic: A pocket with some juice  (Read 7056 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Re: A pocket with some juice
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2018, 04:14:14 AM »
Hi, I remembered that I have an 1849 that could shoot down aircraft with the barrel horizontal to the earth. That revolver really needed a taller front sight. As an experiment, I wanted to see how fast I could make a dovetail for a new front sight. With the revolver assembled, all the tools put away, the timer was started. Twenty two minutes later the dovetail was done. What took the longest time was driving out the lever post from the barrel so that the jig could be fitted.

The dovetail:

Regards,
Richard

Hi, the dovetail front brass front sights arrived from Track of the Wolf yesterday. One of those sights was fitted to the Uberti 1849 Pocket revolver:

The front sight will be filed down at the range to have poi-poa @25yds.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2018, 09:26:33 AM »
Hi, I realized that I also have an 1849 Wells Fargo that requires FAA clearance before shooting it, it shoots so high. Since I'm on a roll doing dovetails, a dovetail was cut for the Wells Fargo. This dovetail took less than 15 minutes to cut with all the tools put away. The only faster way to cut a dovetail would be to use a milling machine with a dovetail cutter. The Wells Fargo dovetail:

The new dovetail will be cold blued and a tall brass front sight fitted.

Regards,
Richard
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 11:41:33 AM by ssb73q »
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Dave Shooter

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2018, 12:37:38 PM »
Richard, on your 1862 (.36 cal), how deep did you cut your dovetail and how much meat is left between bore and bottom of cut?

Looks great!
Happily Retired USAF ossifer
Engineer?
Shooter of questionable skill...
Unabashed patriot!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2018, 01:07:12 PM »
Hi Dave, the thickness of the 1862 barrel is just a little over 0.1" thick. The depth of the dovetail did concern me for fear of weakening the barrel. The thickness at the narrowest part of the dovetail remaining after cutting the dovetail is a skimp 0.035". There is still the full barrel thickness around the remainder and front and back of the dovetail. Only shooting will learn if I have a problem. If there is a problem, a shorter barrel length is in order.

In hindsight, I should have used a thicker aluminum spacer under the jig to minimize the depth of the dovetail.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2018, 04:40:27 AM »
Hi, I realized that I also have an 1849 Wells Fargo that requires FAA clearance before shooting it, it shoots so high. Since I'm on a roll doing dovetails, a dovetail was cut for the Wells Fargo. This dovetail took less than 15 minutes to cut with all the tools put away. The only faster way to cut a dovetail would be to use a milling machine with a dovetail cutter. The Wells Fargo dovetail:

The new dovetail will be cold blued and a tall brass front sight fitted.

Regards,
Richard

Hi, the Uberti 1849 Wells Fargo sporting its new taller front sight:

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2018, 09:17:06 AM »
Hi, finally got a chance to sight in the 1849s that have taller dovetail sights using .32 S&W Short conversion cylinder. It's amazing on how accurate these revolvers can be when sighted in so that poi=poa @25yds. I was consistently shooting sub 3" groups @25yds. The sighted in revolvers:

Tomorrow I will sight in one of my 1862 with tall dovetail sight.

Regards,
Richard
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 12:16:30 PM by ssb73q »

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2018, 01:10:35 PM »
Nice work; practise makes perfect! You are probably the "shootinest" guy I know. Also one of the most anal when it comes to accurate guns!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2018, 04:56:43 AM »
Hi mazo, Townsend Whelen once said "Only accurate rifles are interesting". I feel the same holds for all firearms.

If one only shoots a couple of firearms they can learn to use Kentucky windage to compensate for poi not equal to poa. If a user shoots a number of different firearms, having poi=poa allows for an accurate first shot.

IMO poi=poa may not mean much for those that just want the smoke and bang, but I want to put the projectile just where I aim, be it the first or hundredth shot.  (7&

Regards,
Richard

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2018, 09:36:23 AM »
Understood, and I just wish I had your dedication.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2018, 11:40:50 AM »
Hi, today I sighted in the Uberti 1862 to have poi=poa @25yds. I had some initial problems. The original hammer of this revolver has the hammer safety slot fill in with silver solder. I had installed a new 1862/1849 hammer with the original safety slot so as to see how bad a cap sucker the revolver with a hammer with safety slot. The revolver would not fire caps. Inspection showed that the new hammer is shorter than the original hammer. I put the silver soldered hammer back in the revolver and did the sighing in. Also, I noticed that the revolver would drop the spent cap down between the hammer and frame. A Wolff reduced power spring was in the revolver and is probably the cause since the hammer blows back somewhat on firing. The original hammer spring is now back in the revolver. This is the sighted in 1862 revolver:

Sometimes there are expected improvements that hurt reliability.

BTW, the 1862 produces groups less than 1.5" @25yds using a tripod rest, it is an amazing shooter.

I still need to check out some more revolvers in my safe that may have taller dovetail sights that need sighting in.

I hope I am done with sighting in an can get back to putting thousands of rounds on my steel targets this summer.

Regards,
Richard

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2018, 02:37:06 PM »
Great looking Pocket Navy Richard.  What load did you find most accurate in it?

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2018, 03:27:22 PM »
Hi whip, I was using 20gr by volume Black Mz, Sagebrush lubed wads, 0.380 hand cast balls, and Remington #10 caps. The charge was loaded on the gun using the 1862 loading lever.

Regards,
Richard

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2018, 10:47:38 AM »
Have you done any shooting with powder and ball in the 49's since sighting in? If so, how does the accuracy and point of impact compare to that of the .32 S&W conversion cylinder?

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2018, 11:25:54 AM »
Hi Lonesome, I haven't shot the 49s with C&B after sighting in with 32 S&W. Since the projectile weight is similar I would expect the poi to be close to one another. If I ever shoot the 49s with C&B I will let you know where the balls print.

Regards,
Richard

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2018, 01:34:15 PM »
Sounds good, Richard.