Author Topic: Small flask wanted.  (Read 1544 times)

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
Small flask wanted.
« on: July 30, 2016, 08:18:29 AM »
I'm getting a new gun, an 1862 Police and want to have a flask to go along with it.
Looking at the forums's Banner Picture there are two shown in Fingers McGee revolver set.
Any ideas as to type, actual size in inches and amount of powder it would hold ?
I sent Fingers an email, but then thought this question might be of interest to others like me.
I don't know much ,ain't feard to ask. 8)
Hewy
Hewy
BETTER TO GETTIN than GETTIN GOT.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Small flask wanted.
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 09:53:24 AM »
Hi Hewy, if you just want a good powder flask, these are good:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/194524/traditions-deluxe-tubular-powder-flask-brass

You can cut the spout, or buy different sizes from Track of the Wolf, see:

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/71/1/SPOUTS

Here are a few of mine after cleaning:

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline DoubleDeuce1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 11:33:53 PM »
Look at the Possibles Shop. I bought a couple of Uberti 1862 Police Pocket Models from them. I also bought a couple of the Pedersoli versions of the small Colt "Eagle" flask. It has a fifteen grain charger. It's a very nice flask, not too big. It doesn't hold much. I think it might be more in line with what you are looking for. Worth a look at least.  8)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 04:47:31 AM »
Hi, Track of the Wolf is currently running a flask sale, see:
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/newsletter.aspx/DE6A2586E3184275

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 06:39:11 AM »

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2016, 11:04:20 AM »
Hi Hawg, thanks for the link to that small flask. I bought one and it is very nice. I like the slider valve on that flask better than the push button valve on my other flasks. The nozzle and valve head fits all my other brass flasks so I can mix and match depending on what powder and load I want to use. I think that slider valve will throw Black Mz that has large grains better than the push button valves.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2016, 01:37:43 PM »
I have one of the longer ones like that. I like it. Been using it for over 30 years.

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2016, 06:11:00 AM »
Hi Hawg, thanks for the link to that small flask. I bought one and it is very nice. I like the slider valve on that flask better than the push button valve on my other flasks. The nozzle and valve head fits all my other brass flasks so I can mix and match depending on what powder and load I want to use. I think that slider valve will throw Black Mz that has large grains better than the push button valves.

Regards,
Richard
I see three types of spouts but only familiar with the one that has the large exposed spring on top.
How does the slider valve operate ? For that matter, what are the differences of all three?
Also how does the adjustable type spout hold the powder amount ?
Hewy

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2016, 10:51:35 AM »
Hi Hewy, I don't quite know how to answer your question. If you could see them, the mechanism is obvious. The slider valve has a large opening, ~3/16", the push valve smaller. The volume thrown by these flasks is determined by the nozzle size. There are also flasks with a push down mechanism that throws the amount of power set by rotating the nozzle end. There are also horn type flasks that expect the powder to be measured with a powder measure. There is no best single flask. I suggest that you purchase a few to see what one you prefer for your applications.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2016, 09:23:44 PM »
Richard, for me to grasp the differences more clearly, I NEED A PICTURE illustrating the types.
Example in this forums Banner , the small one on it's side, I have the same valve system so I know how it works
however the larger vertical one, don't know what to call that spout or how it operates.
Hewy

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2016, 01:07:57 PM »
Richard, for me to grasp the differences more clearly, I NEED A PICTURE illustrating the types.
Example in this forums Banner , the small one on it's side, I have the same valve system so I know how it works
however the larger vertical one, don't know what to call that spout or how it operates.

The vertical works the same way but it's adjustable. The ones with the coil spring you just push the button to release powder.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2016, 01:48:31 PM »
Hi Hewy, IMO pictures wouldn't help you understand the push valve flasks. I have two. You need to hold and examine one to understand it. I would never recommend that type of valve since there is a safety issue on operation. The end of the flask is placed on the barrel and pushed down to throw a charge. That exposes the whole powder flask to being ignited if there is an ember in a chamber. IMO only consider the slide or thumb valve flask.

This photo shows the thumb valves:

Regards,
Richard
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 01:50:44 PM by ssb73q »

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2016, 02:52:25 PM »
I just bought a case and accessories for my Pocket Police.  The flask is   r e a l l y   small!  Dixie Gun Works listed it as-  Plain Eagle Flask, copper.