Author Topic: Stevens Modle 12 Marksman (More Pics Added)  (Read 648 times)

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Stevens Modle 12 Marksman (More Pics Added)
« on: March 08, 2017, 09:54:46 PM »
Well, I stepped in a pile of luck again. Call it fate, carma, or good fortune, it is what it is.

On Sunday, a friend tells me my local gun shop has a couple of single shot .22's that just arrived. I rip in there Monday after work and checked them out. One is a junker, but the other is a keeper. The shop owner knows me as a guy that restores these old relics and was glad to see me stop in. The only history he can pass on to me is that an older lady brought them in to sell on consignment. She said her dad has had them since she was a kid. I walked out the door with this rifle for a more than fair price.

I know a little bit about this modle, and from my research, I can possibly date this rifle to around 1920. It was made from 1912 to 1932. Stevens had merged with Savage by 1916, but it seems that after 1920, the Savage mark started appearing on the rifles produced. This rifle does not have the Savage marking, but it does not have the pre 1916 Stevens markings.

Regardless, these little rifle are somewhat rare, just like the modle 26 side levers that I own. Most where abused and used up beyond use. This piece is 100 % complete and in full shooter condition. I have it torn down completely and am in the process of clean up and restoration. It has the dirtiest bore that I have ever encountered on an old gun, but there is plenty of teeth to stabilize a lower powered .22 round. This modle is of the tip up design and is quite unique. It has a lever just like a modle 1915 and modle 17, but varies from there. A tip up is neither a falling block or a rolling block.

Damn proud to have rescued this little gem. I will post pics later on when I get done working it over.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 07:51:05 PM by scooby »

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
Re: Stevens Modle 12 Marksman
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 08:28:11 AM »
Sweet! Looks like a cross between a Spencer and a rolling block.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 03:37:10 PM »
Cool old gun Scooby.   I don't know how you keep stepping in it but luck with the old rifles follows you around.

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 05:52:00 PM »
I'm glad to see that lil gun follow you home. I know you will treat it well! Yeah, bores on guns of that vintage can be iffy. Decades of standing in a closet uncleared.

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 11:09:17 PM »
Thanks men. I have it all put back together now. It looks much better. Took care of all the buggered up screw heads, put some oil to the wood, removed all of the rust, and have the bore looking decent. Be a few days before I get any updated set of pictures posted because I am going out on another woods run.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 07:51:55 PM by scooby »

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Stevens Modle 12 Marksman (More Pics Added)
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 04:52:04 AM »
Here are a bunch of pics of the completed face lift. I also got out Monday evening and put 20 rounds through it. Shoots mighty fine for it's age. I used RWS low velocity Long Rifle ammo. I have faith in these old worn rifles of yester year and get a lot of satisfaction letting them see some use once again rather than drawing dust in a closet.

Other than refinishing the scew heads and removing some rust, I never touched the patina. I will still get some more fouling and corrosion from the bore yet, but I will pop it loose with shooting rather than heavy brushing.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 04:56:47 AM by scooby »

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 06:25:49 AM »
I like the way you clean them up but still leave the age and character.   

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 08:35:27 AM »
Nice work, Steve! I agree...leaving the patina on an old classic is what MAKES it a classic! L@.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2017, 08:49:10 AM »
Nice! I like it!  L@.