photo Dragoon-Navyset_zps3txqpebh.jpg

Author Topic: Cabelas  (Read 1011 times)

Offline jaxenro

• View Profile
Re: Cabelas
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2017, 06:00:10 AM »
Profit is what makes companies stay in business and a 3% profit is a small cushion to rely on if things hit a downturn. A 3% profit can quickly become a 3% loss I would prefer a larger margin to have more room when things go bad

It isn't greed to state that companies that lose money, public or private, go out of business. Black powder firearms are a luxury item and so more likely to be impacted by economic trends. if the economy  is tight and people are worried about their job they still pay the rent buy food and keep the electric on but they might not buy a new 1851

Everything else you mentioned is critical to driving a business but without money to keep the lights on and pay those good employees how long would they be employed? How long would a Cabelas stay in business, public or private, losing 150 million a year?
Check out my website www.percussionrevolvers.com

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2017, 09:18:14 AM »
Hi jaxenro, I agree. Gander Mountain is closing a number of their stores because of poor sales. I you can't make a profit, you can't stay in business very long. Ask Sam Colt.

At some point the sales of BP revolvers becomes saturated where it will be difficult to sell many more. Cabelas used sales to trim inventory that compounded the saturation issue.

Many local gun stores don't carry BP revolvers because they couldn't compete with Cabelas. That favored us consumers where we could get an 1851, 1858, or 1860 from Cabelas when on sale for ~$170-200. IMO those days are probably over.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline jaxenro

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2017, 10:29:41 AM »
The company I work for ran several different store chains. At one point we had about 650 women's clothing stores but they were losing money badly in a market we could no longer compete in. We closed that division and cut over half the corporate jobs went from 4 floors of people packed in to two with room to spare.

It wasn't greed it was a business decision to cut the losses where we were losing money before the losses dragged the profitable business down with it. Better to cut 600 jobs to save 300 than wait another year and lose all 900. Now the 300 are probably back near 900

Being in business is hard and sometimes you need to make hard choices to save what you can. I've been through a buyout, closing divisions, multiple rounds of layoffs, quite a few things. It wasn't greed that drove any of it but a commitment to try to do the best for the shareholders when we were public and the owners when we were private
Check out my website www.percussionrevolvers.com

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2017, 03:19:33 PM »
....At some point the sales of BP revolvers becomes saturated where it will be difficult to sell many more. Cabelas used sales to trim inventory that compounded the saturation issue.
Many local gun stores don't carry BP revolvers because they couldn't compete with Cabelas. That favored us consumers where we could get an 1851, 1858, or 1860 from Cabelas when on sale for ~$170-200. IMO those days are probably over. Regards, Richard
I would think that we, as traditional black powder shooters, make up a small specialty market. Look at what the majority of the floor space in the stores is filled with....clothing, accessories, rifle scopes, modern shooting supplies and guns. I have always received the Cabela's catalog, but recently there are TV commercials airing; they are the first I have seen around here.

Offline oldfart

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2017, 06:56:57 AM »
I was at my local cabalas this last monday, there BP pistol case?area is now full of used modern pistols, and one tiny shelf on the back wall had 2 58rems in it, and 1 walker
they USED to have a nice big selection of black powder pistols, I keep asking if there going to get a shipment, all i get it "IDUNNO"

I did find my Paterson in there Library  and snatched it up quick

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2017, 07:38:23 AM »
Hi, just a note that Cabelas is offering a 20% discount from 04/09/17 until 04/15/17. Use Promo code APRIL20.

Regards,
Richard
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 09:20:35 AM by ssb73q »
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Eric N.

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2017, 05:47:21 PM »
Cool,thanks Richard.  I have been wanting a Sheriffs model for a while.
The easy we make difficult,the difficult we make imposable.  Some days its so true.

Offline prof marvel

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2017, 09:16:06 PM »
Profit is what makes companies stay in business and a 3% profit is a small cushion to rely on if things hit a downturn. A 3% profit can quickly become a 3% loss I would prefer a larger margin to have more room when things go bad

It isn't greed to state that companies that lose money, public or private, go out of business. Black powder firearms are a luxury item and so more likely to be impacted by economic trends. if the economy  is tight and people are worried about their job they still pay the rent buy food and keep the electric on but they might not buy a new 1851

Everything else you mentioned is critical to driving a business but without money to keep the lights on and pay those good employees how long would they be employed? How long would a Cabelas stay in business, public or private, losing 150 million a year?

Do not misunderstand: I do not object to making a profit; My point is the "new breed of greed" I have observed over the last 20 years of INVESTORS who insist on "double digit ROI" quarter to quarter.  But I should have been clearer, that sort of return comes out to - 20-30%
return annually.  That sort of demand completely ignores the reality of how a store (for example) operates, and depends upon the "greater fool theory". 

These INVESTORS ,  I think,  have been spoiled by the insane returns of the boom years in tech companies . See Dutch Bulb Bubble.

I think that much of the Loss Cabelas is experiencing can be attributed, in my opinion to "too much/ too fast expansion" . The Corp planners apparently expected the remarkable run on sporting goods to continue unabated, without any thought to "what exactly" would support the
long term....

SO, just some thoughts from the balcony, having seen such dumb shit happen too often over the years. Few seem to learn from history,
and bosses seldom (if ever) listen to observation from the troops. All too often I have pointed out "potholes in the road" to management,
and ben told to "sit down and shut up".

It should speak volumes to anybody at a management level, to see that some people are making a living by buying BP revolvers at Cabelas on sale, and parting them out on ebay...  I would file this phenomenon under "unintended consequences" like the Snake Bounty in India.

I do hope Cabelas comes out of this ok. They would be sorely missed.
prof marvel

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2017, 06:12:24 PM »

I think that much of the Loss Cabelas is experiencing can be attributed, in my opinion to "too much/ too fast expansion" . The Corp planners apparently expected the remarkable run on sporting goods to continue unabated, without any thought to "what exactly" would support the
long term....

Much like the bubble that Harley Davidson experienced. When it burst, all hell broke loose.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2017, 06:12:43 AM »
Quick update on the proposed merger..looks like it's moving forward..

http://www.thefishingwire.com/story/401273   

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2017, 10:45:58 AM »
Not a good thing IMHO.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2017, 05:58:47 PM »
I also agree. Not a good thing.
Bass Pro out here is fun to roam around in, but
prices are high and for you and me black powder isn't an important product to them.
Hewy
BETTER TO GETTIN than GETTIN GOT.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2017, 08:32:52 AM »
Hi, Cabelas is again offering sales, the 1860 Army:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Pietta-Model-Army-Caliber-Black-Powder-Revolver/705022.uts?searchPath=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3D734095080%26CQ_search%3Dpietta

Interesting that the sale price for the 1860 is the regular price just one year ago.

Regards,
Richard

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2017, 02:12:29 PM »
Maybe I’m too hard on Cabela’s but the last “special” I tried to get in on was a fiasco.  That was for a Griswold & Gunnison around the turn of the year.  After a week of having placed the order they notified me that it was on back order.  OK then, backorder – but then after another ten days or so I got another e mail that told me there would be no backorders.  You know how we are about new guns, I’m the same way and it was exhausting and finally disappointing.  Sort a pissed me off.  Got a Griswold from EMF so it’s all good now – but my mind is still not quite right on Cabela’s & Company – I ain’t over that schlock job yet.