photo Dragoon-Navyset_zps3txqpebh.jpg

Author Topic: Casting temperature  (Read 185 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Casting temperature
« on: March 26, 2017, 12:22:50 PM »
Hi, all my past lead casting has been by chance and the seat of my pants. I ordered and received a lead thermometer that will put some science and reproduciblity into my casting, see:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TQ8Y6Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This should go a long way to consistence casting results for minimal cost.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Casting temperature
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 01:33:34 PM »
I have one just like that. It will tell you the lead temp, but if you set the knob setting the same each time, you can be pretty close. I usually turn the heat all the way up and start casting when the lead is good and hot. Then I turn the knob back down so I am casting at about 725*. Different molds/alloys will take different temps but you can set the pot the same each time for each variable.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 08:23:41 PM »
I use the thermostat knob on my Lee pot as well, coupled with the visual look of the lead itself after fluxing. If it starts turning colors it's too hot.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 09:36:42 AM »
Hi kirk, that has worked in the past for me too. Find the correct thermostat setting and leave it there. I also purchased the thermometer to do nitre bluing in a Lee 20lb pot. The color gained in nitre bluing is very dependent on the salt bath temperature. The nitre salts can also be used for hardening a springs and revolver parts.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!