photo Dragoon-Navyset_zps3txqpebh.jpg

Author Topic: Colt barrel removal is easy  (Read 192 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Colt barrel removal is easy
« on: April 06, 2017, 06:12:54 AM »
Hi, while Colts have issues, one very useful characteristic of the Colt's is the ability to easily remove the barrel from the revolver. The 1858 Remington is a different story. Barrel removal with simple tools can be difficult. Some use a 2x4 in the 1858 frame, but that risks deforming the frame. A better approach is to have tools that can get the job done. I had already purchased a big ass vise to hold the barrel of the 1858, but my current wrenches were too small for the barrel removal task. To that end of being able to either remove, or move an 1858 barrel for windage adjustment, I now have some real barrel removing tools:

When that wrench isn't being used for barrel removal, it may be helpful for watch repair?  *6' *6' *6'

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Colt barrel removal is easy
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 06:46:43 AM »
Nice.  L@.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 07:04:10 AM »
 I've got a Wilton journeyman vise, a four foot crescent wrench and a ten pound sledge hammer and there ain't nuffin I cant take apart.  (7& (7+"

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 07:42:02 AM »
  (jh (jh (7+" *6' *6'
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 07:59:31 PM »
Richard, I also use a big-ass Crescent wrench on the frame, and simply clamp the barrel in a vise using two strips of fairly soft wood.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2017, 07:00:35 AM »
Hi, I have a Pietta 1858 Buffalo where the rear sight needed to be cranked all the way to the left to have poi=poa in windage. Pietta had over rotated the barrel during assembly. Previous attempts to rotate the barrel back (unscrew) failed. The barrel wouldn't budge. Heating it didn't even help. The weather has been bad for shooting so I decided to use my new and improved big ass wrench in an attempt to move the barrel. That wrench did the trick, you should see the aluminum barrel protection pieces that are now heavily deformed. It took that large wrench to finnaly move the barrel. Laser boresighting now show that the rear sight can be centered to have windage poi=poa. The Buffalo:

Bottom line, when all else fails, use a bigger wrench.

Regards,
Richard