photo Dragoon-Navyset_zps3txqpebh.jpg

Author Topic: Today's sustenance...  (Read 91 times)

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
Today's sustenance...
« on: April 16, 2017, 01:47:31 PM »
Set 10 pounds of pork belly curing. In a couple of weeks I'll smoke it into Green Chile Bacon.

Smoking a pair of boneless pork loins for guests later.

Grilling corn on the cob to go with it. The corn is brining right now. Also doing asparagus with the sous vide cooker.

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Today's sustenance...
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 03:19:11 PM »
Looks like you and your guests will be well fed!

Offline sourdough

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 04:22:26 PM »
That sure looks good! Wish I was in your neighborhood!

If anyone likes smoked salmon, and has access to fresh/frozen salmon and has a smoker, I have a killer recipe for some. I am from Alaska so reds are Sockeye, kings are Chinook, and silvers are Coho.

Cut 4-6 red, king, or silver salmon filets into ½”-3/4” wide strips, skin on. [Discard the strip (one per filet) along the lateral line because it is full of tiny bones.] Refrigerate the strips.

Salmon Brine:
1 ½ cups brown sugar
¾ cup salt (non-iodized preferred)
1 Tbsp. Garlic powder
½ cup dark rum (Myers Rum preferred, but plain old Bacardi Dark will do)
½ tsp. black pepper
1 tsp cayenne pepper
3 cups water

Mix WELL all ingredients in a large (17 cup/4.0 liter) or larger Rubbermaid container (or similar). Add salmon strips until container is nearly full. Refrigerate for 24 hours, shaking container every few hours to distribute brine with the fish.

Pour off and discard brine. Rinse each strip THOROUGHLY under cold running water, running your fingers vigorously over each strip until no longer “slimy”. (If you don’t do this, the fish will be terribly salty.) Pat each strip dry with paper towels, place on aluminum-foil-covered cookie sheets with the strips skin down (if possible) not touching each other, and refrigerate for 24-36 hours.

When ready for the smoker, the fish should be slightly tacky (not wet) and have a shiny glaze (pellicle).

Place strips on racks in the smoker(s) and plug smoker(s) in. If you have the smoker(s) on a wood deck or porch, be sure to elevate them by placing a couple of 2x4’s under the smoker(s) for ventilation. No deck or house fires, please! Fill the wood pan to nearly overflowing with your favorite wood chips and put this on the smoker heating element. You’ll need 3, maybe 4 pans of chips. Each pan will take an hour or so to burn completely to ash. (I always liked Luhr-Jensen alder chips. Apple or cherry work well, but hickory may be a bit smoky-strong. Get the stuff that looks like very coarse sawdust. The big chips don’t work as well in the Chief smokers). Make sure you have several days to do this operation, as it has to be monitored.

When it looks right to you (always personal preference), it’s all about color and texture, remove to a board covered with a layer of paper towels and let cool to room temp.

Bag ‘em up in Zip-Locs and you’re done. Please don’t eat the skin: it’s nasty.

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 07:48:04 PM »
I do salmon occasionally.