Author Topic: Caps,Old and New  (Read 812 times)

Offline Eric N.

• View Profile
Caps,Old and New
« on: November 25, 2016, 06:33:20 PM »
When I started shooting Colt black powder revolvers back in High Scool (1970) it seems I remember the caps were thicker. Never having a cap jam,ever. The fact is,you had to take your finger nail to remove the spent cap off the nipple. The caps came in a blue plastic container like the steel Remington caps do now. I think they were made in Italy. They were the only caps that I could find at the local Gun Shows at the time.  Anybody else remember these? The gun was an 1851 Navy steel frame,.36 cal.  I remember it was accurate as hell.  The older you get,the better you were.   Anyway,just asking.
The easy we make difficult,the difficult we make imposable.  Some days its so true.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
Re: Caps,Old and New
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 07:07:13 PM »
The only caps I could get in the early 70's were Remington that came in a white tin with no size marked. I don't remember them being any thicker. The gun I was using had #9 nipples and the caps had to be pinched to fit but I think they were still brass like today's. Caps back in the 19th century were thicker and made from copper. I haven't bought any Remington caps in a long time but they came in a white metal tin with a green and white logo. Steel caps?

Offline Eric N.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 09:36:26 PM »
Not steel,I cant remember if they were brass or copper.
The easy we make difficult,the difficult we make imposable.  Some days its so true.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 11:54:58 PM »
Not steel,I cant remember if they were brass or copper.

You said they came in a blue plastic container like the steel Remington caps do now. AFAIK Remingtons still come in a green and white metal container. RWS come in a red plastic container. Before that they came in a metal one with a red label.

Offline Eric N.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2016, 08:27:56 AM »
They mite HAVE been red.  Its been a long time.  But I do remember one thing.  You had to pinch them to keep then on the nipple.

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2016, 09:53:37 AM »
Here is a thread I started on the '58 Remington forum.
http://1858remington.com/discuss/index.php?topic=9286.0
I still have some of the red plastic cap containers, they are Dixie brand and made in Italy. You can see pictures on page 2 of the thread.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 09:56:35 AM by mazo kid »