photo Dragoon-Navyset_zps3txqpebh.jpg

Author Topic: Conicals for Pocket Models  (Read 378 times)

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
Conicals for Pocket Models
« on: January 26, 2017, 10:25:59 AM »
Does anybody cast conicals for their pocket models?  Other than original versions, are current style molds that cast conicals in that size available? 

I'm currently running low on .320 lead round ball and have been contemplating getting a mold to cast that size (or close to it).  The thought did occur of buying a bag of #0 buckshot and being set for life.  But the thought having the ability to cast both round ball and conical for it would be nice.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Conicals for Pocket Models
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 10:53:59 AM »
Hi whip, there is so little powder capacity in the pockets that I can't see the value in conicals. Whether ball or conical, the pipsqueaks won't bring down an elephant.  *6'

Careful with the buckshot, they are hardened lead and may need some serious loading equipment to load. I use an arbor press to load buckshot.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 12:53:25 PM »
The value???? It comes down to individual mindset.  Value has nothing to do with it, regardless of calibre. Casting and shooting conicals from a pocket percussion cylinder has just as much value as buying a conversion cylinder and shooting cartridges.

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 01:58:44 PM »
You're right about the small powder capacity, but it doesn't take a lot of lead to generate a good stash of ammo for it, so being able to cast both RB and Conical would add a little diversity to the shooting experience.   

I do have a press, but probably won't go the route of .320 buckshot anyway. 

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 02:42:10 PM »
Say whip, other than the reproduction brass moulds, I do not know of another source to cast a current style for the pocket. Wish I could be of more help.

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 05:09:24 PM »
Thanks Scooby, seems like I have seen several different brass molds with various importers marks on the auction sites that would work for pocket models.  I'll keep my eyes open for one.  A brass mold would be kind of cool to have.

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 05:46:09 PM »
I use three different brass reproduction Colt moulds in 31, 36, and 44 calibre. The work real good. Ya just have to get lucky when buying one with the hope that they line up square. The conicals cast from them are heel base and easy to load.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 07:35:42 AM »
The value???? It comes down to individual mindset.  Value has nothing to do with it, regardless of calibre. Casting and shooting conicals from a pocket percussion cylinder has just as much value as buying a conversion cylinder and shooting cartridges.

Hi scooby, you are absolutely correct, my values aren't the values of others. I sometimes become judgemental, something that I must avoid and continue to work on not doing.  ^j) ^j)

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!