photo Dragoon-Navyset_zps3txqpebh.jpg

Author Topic: Uberti 1860?  (Read 1068 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Uberti 1860?
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2017, 12:43:55 PM »
Hi, after spending a few days smoothing out the new Uberti 1860, I can now compare it to my Pietta 1860s that have also been smoothed out. Both brands have reduced power springs.

I must admit that there is little difference in feel and operation between the Uberti and Pietta 1860. The first nice weather day I will shoot both the Uberti and Pietta 1860 with C&B for additional comparison.

From what I have experienced to date, there is little difference between the brands for the 1860 as it relates to feel and function. The bluing of the Uberti seems better, but there is very little difference overall. IMO considering that one can get a Pietta 1860 for ~$100 less than the Uberti, the choice for a first 1860 is obvious.

Having said that about the 1860, I do find the Uberti 1851s superior in function than the Pietta 1851s. The Uberti 1858 is far superior to the Pietta 1858 because it faithfully represents the correct dimensions of the original Remington 1858. The Uberti 1858 is also slicker operating than the Pietta 1858.

This is just one old man's opinion. Others may have a different opinion.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2017, 03:44:51 PM »
Richard, regarding your opening remarks, I have recently bought three Ubertis,
and experience the same feel you describe. The only flaw , is a small blister, or really
a cratch that seems to be a cover up at factory with extra clear finish on one side of the grip.
I got that from Cimmaron. A phone  call to them with the compaint ,yielded a ho hum response.
The mechanics on all three however are good.Tight very consistent cylinder gap when wedge is pushed in firm.

Hewy
Better to be gettin than gettin got.
I FLY THE BATTLE FLAG OF NORTH & SOUTH
TO HONOR ALL WHO FOUGHT.

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2017, 05:22:44 PM »
Hewy,
 They may seem right (now) but, also like Richard noted, the arbors are short.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2017, 07:01:11 PM »
Meaning, they will eventually change with shooting time ?
Hewy
TO HONOR ALL WHO FOUGHT.

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2017, 08:32:26 PM »
Well, nope. They're short and they'll stay that way untill corrected. That's Uberti and until they change the manufacturing process, they'll always be short. It's an easy fix though so, Uberti is still a/the premier arms maker. The best action parts out of the box.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2017, 08:54:04 PM »
They will not have a consistent cylinder gap, after reseting the wedge.
I now recall your lesson, a few months ago regarding measuring the depth then adding a button to cylinder base pin.
Thanks for a kick in.....ah reminder.
Hewy
TO HONOR ALL WHO FOUGHT.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2017, 04:25:50 AM »
Hi Hewy, I you're only interest in hitting steel plate or other big targets, you don't need to do anything with your Uberti arbors. If you intend on target shooting, hitting where you aim, you need to fix the short arbor. or use a workaround.

I have experienced that when the wedge of a short arbor Uberti is hammered in with the barrel/cylinder gap ideal, the restoring force of the barrel wanting to spring back keeps the gap the same until the wedge is moved. That suggests a workaround for the short arbor by using a leaf gauge to set the gap. As long as you don't move the wedge during a shooting session, that workaround is effective. However, if you use conversion cylinders, like me, changing cylinders after a cylinder is shot is a pita for resetting the gap.

When you change the barrel/cylinder gap you change the poi.

Regards,
Richard 
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2017, 07:37:53 AM »
That's where we disagree, setting a "clearance" with the wedge positioned "just so" still allows movement every time the revolver is fired. Depending on the load, the wedge may not move but there is still no set path for vibration. Damage is still being done, minute as it may be. 
 The " work around " method is no different than someone just shooting one out of the box. Using a guage imparts zero magic.

The only so called "workaround " would be a couple of washers dropped in to act as a temporary fix and allow the wedge to be seated properly. This way, vibrations are transmitted throughout the revolver as a single unit which is the point. An interrupted pathway is always interrupted, no matter what method is used to set a "clearance ", unless it involves solid arbor/ barrel assy contact.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 07:58:36 AM by 45 Dragoon »

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2017, 09:55:40 AM »
Hi, got to shoot the new Uberti 1860 with C&B. What a sweet shooter! Using a two hand hold from 25yds, I shot 2.5" groups ~7" high. I also sighted in my Pietta 1860 revolver with the new taller front sight to have poi-poa. The Pietta felt as good as the Uberti, but was only able to do 3" groups from 25yds. I may need to narrow that front sight since it is currently 1/8" wide. The new Uberti is such a sweet shooter that I won't change that front sight. That will keep the Uberti 1860 original.

Bottom line is that the new Uberti 1860 with correct length arbor, sliX-Shot nipples, and reduced power spring is one hell of a C&B revolver. It will be a joy to own and shoot. The Uberti 1860 is an excellent repo and highly recommended to anyone seeking to buy an 1860 revolver.

I'm now faced with a cleanup issue. I need to make sure that I don't get the Uberti and Pietta part mixed up when cleaning both these revolvers at the same time.

Regards,
Richard

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2017, 01:22:16 AM »
ssb73q, very nice and informative reporting. Your Uberti 1860 looks great and it sounds like it shoots great with the arbor fix, slix-shots and lighter spring.  At 7" high at 25 yards, that's not too high, IMHO. I would leave it too. What charge were you using?

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2017, 08:57:51 AM »
Hi Lonesome, I was using 30gr by volume (28gr by weight) Black Mz, lubed Sagebrush wad, and 0.457" ball.

Regards,
Richard
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 08:59:26 AM by ssb73q »

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2017, 05:18:44 AM »
Hi, what's better than one Uberti 1860? Two Uberti 1860s. Last night I purchased a used Uberti full fluted 1860 from SUZUKIBRUCE. The revolver was made in 2002 and the photos suggest that the color case hardening is a bit washed out.

I previously purchased a used G&G from Bruce and was very pleased on how accurate his selling description. I'm anticipating the same for the 1860.

The full fluted cylinder of the 1860 is as ugly as hell, but will add some interest to my collection. I intend on seeing if the Taylor Uberti 1860 .45 Colt conversion cylinder will work in this revolver. A Wolff reduced power spring will be added to the revolver and it will be shot. I'll post some photos after checking out the revolver.

Regards,
Richard 

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2017, 05:41:04 AM »
I like the looks of the full fluted cylinder Richard but beyond that the full fluted cylinder model feels better balanced than the standard model.   It's a little lighter but I don't notice any difference in recoil.   
I'm glad you bought it from Bruce,  if it had still been for sale today I might not have been able to resist it.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2017, 10:11:47 AM »
Hi, the Uberti 1860 I purchased from Bruce arrived today. IMO for the age of 2002, the revolver is in good condition. The action is as slick as goose grease and the color case hardening is much better than Bruce's photos. There are a couple of dings in the grip, some minor buggering of the screw heads, and a couple of small marks on the barrel bluing. As Bruce described, there is also bluing wear near the cylinder bolt notches. The revolver has been stripped, cleaned, and is now drying in my oven.

I will replace the hammer mainspring with a Wolff reduced power spring, correct the arbor length, and I have ordered a new Uberti 1860 screw kit from Dixie. The brass trigger guard will be polished and anti-seize will be put on the nipples threads.

This revolver will become my future goto C&B 1860 revolver.

Regards,
Richard
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 10:25:04 AM by ssb73q »

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2017, 10:57:22 AM »
"Hi, my name is Richard and I have a revolver addiction"....
How many does this make now? (jh
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"