photo Dragoon-Navyset_zps3txqpebh.jpg

Author Topic: A Couple More Original Moulds  (Read 90 times)

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
A Couple More Original Moulds
« on: March 02, 2017, 09:58:38 PM »
I got these two from Mazo as well. The first one will be included in my 18TH century kit. The second one will be used for an original 1850's era percussion rifle.

This mould has a very good cavity and is near perfect as far as being round. It throws a .387 ball and will be perfect for my 40 calibre flinter pistol. I will start taking the mould with me when I go to Rendezvous and cast on the fire with it.

This one is about as cool as they come. What a neat old original. Balls cast out at .349 and are perfect for a 36 calibre muzzleloader.

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: A Couple More Original Moulds
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 07:37:35 AM »
I see you are making good use of your "down time"! I am glad those molds went to a good home and that they will be used. Some of the old molds have cavities that aren't really quite round, but they seem to shoot OK.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 07:41:31 AM by mazo kid »

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: A Couple More Original Moulds
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 08:34:32 AM »
Thanks again Mazo. These old moulds mean a lot to me.

I agree that many of the cavities in the old moulds are not fully round. The second mould was originally cutt out of round.

A lot of the smiths that made the cherry cutters were likely not concerned with it coming out a perfect sphere. And I am sure that the men roaming the woods shooting balls from such moulds never gave it a single thought.

I have shot a lot of out of round cast balls from my flintlocks over the years and have found them to shoot just fine.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 08:37:47 AM by scooby »