photo Dragoon-Navyset_zps3txqpebh.jpg

Author Topic: 45-60 WCF Relaoding Tool  (Read 215 times)

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
45-60 WCF Relaoding Tool
« on: March 04, 2017, 04:14:15 PM »
Came in the mail today. I won it on auction. I did not get it for a super good deal, but with this particular tool, I have no problem making exceptions.

This one happens to be a first version of the third modle Winchester tool, patented in 1880. It is an improved version of the two previous cast iron modles. The third modle was made of forged steel. This particular tool is oversized to fit the cases of the larger 1876 rifle. A more popular and smaller version of the third modle was also being made at the same time for smaller calibres for other rifles. The 3rd modle 1880 patent tool would see a second version come out later on that did away with the spoon shaped handles. This improved version continued on in all of the calibres that the spoon handle version did. However, the improved version had more streamlined handles which made it lighter. It came out around 1890. I also find it interesting that Winchester was not stamping their name in this version of the 1880. They did so in the second version.

This particular version of the 1880 patent has some significance to me. It is somewhat rare, being only produced for roughly a 10 year span. Also, this tool was made for the 1876 Rifle that was essentially obsolite by 1888. Then there is the fact that four different calibres were produced in the 1876 modle, and the 45-60 was second in production falling in behind the 45-75. So with that, not too many of these particular calibre 1880 tools were made compared to other calibres, versions, and patent modles.

Well, regardless, I continue on with my ventures to reload for my black powder cartridge rifles with the old original tools. I am proud to be the new owner of this one. I found it to do an excellent job of repriming and seating by conducting a few trial runs. I seated two different bullets cast from original Winchester fourth vesion moulds made specifically for the 1876. The down side though is that I do not have an original 1876 to shoot the loads from. So a Uberti reproduction will have to do. 

A look at the Uberti. The 1876 is a huge lever rifle weighing in at ten pounds. The receiver and forend are huge compared to an 1873 and the later 1892's and 1894's. Pack one in the woods on a hunt and you will know that you have quite the hunk of steel and wood in your grip. But damn are they one fine and unique piece of American history.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 05:27:45 PM by scooby »

Offline sltm1

• View Profile
Re: 45-60 WCF Relaoding Tool
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 04:40:26 PM »
Very nice, did it come with the primer removal tool?

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 05:20:47 PM »
Happy to see you received the tool in good shape Scooby,  and they got it to you in only a week.   

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 05:28:23 PM »
Very nice, did it come with the primer removal tool?

Nope Roland, it is missing the decapping pin just like 99% of them. I have a reproduction on the way.

Yep Mike, it was a quick turn around. The tool turned out to be in mighty fine shape. And get this, it has the same ol pock marks on the side like we spoke about.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 05:45:21 PM »
Yep I noticed the little marks in the photos.   The tool looks to be in better shape than the auction photos showed.   I'm glad it's a good one.   

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 10:11:45 PM »
Ahh...45/60. Isn't that the Winchester Tom Horn used to not shoot that boy he was hung for? L@J
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"