photo Dragoon-Navyset_zps3txqpebh.jpg

Author Topic: SliX-Shot nipples  (Read 224 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
SliX-Shot nipples
« on: March 14, 2017, 09:34:35 AM »
Hi, I purchased some SliX-Shot nipples for my Pietta Paterson revolver. I installed one of the SliX-Shot nipples and then measured the nipple height compared to the other installed Pietta nipples. What I found out is that the SliX-Shot nipples are 0.010" longer than the Paterson nipples. Spare Pietta nipples were then measured and yes indeed the SliX-Shot nipples are 0.010" longer than the Pietta nipples.

I suspect that the SliX-Shot nipples will work, but wonder if using the SliX-Shot nipples will excessively dent the hammer face and peen the SliX-Shot nipple ends?

What do you think? Do you think that the longer SliX-Shot nipples should be used? Have you noticed the difference in length between Slix-Shot nipples and stock nipples?

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Fingers McGee

• Global Moderator
  • Show Me Shootout 2014 - TTN Hammer gun & BP
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Re: SliX-Shot nipples
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 10:02:36 AM »
Not all nipples are created equal.  The Paterson obviously uses a shorter nipple than a later model Colt replica.  Have you tried the Slix Shots on another Pietta in your collection - an 1851 or 1860?  And, what was the result?When the SlixShots first came out, there was a problem with nipples too long for some models and manufacture dates.  Pietta Patersons may fall into that category.

I would not shoot the pistol with the hammer hitting the nipple.  You will peen the nipples and damage the face of the hammer.  Don't ask me how I know.  You can cut the face of the hammer back to compensate for the length of the nipples if you desire.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 10:20:49 AM »
Hi Fingers, thanks for the reply. The Pietta Paterson nipples are the same length as the Pietta 1851, 1858, and 1860.

The main reason I ordered the SliX-Shot nipples was to minimize hammer blow back when I lighten the Paterson hammer spring.

I think I will make a jig for my mini-lathe to shorten the SliX-Shot nipples by 0.010".

IMO this is another example of a third party vendor not doing their homework.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 10:48:20 AM »
I agree with you, Richard.
I have never personally felt the need for aftermarket nipples, although I can see the benefit when using reduced power mainsprings.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline AntiqueSledMan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 02:41:36 AM »
Just for the record, my 1873 C&B uses the same Pietta nipples as the others.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 08:45:03 AM »
Hi, I made a jig for my mini-lathe to attempt removing 0.010" off the SliX-Shot nipples. What I learned is that the SliX-Shot nipples are a hardened stainless steel that could not be easily cut with high speed cutting tools. IMO a grinder will be required to shorten those nipples. I gave up.

IMO the longer SliX-Shot nipples may be useful to put on a revolver with a large gap. I have no revolvers with large gaps so the SliX-Shot nipples go into the spare parts box.

Regards,
Richard

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 07:18:01 PM »
Richard, could you recess the nipple seat surface on the cylinder the needed amount?

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 07:38:28 PM »
Hi mazo, interesting idea. However, I would hate to modify the cylinder just to use SliX-Shot nipples. Maybe the nipples could be easily stoned or sanded down 0.010"?

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2017, 07:06:37 AM »
Hi, I just checked SliX-Shot nipples on some Uberti BP revolvers. They too have the SliX-Shot nipples are 0.010" too long.

If you have SliX-Shot nipples on your revolvers, I suggest you check the length of them to determine if they are the correct length for your revolver. Too long nipples will be hard on the hammer and probably peen the hammer face and SliX-Shot nipples if used for any length of time.

Regards,
Richard
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 07:46:47 AM by ssb73q »