Author Topic: Cabelas  (Read 1179 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Cabelas
« on: March 17, 2017, 07:08:52 AM »
Hi, I see that Cabelas hasn't had any of their Pietta revolvers on sale for a long time. I wonder if this is the result of BassPro taking them over?

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Cabelas
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 07:46:10 AM »
I noticed this too.

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• SASS #105711
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 07:50:08 AM »
same here...

"BASSPRO" taking the "B" out of bass since 1975
l
l_______
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
  JEEP OWNER!

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 10:11:49 AM »
The Bass Pro/Cabela's deal hasn't gone through, last I saw the deal was on hold and being scrutinized by the FTC or SEC due to the size of the merger. 

I'd bet Cabela's has decided not to do as much discounting of merchandise while that process works it way out, so that's probably why we don't see the sales, but at this point I doubt BPS has genuine control over Cabela's pricing, etc.

On a somewhat related note, I read last week that Gander Mtn. is "restructuring" and closing some stores. 

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 10:50:55 AM »
Nope, Cabelas doesn’t seem like itself anymore.  That was a great place for 20+ years and more - but now, not so much.  That was big fun back in the day of those fat catalogues full of revolvers.  Wish it would just go back to the way it useta was. I never really rhymed with BassPro anyway.  Maybe the Feds will nix the merger, I hope so.  Stiff competition makes the world go around and we have enough monopolies here already and too few black powder things.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 10:52:45 AM by G Dog »

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 11:22:34 AM »
G-Dog, I'm curious to see whether it'll actually go through or not as well. 

Around the time it was announced I think they were anticipating the deal to be wrapped up and done Q4 of 2016 or Q1 2017.  Seems like it's nowhere near that, and you know how it goes, the longer anything projected to happen goes on without happening, the less likely it seems. 

I've no real allegiance to BPS - my local store quit selling real BP about 6 months ago.   

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 01:09:19 PM »
I was told by a Cabelas employee that the merger is still pending and that the plan is close the Sydney Nebraska offices and move all Cabelas executive offices to Springfield MO.    He also said that Cabelas in Denver is selling the BP revolvers they have on hand and won't be restocking until futher notice.   Currently the Cabelas store North of Denver has just two Uberti Walkers in stock.  The only other BP guns they have are Pedersoli long guns.

Offline jaxenro

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 05:18:07 PM »
If the market exists someone will pick it up

S17 was probably bought at the latest  in F16 maybe S16 (i am used to about a nine month lead time) so they are probably minimizing buys and inventory levels and don't need to turn do quick until BPS takes over and sets the agenda. One benefit of something like this for the companies involved is combining both merchants and planning & allocation. Essentially you can plan 300 stores about as easily as 200 especially if they have demand and space planning systems.

It really depends on the margin dollars they are turning from BP versus the space involved and if they see it as a driver also.

Check out my website www.percussionrevolvers.com

Offline AntiqueSledMan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 04:12:09 AM »
Hello Guys,

I just did an online survey from Cabela's.
Hopefully the merger or acquisition is dead.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 04:52:57 AM »
I got hit with that survey too.    Seemed like the I answers I wanted to give were not among the options.   Rumor has it that if the buyout happens Cabelas will remain as a separate entity.  Probably close quite a few stores though.

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 07:58:55 AM »
Cabelas just finished a $3 million law suite that was settled out of court.They are in middle of
pay out now . Could be
something that might have delayed buyout .
Hewy
BETTER TO GETTIN than GETTIN GOT.

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• SASS #105711
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 08:52:35 AM »
Cabelas just finished a $3 million law suite that was settled out of court.They are in middle of
pay out now . Could be
something that might have delayed buyout .

whats that about???
l
l_______
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
  JEEP OWNER!

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2017, 12:17:19 PM »
Seems somebody ( gold digger ) brought a class action suite.
The claim was phone calls made to Cabelas , could on occation be recorded.
But what happed to this group claimed the person answering  calls did not make the following statement,
"this call could be recorded for training etc etc etc."
$3 mill later Calbelas settled.
Hewy
BETTER TO GETTIN than GETTIN GOT.

Offline jaxenro

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2017, 12:33:35 PM »
Cabelas had over 4 billion in revenue in 2016 3 million is a blip and probably half covered by insurance anyway. It's about 2% of one years net profits

What would worry me more is turning 150 profit on 4.2 billion in sales or under 4%. I would expect 5% or more
Check out my website www.percussionrevolvers.com

Online prof marvel

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2017, 10:34:46 PM »
What would worry me more is turning 150 profit on 4.2 billion in sales or under 4%. I would expect 5% or more

And that, in my opinion, is the problem today. Investors do not care about quality, or personell, or even morals. Investors only want
double digit profit and double digit growth ( and they don't care how).

So all the postives of quality products, customer satisfaction, honest dealings, taking care of employees,
being a "good corporate neighbor" to the community  are all thrown under the bus in favor of "GREED" .

Cabelas should never have gone public. They certainly would not have the number of stores they have today, but
they would not have sold their soul.

just my 2 bits.