Author Topic: Made The March Woodsrun Last Weekend  (Read 335 times)

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Made The March Woodsrun Last Weekend
« on: March 18, 2017, 10:54:24 PM »
Only two of my Montana buddies were able to cross the boarder into Idaho for this one that took place last Fri, Sat, and Sun. The third was heading to the doctor the day they left and could not make it. Turns out he was awefull sick with some kind of chest ailment.

Mike and I always feel our woods trips are better when we are graced by our friends on the other side of the Bitterroots. We were sorry that the third partner was not there. These Montana boys know their stuff. Outstanding historians they are. Their gear is as good as it gets and they are excellent woodsmen. They fit right in with us.

We had mixed weather for the two and a half days. It would snow a bit, then turn to rain, then the wind would blow like hell. Saturday night, we got one hell of a rain storm, but we faired perfectly tucked under the half face shelter. It was a hell of a lot warmer though than the run that Mike and I made last month. Of course, it helps when you have a shelter like we did on this trip, and not sleeping out in the open with one blanket like I almost alway do.

Sunday morning produced outstanding clear skys and warm sun. We got in one hell of an informal shooting match on that day and probably enjoyed the warm weather more than we did shooting. It was a grand time and more enjoyable than any rendezvouse that I attend.

Here are a few pics.

The Montana Boys shared their load on just one sled for this run. The guy in the rear hand built the sled out of ash wood. He is currently in the process of making both Mike and I sleds. They will be shorter ones though and just right for one man's load. And as always as it is amongst us, they will be gifted and we will not be allowed to pay money for them. Hand made items from us will be returned in the future.

Camp is set up and a good fire is cutting the evening chill.

Mike packed me in a lean chunk of Whitetail loin meat from his deer last fall. What a fine suprise. Roasted deer meat is as good as it gets. The Montana Boys roasted wild turkey that they got last fall with their flinters.

We always boil up a pot of corn mixed with some kind of meat too for supper and pass the pot around amongst us.

The following four pics are of us all making smoke Sunday morning.

A close up of my York County rifle gunne, shot pouch and horn. I am using a new powder charger that I cold formed this winter out of sheet copper. This is one sweet shooting flinter. It has become my main woods running rifle over the past four years.

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
Re: Made The March Woodsrun Last Weekend
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 06:32:32 AM »
Very nice.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 08:43:45 AM »
Boy! I would have loved to be there!  L@.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 08:48:25 AM »
Looks like Sunday was the pick of the weekend.   Nice photos of the shooting and campfire in front of the shelter.   I like the copper charger you made,  it'll really look nice in a couple years.

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 09:52:39 AM »
And a grand time was had by all! Nice of you to share your experiences again. Hmmm.....sheet copper charger. I just happen to have a good sized piece of that. I need to finish some of my many projects first though.  L@J

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 03:05:02 PM »
What's all that white stuff?

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 07:07:08 PM »
EM, have you forgotten so soon?!