Author Topic: Gotta have a 2nd Gen Walker  (Read 346 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
Re: Gotta have a 2nd Gen Walker
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2017, 11:45:53 AM »
Hi Krylandalian, I have 2 ASM Colt Walkers for sale here. They are both dated 1989. Let me know if ya would like one or both.  ;)

Sammy, he's looking for a 2nd Gen Colt Walker.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2017, 12:04:12 PM »
Oh, Okay I see.  :-[

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2017, 02:02:49 PM »
 Kry, yes I do think the one 99whip posted is one of the "good ones". It has the right trigger shape and the right grip shape to NOT be one of the ones with the unauthentic(for a Walker) "COLT'S PATENT" marking on the frame. In fact I think it may be one of the very rare ones that I didn't even mention, which does not have the overly rounded grip butt. Very unusual. It has the more correct stout grip, as opposed to the skinny Uberti grip, but it is not rounded. This to me is the best of all grip shapes on any replica Walker. None are exact but this one, IMHO, is the best and closest to the original. I think I have only seen one other like this. That said, the pics are pretty fuzzy and I can't tell for sure that it doesn't have "COLT'S PATENT" on the frame. If this is a concern to you I would highly recommend asking the seller if it has it or not.

As to the serial number, 4068, it is actually a later serial number for the 2nd Gens. According to Dennis Russell's book "Percussion Colt Revolver's - The Second Generation - Collector's Handbook & Price Guide" the 2nd Gen Walker serial numbers went from 1200 to 4120. Plus there were some with 5 digits running from 32256 to 32500. I think, but I am not sure, the 5 digit ones are the ones that typically have the long Uberti grip shape and the "COLT'S PATENT" on the frame. I think the revolver in question, #4068, might be during a transitional time where they were switching from ASM parts to Uberti parts. I have no specific information to that effect, I'm simply basing it on observations of known differences between Uberti and ASM and looking at the shapes of the parts on Colt 2nd Gens. In other words, it's all theoretical but anyone can see the same thing by looking at Uberti's and ASM's of the 1980's when the 2nd Gens were being produced.

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2017, 09:59:12 PM »
LonesomePigeon, this is great help.  Thank you.  I am considering moving on the one that 99Whip pointed out.  I ll  ask the seller about the frame stamp. 

What about this one?

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/679967553

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2017, 10:15:55 PM »
Captainkirk, Mad Dog Stafford, 99Whip,  thank you much! 

99Whip.  You got it!  I ll  pay the postage too!  This goes for all others who can help, and do!

I have nt  begun bidding for it yet though.  There seems to be a lot of activity moving on it.  I ll  research a little more on it before moving.  There are a few days yet.  I ll  throw down with a fair market price regardless of the bidding and call it good.  See what goes.  If someone goes higher, so be it.  I ll  not engage further.

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2017, 05:34:20 PM »
So s  to help you help me and such, I have a book that shows,-

Colt Firearms Division    1847 Walker   (Heritage too, however, I left them out).

September 1981 - -   Serial ranges:  32256 - 32500 . . . . . . . . . . . . .  245    built
April 1982 . . . . . .- -            ''                  1200 - 4120 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2921    ''

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2017, 06:39:56 PM »
Seller replied- 

'Yes.  It is stamped Colt's Patent on the frame.'

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2017, 07:12:22 PM »
Seller replied- 

'Yes.  It is stamped Colt's Patent on the frame.'

So then, that would make it less desirable, but would not leave it out of the race completely, right?
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2017, 09:52:45 AM »
 Kry, since the first one has "COLT'S PATENT" on the frame that makes it harder to decide. It's still a genuine 2nd Gen Colt with what I consider the best grip shape. It also looks like it has really vivid case colors. Not all of them do. For the right price I would buy it and be proud to own it. Here is another one just like it that I just found but I think the case colors are better one the first one. You have to scroll down to listing #67691JOS.
http://www.cherrys.com/handguns.htm
http://www.cherrys.com/stokpics/67691jos.jpg
The second one you posted http://www.gunbroker.com/item/679967553 appears to be the standard 2nd Gen Walker with no "COLT'S PATENT" on the frame and the rounded grip butt. I would ask the seller for sure though because the pics are not that great.
It may come down to which you think is best "COLT'S PATENT" on the frame with no rounded grip butt, or no "COLT'S PATENT" on the frame with rounded grip butt. Either one, IMHO, is better than the Uberti grip shape.

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2017, 11:04:40 PM »
No.  Not out of the race completely. It sure slowed me down though.  I just checked it.  There are 32 bids and it s  at arond $580. Seems people are trickle bidding it.  There are 3 more days to go.  If I was to decide on it, I would throw down  750 - 1000.  1000 being the highest.

I would really like to have one as LonesomePigeon described. With a lower serial number and without the frame stamp.

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2017, 11:13:31 PM »
LonesomePigeon, this was   v e r y   helpful!  I m  looking through that list now.  I was really hoping to find more sources of Colt sellers other than GB, Collectors , .   You have helped a lot.  I consider you to have contibuted to my ultimate aquisition of one. , ,earning worthy of at least a partial finders fee.

I hope you can keep it up. 

Thank you again.

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2017, 11:19:47 AM »
Kry, glad I can help and glad when anybody has an interest, or is it obsession, in the minutia of details. Here is a link to a picture of the only known cased Civilian Walker, #1022. It shows what an authentic period cased Walker with all the accoutrements looks like. I hope to duplicate this case one day.
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=10ndob7&s=5#.WZXWM7pFw5t
 Finder's fee? Hmmm. Am I in the running to purchase one of your ASM Walker's at 1847 prices? For the record I already have a Colt marked ASM Walker but I wouldn't mind a pair!

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2017, 01:13:41 AM »
All this funny serial number, stamp, no stamp business.  There seems to be 4 variations of 2nd gen Walkers-  1- 5 digit sn w/frame stamp,  5 digit w/out,  4 digit with and without.  Also, the round grip long/short trigger and the slender grip long/short trigger variations both have and don t  have the frame stamp.   S h e e s h !    Well,  I guess this means 6+ variations!

On the cover of the Colt brochure included with the black box, shows a close up of the slender?/short/no stamp  variation.  Also, it has the not so long oval cylinder stops.  Curiously, the part of the cylinder with the -  Colt s  Patent/Model U.S.M.R. is shown without any serial number on the cylinder.

I want the 'slender/short/no stamp' one.  With box/docs.

I like the idea of the ASM Walker in the offing as the finders fee for the one who finds one for me.  If this is you LonesomePigeon,  so be it.  However,  I was refering to you getting something just for the help in informing me on all of the details.  Even if it is someone else who finds one for me.    I have a few more pieces of which could be suited.  One of which is the GreyBoxer Walker I m  replacing with the BlackBoxer.  I can t  imagine giving it away, however I m  willing to offer it at a     l o w   price.  Meaning-  I would offer it to you for all your help.  Otherwise I can offer some others.  I d  have to look to see what alls left.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 01:41:35 AM by Krylandalian »

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2017, 01:19:37 AM »
BTW,  I too am after this case ( like 1022 is in).  These  'French' ?  style cases were being replicated a while ago.  I tried to get one from a seller only to have them tell me they don t  get them anymore.

Still looking.

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2017, 01:24:18 PM »
Kry seems like you are seeing all the differences. One more that you didn't mention was larger loading cut out, the area on the barrel lug where the bullet or ball passes through when you rotate the cylinder, before pressing the round down. This larger style loading cut out is found on the special commemorative "Heritage Edition". I think I have seen it once on a non-Heritage Walker. It seems apparent that there were multiple runs of these Walker's and that parts were supplied by different manufacturers at different times. It also appears there was a period when parts were mixed. I have heard that although Colt contracted with Uberti for parts, sometimes Uberti outsourced those parts from Armi San Marco.

Regarding the cases. I have seen two styles of French fit cases that resemble the original Civilian Walker. One, I think by Uberti, is very close, almost identical. The other, I think by ASM is pretty close but not as close. It is basically the same design but is too large, with too much space between the compartments. I will check my files and see if I have pictures and since photobucket won't let me post them here I will email them to you. I'll send you a pm when I have a chance to look for them.

Regarding a reward, whatever you decide is cool. I like sharing this information whether or not a reward is involved. After all, sharing info with others who are enthusiastic about the same things we are is what this forum is all about.