Author Topic: Mold Repair  (Read 242 times)

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
Mold Repair
« on: August 10, 2017, 03:03:56 PM »
I recently found an original Colt mold, the cavities are in decent shape but the pin that holds the two pieces together is really loose.  It looks like its been replaced with the wrong style pin.  This mold is probably mid 1850's and is the brass style mold before they came with a spruce plate, but it looks like a sprue plate style pin might've been the attempted replacement part as the head of it is concaved and I've never seen an original brass mold where the pin wasn't totally flat on both the top and bottom.

Has anybody ever popped that pin out, repaired or ever attempted a repair on one of these old molds?

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
Re: Mold Repair
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 07:15:40 AM »
Here's a few pics of the mold showing the problem.  Pretty obvious that this rivet was a replacement and not original to the mold as it was severely undersized.  So I drilled it out.  Here's a few pics of where I am so far with the project.  I have determined that the correct diameter for a new rivet of some type is 7/32, but I want to make it as close as possible to how it would have been done so I'm toying with a few ideas on how to best do that.  Pic 3 shows another original and how it should look.  In pic 4, if you look at the piece of the mold on the left, you can how it's recessed on the top and bottom. 

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 12:03:33 PM »
Are you planning on using it ?  I'm sure the pivot pin is pressed in.
You could do that with a matched size pin and a bench vice.Looks like
the repair pin was hammered in.
Hewy
Hewy
BETTER TO GETTIN than GETTIN GOT.

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 02:01:01 PM »
I hope to use it if I can get it fixed properly.  Whoever previously "fixed" it didn't use a good fitting rivet and the two halves would wobble all over the place.  May just need a steel pin flattened on the ends.  Will figure something out.  Thanks for the input Hewy.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 06:06:15 PM »
The mould is brass...why not try using a solid piece of 7/32 brass rod and stake the ends?
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 06:26:24 AM »
Brass is definitely an option.

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 07:44:12 AM »
Okay, so I took a piece of 1/4 inch brass rod, chucked it up in a drill and sandpapered it down to about 7/32 and at this point I've at least got a pin that could work.  Now the challenge is going to be flattening out the end of the pin (top and bottom) so that it fills the countersink space around the top and bottom.  Hammering on a separate piece of brass as a test bent the piece more than it flattened the end.  Not sure if that's a viable way to finish it or not.  Anyway, here's where I am so far.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 09:52:15 AM »
Nice work! You could try putting a big-ass center punch right smack in the center and do it that way, or squeeze both ends in a vise.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 03:51:54 PM »
Try it first before you go hammering on it. If one leg moves that's what you need,
it means the the other is locked. Cut the rod off flush and use it.
It ain't purdy anyway.
Hewy
BETTER TO GETTIN than GETTIN GOT.

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2017, 01:13:20 PM »
Don't try peening the ends in one big whack! I would put the pin in a vise and work on one end, using a small ball peen hammer to expand it to the size you want, gently tapping all around the perimeter. Then if need be, you can file/sand the end so it fits and looks good. This is your top end. Trim the pin to just over the length you need, install in the mold. Use your vise or anvil to rest the mold on and gently peen the bottom end. You might want to use a small steel rod that is rounded over to tap on the end of the pin with your hammer, so as to better expand the pin to size if the hammer is too big.