Author Topic: Cap Sucking Colts  (Read 13873 times)

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
Re: Cap Sucking Colts
« Reply #135 on: April 13, 2017, 06:55:31 PM »
Thanks Hawg and  wicket.
  That makes sense and coupled with a narrow slot in the hammer face, the so called "cap sucking" is more than likely a "modern problem" and was not such a common occurrence when these were contemporary weapons.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Offline jaxenro

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 13, 2017, 07:56:38 PM »
Thanks Hawg and  wicket.
  That makes sense and coupled with a narrow slot in the hammer face, the so called "cap sucking" is more than likely a "modern problem" and was not such a common occurrence when these were contemporary weapons.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

Common enough that someone patented a fix for it in 1864

https://www.google.com/patents/US41848#v=onepage&q=&f=false
Check out my website www.percussionrevolvers.com

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 14, 2017, 09:01:30 AM »
Hi jaxenro, thanks for that info. Seems that Colt capsucking was an issue from the beginning of Colt use.

Regards,
Richard

There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 14, 2017, 10:06:33 AM »
Wonder if it was ever put into production? I've never seen one with anything like that. Even if it did happen I doubt it was anything like what people report with todays caps. I can't remember having an actual cap jam to the point of locking a gun up and rarely get one stuck to the hammer, tho it does happen from time to time it's hardly anything to complain about. I get a lot more frustrated with my dragoon lever falling every other round.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 10:12:04 AM by Hawg »

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 14, 2017, 10:22:19 AM »
Hi Hawg, need is the mother of invention. If there is no need, there is no need or reason to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

IMO it's time to change your closely held belief on capsucking.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline jaxenro

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 14, 2017, 10:48:24 AM »
Manhattan Firearms put it in some of theirs but the market for percussion revolvers was drying up by that time. The war was over surplus (and "taken home") firearms were on the market and everyone wanted cartridge guns
Check out my website www.percussionrevolvers.com

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 14, 2017, 11:36:16 AM »
Hi Hawg, need is the mother of invention. If there is no need, there is no need or reason to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

IMO it's time to change your closely held belief on capsucking.

Regards,
Richard

Maybe but personal experience says it's not the problem now it's made out to be and I had some of those original copper caps so I kinda doubt it was a real problem back then either.

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 14, 2017, 03:47:06 PM »
I think if folks would cycle the action faster than many do, caps would be thrown clear of the action. I've seen a lot of shooters cock the hammer slowly and that is what invites the opportunity for caps/frags to fall into the action (they aren't cartridge guns!).  Of course, a late dropping bolt isn't conducive to fast or quick cycling as it will induce throw-by. So, a correctly fitted (timed close to spec.) open top should be able to function without the problem of ”cap sucking".

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com