photo Dragoon-Navyset_zps3txqpebh.jpg

Author Topic: Adjusting sights on Colts?  (Read 5536 times)

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
Re: Adjusting sights on Colts?
« Reply #60 on: May 06, 2017, 09:22:53 AM »
I do it to the revolvers I shoot the most.   Same method,  dremel tool with a cutoff wheel,  then fine tune with a file.

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 06, 2017, 09:28:26 AM »
I widen all of the notches on my Colt hammers.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2017, 09:52:28 AM »
Hi scooby and Mike, thanks for the replies. So I didn't invent widening Colt rear sights after all?  ;) ;)

I have been disassembling the revolver to remove the hammer to do the sight widening. Do you also disassemble, or simply widen the hammer sight while it's installed on the revolver?

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #63 on: May 06, 2017, 10:07:38 AM »
I do it without disassembling.

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 06, 2017, 05:12:30 PM »
I also do it while it is assembled.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 08, 2017, 08:13:53 AM »
Hi, all the Colt replica revolvers I have with taller front sights where poi=poa @25yd now have their rear hammer slot widened. I also roughed in another taller front sight on one of the new Uberti 1860 Army revolvers. The roughed in sight:

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 11, 2017, 06:17:35 AM »
Hi, the Uberti 1860 Army with taller high sight was sighted in yesterday, poi=poa @25yds. These are the two Uberti 1860 now fitted with tall front sights:

Note that the Civilian on the top has a taller front sight than the lower Army.

I still have the full fluted Uberti 1860 revolver where a tall front sight would be useful.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 18, 2017, 06:35:32 AM »
Hi, the full fluted 1860 revolver with taller sight installed was just sighted in so that poi=poa @25yds using .45 Colt. As expected the installed front sight needed to be filed down ~0.1". This revolver with a tall front sight is the shortest sight of all the Uberti 1860 revolvers equipped with a tall front sight, 0.306". The others are ~0.375". This fluted 1860 is a great shooter, ~2" groups using two hand from 25yds. The front sight still needs to have the sight edges broken and sanded smooth. This is a photo of the revolver as I came back in the house:

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 28, 2017, 05:32:11 AM »
Hi, this is a repost of my post to another topic area. In the interest of maintaining an archive on colt sights I repost here:

My son-in-law was out yesterday and we shot a new Howell stainless steel .45 Colt conversion cylinder in an Uberti 1860. The conversion cylinder worked perfectly, but when we got to shot 143 my son-in-law said "where is the front sight"? The front sight popped out of the revolver. We found it a few feet behind where my son-in-law was shooting.

I never never would have expected a tight fitting 1860 brass front sight that was also JB Weld would pop out. The sight took rough filing during sighting in, ~01" was filled off, and holstering, but then failed when shooting. This now has me concerned for all the other tall sights installed in my other 1860s.

Looking at the sight that failed, it is very shiny where maybe the JB Weld failed to hold the sight? Maybe I should rough up the sight and the barrel key slot and reinstall? Try red loctite instead of JB Weld? I may give this stuff a try:

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/thread-locking-liquids/black-max-adhesive-prod6139.aspx

Have you ever experienced a handgun front sight popping off when shooting?

Regards,
Richard

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 28, 2017, 11:13:35 AM »
Yes, the front sight on my Colt Sig Series 1860 fell out once while shooting and I couldn't find it on the ground so I ordered a new stock one from VTI and installed it with JB Weld and a lot of tapping with a hammer and brass punch as it was a very tight fit in the barrel groove. Knock on wood, it hasn't fallen out again yet.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 29, 2017, 10:01:29 AM »
Hi, the more I think about the front sight replacement for the 1860, the more I am leaning to a dovetail sight. This is a dovetail I fitted to an 1851, but didn't like how it looked on an 1851:

However, that sight may look good on an 1860 where the extended silver blade will mostly cover the exposed ends of the 1860 keyway.

I can probably set the dovetail tool to have the dovetail properly positioned perpendicular with the vertical axis of the bore. Three of these sights have been ordered from Track of the Wolf:

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/874/1/FS-TC-TWB

A dovetail sight is very secure and also allows for any windage adjustment required.

Maybe try the locktite 380 first and if that fails, do the dovetail?

Regards,
Richard

Offline Dellbert

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 30, 2017, 01:28:07 AM »
Must say I have learned a ton of info on this thread. Thanks Richard. L@.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 30, 2017, 03:54:05 AM »
Must say I have learned a ton of info on this thread. Thanks Richard. L@.

Hi Dellbert, thanks for the kind comment. I have also learned a ton doing this and not shy about sharing both my successes and failures. I'm becoming more competent maintaining my BP revolvers and like sharing my hobby with others. However, sometimes it just seems like I'm just talking to myself and few are interested.

Glad you find this thread useful, that encourages me.

Regards,
Richard
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 04:24:23 AM by ssb73q »

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 30, 2017, 05:24:41 AM »
Hi, why wait trying a dovetail on an 1860. The dovtail roughed in:

Round barrel revolvers are easier to dovetail than octagon in that there is less metal to file out.

Notice that there is still a little of the original keyway slot showing. The sight blade hanging past the dovetail should minimize that ugliness.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 30, 2017, 06:42:08 AM »
Hi, I blued the dovetail slot and installed a 0.050" wide blade dovetail sight. The sight that will be used has been ordered, a 0.080" wide sight. These are photos of the installed dovetail sight on a Uberti 1860:

I don't like how high the base of the blade is above the barrel. A better fitting of the new sight would minimize that issue. I'm still not sure that I like that blade sight on the 1860 and may like this type of dovetail sight better:

and:

If I use that sight maybe I could fill in the front and rear edge of the keyway slot with epoxy?

Regards,
Richard