photo Dragoon-Navyset_zps3txqpebh.jpg

Author Topic: T7 pellets for Walker?  (Read 294 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
T7 pellets for Walker?
« on: April 06, 2017, 09:35:36 AM »
Hi, has anyone ever tried the T7 50gr pellets in their Walker? See:
https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/5623

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
Re: T7 pellets for Walker?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 07:56:56 PM »

Regards,
Richard
Nope. Don't have a Walker. You be the guinea pig.... ;)
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 04:35:41 AM »
Hi Kirk, I'm waiting to see if Bruce is willing to step up. He's good at blowing up his revolvers with hot loads.  )lI )lI

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 04:32:22 AM »
If someone would buy me some, I'll try them in my Walker.  L@.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 10:32:55 AM »
Hi Sam, the manufacturer of the Triple Seven pellets suggest they require a 209 primer ignition. A workaround may be to put a few grains of BP in the cylinder as a booster if used in the Walker. I'm still thinking of trying the T7 pellets, but since there is nothing new under the sun, I had hoped that someone may have tried them in their Walker.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 06:07:07 PM »
Hi Sam, the manufacturer of the Triple Seven pellets suggest they require a 209 primer ignition. A workaround may be to put a few grains of BP in the cylinder as a booster if used in the Walker. I'm still thinking of trying the T7 pellets, but since there is nothing new under the sun, I had hoped that someone may have tried them in their Walker.

Regards,
Richard
Johnnie uses them with Remington caps and a 3F booster in his short barrel Remmies. Gotta be quite the punch, that!

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 08:08:08 AM »
Kimmy bought me that .22lr Shooter Reloading kit plus, their Prime All kit too for my B-Day(was 4-9). I just got the kits in today. I was thinking that since I have a Tap-O-Cap...I could make the primer stronger.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 12:41:32 PM »

Regards,
Richard
Johnnie uses them with Remington caps and a 3F booster in his short barrel Remmies. Gotta be quite the punch, that!

Johnnie uses Pyrodex pellets in his Remington sheriffs molels.   He also believes T7 is evil smokeless powder and should never be used at all.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2017, 05:30:19 PM »
I will try to give a report on this when I can.  L@.

Offline prof marvel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2017, 11:18:13 PM »
T7 is more energetic, I bought some bottles when it was all there was. You can also easily use it in straight wall cases if you run out of
smokeyless....

RE 777 -
here is a monster wall of text from Dutch Bill
http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,56740.0.html

about 777 he wrote:
----------------------------------------------------------
With Hodgdon we have Pyrodex and Triple Seven.  The whole patented concept in Pyrodex was the use of sodium benzoate with potassium nitrate.  But to get the two to react fast enough to make it a usefull firearm propellant they had to heave in something like 17 parts of potassium perchlorate.  When the powder burns the potassium perchlorate simply gives up its oxygen and remains as potassium chloride.  ANY chloride will be most corrosive in the gun.

Onto 777.
The patent on Pyrodex ran out a few years back.  Then the in-line ML hunting crowd wanted faster powders.  A big push came when the plastic sabots came into use in the in-line ML rifles.  That 17 parts of potassium perchlorate that was converted to potassium chloride causes a lot of grief with tight fitting sabots.  The little crystals of potassium chloride are scattered to the bore.  When you would push a sabot down the bore the crystals would embed in the plastic.  So you would reach a point where you could not get the sabot down onto the powder charge.

So what we see in 777 is a change to sodium dintitrobenzoate sulonate.  Think of it as going up a notch in benzoates.  This dinitrobenzoate is HIGHLY reactive with charcoal.  So there is no need to heave in a bunch of potassium perchlorate to "strengthen" the powder.  This makes 777 a lot LESS corrosive compared to Pyrodex.  When I checked the 777 on brass plates there was no surface pitting of the brass as with Pyrodex.  Hodgdon's MSDS for 777 shows potassium perchlorate.  From what I saw in my steel plate and brass sheet corrosion tests I don't think it has any perchlorate in it.

With this development of 777 Hodgdon can claim that it is an improved version of Pyrodex.  Makes getting it onto the market a lot cheaper than going through it as if it is an entirely new explosive composition.

The thing about potassium chloride corrosion in gun bores is that a lot of times the average shooter would never know it is happening.  You can get a lot of micro-pitting of the bore which gives the surface of the metal a frosted look.  This comes up to bite the shooter if the shooter switches to black powder.  BP fouling will then act as if it is welded to the bore walls.  Simply because the metal's surface is so rough and pitted.

When Hodgon formulated Triple seven they greatly reduced of amount of potassium perchlorate
compared to the amount found in Pyrodex, about 17% in Pyrodex, based on the patent covering
Pyrodex.  I ran Triple Seven against Pyrodex and the Swiss BP on mild steel plates and on sheet
brass and sheet copper.

The extent of surface leaching was the same with all three powders.

----------------------------------------------------------

but the problem is this: the Fed MSDS for T7 shows potassium perchlorate.
It is a safety doc relied upon by firefighters, EMT's, doctors and even the "bomb squads"
If Hogdon spoofs the MSDS for any reason all hell can break loose, and I don't think they are willing
to risk losing their license over a little paperwork....

And I wrote a rather long and overly verbose monograph on the topic of cleaning
seen here:
http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,56362.0.html

The use of potassium perchlorate as an additional oxidizer is the only way Hogdons was able to achieve the desired results.

here is the MSDS poop, as published by Hogdons:

https://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/MSDS%20Files/Muzzleloading/Pyrodex%20SDS%20Sheet-2013.pdf
https://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/MSDS%20Files/Muzzleloading/Triple%20Seven%20SDS%20Sheet-2013.pdf

oh and here is Mako's writeup on the chemistry of BP and Petroleum products
http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,41064.0.html

hope this helps
prof marvel

Offline prof marvel

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2017, 12:46:42 AM »
oh, and don't forget Elmer Kieth used a 300 grain lead bullet on top of all the 4f black powder he could cram in a .45 Colt Balloon Head case.
blew the cylinder and topstrap. just saying  ;)

yhs
prf mvl

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2017, 01:11:19 PM »

Regards,
Richard

Hi, I bought a box of these T7 pellets to try. I will go slow so as to not hurt the revolver or myself. I also purchased a bunch more of Olde Eynsford and some straight GOEX to have on hand for testing purposes.

Especially living in NYS I am very concerned on potential limitations on propellant purchases in the future. Having a good stock on hand may return dividends.

Regards,
Richard 

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2017, 04:48:24 PM »
Let me know your test results. I have 3 Dragoons and a pending Walker (?) I might want to try this on.

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• SASS #105711
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2017, 07:15:27 PM »
Hi Kirk, I'm waiting to see if Bruce is willing to step up. He's good at blowing up his revolvers with hot loads.  )lI )lI

Regards,
Richard

oh no, not me this time... but i do have a 5 shot "safety" cylinder you can use if you really want to test it...  )lI )lI
l
l_______
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
  JEEP OWNER!