photo Dragoon-Navyset_zps3txqpebh.jpg

Author Topic: I need something....  (Read 364 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
Re: I need something....
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2017, 06:33:18 PM »
Hi Kirk, you may want to revisit this thread?:
http://blackpowdersmoke.com/colt/index.php?topic=1710.msg19091#msg19091

Regards,
Richard
Thanks for that reminder, Richard!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2017, 10:17:15 PM »
Well, the Case Prep Center arrived. Haven't had time to give it a workout yet, but I did dabble with it some. Despite some negative reviews on the chamfer tools, they seem to work for me. The primer pocket brush (the main reason I bought it) seems to work quite well. While neither a staple nor necessity, I could see getting used to having this thing around rather quickly.
I will do a follow-up review after prepping 100 cases or so...

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2017, 06:00:59 PM »
Christmas in May...

The box. Oh, the anticipation!

Opening the box. OK, now I'm starting to get excited....

The new toy. Time will tell if it's worth while...

The accessories. NOTE: the instruction book tells of "not included optional items" such as a primer
pocket uniformer and flash hole deburring bit.

I researched the "optional accessories"...none of them will break the bank, but for the north side of a hundred bucks you would think...oh, never mind.

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2017, 12:26:46 PM »
Is there any way you might be able to adapt the optional items that you might already have?

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2017, 02:04:50 PM »
Sure. It's all 8-32 thread so most any threaded accessory will work. I'm kinda interested in the primer pocket and flash hole uniformers though. Not that they're necessary...just because! L@.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2017, 10:31:58 AM »
Well...I couldn't stand it any longer. I just ordered the 'optional' flash hole deburring tool and .44RM pilot, the Large Pistol primer pocket uniformer, and a large case mouth brush for the prep center. That should cover everything until I get back into loading for rifle and small pistol.
Yesterday I received the dies I ordered...Lee carbide .44 S/M factory crimp die and a Universal decapping die.
Now I feel like the case prep center is complete. ;)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2017, 02:55:07 PM »
OK, got to try out the Universal Decapping Die and the primer pocket cleaning function of the Trim Mate case prep center.
First, why a universal decapping die?
I'm trying to streamline my brass prep without bypassing any steps. Normally, my first step would be to dump the fired brass in the tumbler for a couple hours straight from the range, then decap and size. Why? To keep the nasties (from firing/range) out of my dies. But since the UDD does not size, only de-prime, I don't care if the brass is dirty. It won't scratch the die as it (the die) does not size. So...from the range, to the UDD, then a quick run through the case prep center (CPC) primer pocket brush. How does that work, you ask? L@J
Just friggin' dandy, Jack!
Well, I dunno if it's a hundred bucks worth of 'dandy' to you, but it went super-fast and didn't leave me with carpal tunnel nor blackened fingers. Zip, zap, and 50 .380ACP cases ready for the tumbler with little effort and a bunch of time saved. Can't wait for the other accessories to come in next week.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 04:23:02 PM by Captainkirk »

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2017, 10:14:32 AM »
Hi Kirk, what you really need are a few conversion cylinders so you can really use all that fancy reloading equipment with your BP revolvers.

IMO once you use a conversion cylinder you will never look back.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2017, 08:35:01 PM »
Now that all my accoutrements are here I can finally give this thing a review.
Fluff it may be, but it sure makes things easier on the hands/fingers/wrists. Here is a pic of all the stuff in place:

Starting from the 12 o'clock position and moving clockwise:

1) Flash hole deburring tool with .44RM centering pilot-not sure how well this works, if at all. I was highly disappointed with the cutter as it had no pilot to go through the flash hole itself. Any drill     bit could have done the same. In fact, one guy in a MidwayUSA review had suggested using a pin vise and drill bit. He could be right. All you are doing with this thing is putting a bevel on the flash hole inside the case...

2) Large primer pocket brush with my home-made bottle cap crap catcher! (LOL) (7+" The first time I used the primer pocket brush, it worked grand. Then I noticed a nice big pile of burned powder residue all around the stem where it threads down into the case and thought..."Hmmm...sealed unit...crap goes down around the shaft...mucks up things inside sealed unit...what I need is a crap catcher." It was then I spied the beer bottle cap that had fortuitously missed the trash can, and... ;)  Drilled a hole to allow the threaded end to go thru the bottle cap and...presto! One crap catcher! L@J (patent pending)

3) Inside deburring tool. 'Nuff said.

4) Outside deburring tool. 'Nuff said.

5) Primer pocket uniformer. Jury is still out until after I've seated a bunch of primers. You can see the brass shavings on it...I hope it doesn't work so well that I get loose primers?

6) Finally...second floor, to the right (standing for photo op). My new .44 cal case brush. This station (and the one on the left also) does not rotate, but that's OK. A quick half-twist and the case ID is pretty clean after being in the tumbler.

I think I will treat myself to a six pack of bottles so I can 'cap' the rest of the stations as well. Just occurred to me that brass filings can't be too good for the guts of this thing either. BTW, a quick pass with the shop vac nozzle cleans those caps out pronto!
Oh, and that white circle to the upper left? A little plastic covered cup with mica case lube.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 12:54:34 PM by Captainkirk »