photo Dragoon-Navyset_zps3txqpebh.jpg

Author Topic: And Yet, Another One  (Read 249 times)

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
And Yet, Another One
« on: May 14, 2017, 10:45:35 AM »
Seems that the Old Man feels that I do not have enough blades. I took possession of this one last eve and snapped some pics this morning to show you.

He had admired my recent House knife and commented that he felt like making a knife hafted with deer antler with most of the natural texture remaining. He dug through my pile of antlers, found one suitable to his tastes, and the rest is history.

I have since determined that this is perhaps my most favorite knife that he had ever made. I really like every aspect of the entire piece.

He cut the eye guard off and blended the conture with the rest of the antler.

Now mind you, he did not make the blade. It is a total reshape from a Damascus blank. He removed a lot of metal by hand to come up with this profile. I could hear him filing on it at times over the course of two days.

The blade length is 7 1/2 inches and the handle with bolster length is 5 inches long.

The bolster is two piece construction. He cut and formed it out of flat sheet copper. I do not know how he got the shank portion so round, as I did not watch him make it. You can see the seam along the shank in this pic. Both the seam and the cap are held together with solder. The cap was purposely made slightly proud.

The antler was from the left side of the deer, and as a result, the protuding edges offset a full grip and dug into his palm when he held it, so he filed the crown back into more of a knob. I took a real liking to how it turned out and have seen where other knife makers do the same thing with the crown.

Online mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: And Yet, Another One
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 12:39:41 PM »
I can see where this would be your favorite knife....very nice looking rifleman/longhunter's knife!

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 01:56:51 PM »
Very impressive Scooby.   You're building up quite a collection of interesting blades.

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 06:12:47 PM »
This one is now woods ready. Made up a simple sheath for it today. Since my last pics, I have also darkened the antler handle some and drilled through both the bolster and tang and added two copper rivets which are peened on either side.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 02:18:50 PM »
Hi Scooby, is it sharp?

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2017, 06:31:49 PM »
It is indeed sharp mad dog ;)