photo Dragoon-Navyset_zps3txqpebh.jpg

Author Topic: Remington NO 4  (Read 762 times)

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Remington NO 4
« on: June 05, 2016, 07:16:23 PM »
I have featured this rifle before. Here goes the second round. By far, as sweet as as you can get when it comes to a light powered single shot rifle. The ammo is now somewhat hard to come by due to being obsolite. Thanks to Bishop creek, I can now shoot this one a bit more frequent than I used to. He set me up with a few rounds of Navy Arms ammo that are in perfect shape. You are a good man Mister.

Went over the slope this afternoon and fired off ten rounds, They shoot plenty good out of the tired old bore of the Remington. Felt mighty blessed to not feel so consevative with the rounds that I have on hand thanks to Bishop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She will shoot a fair goup at 35 yards from the kneeling position and a tight one at 25 yards. Would be no problem taking small game with it.

If you have not done so, I give you my word that it is quite a pleasure to shoot one of these old rifles. You can simply feel the nostalgia and history with each round that passes through the bore.

Of interesting note, I found this old girl to foul out in short order due to the rough bore with a smokeless load, just as it would with black bowder, as it does in some of my other original guns that have rough bores. Regardless, it shoots plently good for the first few rounds and fully sufficient for hunting application. As far as occsaional plinking, it takes but a few moments to swab the bore out after 5 rounds and keep up on accuracy.

A neat old rifle it is. I plan to take some kind of critter with it befor I give up the ghost.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 08:39:35 PM by scooby »

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
Re: Remington NO 4
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 07:33:06 PM »
Now that is super cool.  (7&

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2016, 07:49:30 PM »
Thanks Hawg. It felt "super cool" to be out shooting today. Things like this make me glad to be breathing air and standing upright.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 07:56:13 PM »
I agree with Hawg,  that is a very cool old rifle.    I know of a rolling block rifle in 43 Spanish I may be able to get a good deal on.   I'm hesitating due to the time I would have to invest in getting set up to make cartridges to shoot in it.    Seeing this one again from Scooby may prompt me to look into it again.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2016, 07:57:00 PM »
Wow...what a sexy little rifle! Love the looks and lines.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2016, 08:31:25 PM »
You are welcome scooby. Enjoy shooting them. I originally bought those two boxes of .32 Navy Arms rim fire cartridges almost 20 years ago to shoot in an 1867 S&W .32 rim fire revolver, but later decided that it wouldn't be such a good idea to fire smokeless rounds in a pistol that old. I sold the revolver over 10 years ago and have had those rounds in my garage since then and thought that scooby could best put them to use with his Remington.

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2016, 08:34:11 PM »
I agree with Hawg,  that is a very cool old rifle.    I know of a rolling block rifle in 43 Spanish I may be able to get a good deal on.   I'm hesitating due to the time I would have to invest in getting set up to make cartridges to shoot in it.    Seeing this one again from Scooby may prompt me to look into it again.
[/quote

I know a feller or two that will give full assist in getting it going. One of them just got a Danish Rolling block shooting like a fire cat. All that matters is that it has a decent bore. And I am not talking a premium bore. Decent bores will still shoot good. Guys like me do not get to touch the premium original rifles with prime bores. The most recent prime bored 1873 that I had dealings with sold for $5000.00. I got out bid so quick it made my head spin. Most likely, the new oner will never shoot it. It fell into the collector category. I collect too, but not to brag and show them off to my friends. I would have shot the hell out of it and packed it into the woods and shot a whitetailed buck with it.

Grab it up Mike. Life is short, and getting shorter at our age. Go out on the edge and fuel your passion. As long as the bills are paid and the needs of the family are met, spend a little extra to pay back all the effort you have put forth in making this world of ours go round. Hard work and discipline deserves rewards of some kind.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 12:08:51 AM by scooby »

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2016, 08:37:01 PM »
You are welcome scooby. Enjoy shooting them. I originally bought those two boxes of .32 Navy Arms rim fire cartridges almost 20 years ago to shoot in an 1867 S&W .32 rim fire revolver, but later decided that it wouldn't be such a good idea to fire smokeless rounds in a pistol that old. I sold the revolver over 10 years ago and have had those rounds in my garage since then and thought that scooby could best put them to use with his Remington.

Fully indebted my good man. They will indeed be put to good use. Your gesture has not been taken lightly and carma will bestow upon you in one form or another.

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2016, 12:31:33 PM »
That ol' RB looks pretty good! Glad you are able to shoot it a bit. I had a #4 in 22 caliber that I sold a few months ago. It was in pretty bad shape. In retrospect, I guess maybe I should have kept it and re-lined the barrel. But it is gone now.