photo Dragoon-Navyset_zps3txqpebh.jpg

Author Topic: Finally  (Read 912 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Finally
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2016, 11:33:20 AM »
Hi Kirk, if I use any BP as the main charge booster I will just use BP for the whole charge. Larry Pletcher had a series of flintlock tests, I studied his tests and can repeat the details in my sleep. I tried different banking, but saw little difference. There are many aspects of the shooting sports that eluded me. Getting a better locktime for my stonelock rifles is on my bucket list. I tend to be a perfectionist with my interests and working on solving this slow locktime issue keeps me humble and interested. I appreciate any recommendations and help given. Thank you for the suggestions.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Dellbert

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2016, 12:00:07 AM »
Hay there Richard. I had a problem with one of my cap lock Hawken rifles using Prodex. Over and over no "boom" I opened a bottle of Goex an poured 80 grs' down the barrel hammer hits the cap and rifle go's "boom" every time. If your going to get that gun to fire like you want it to try the real black powder and tell us what happens. I love the flint locks. (7&

Offline rdstrain49

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2016, 08:16:59 AM »
Richard;

Don't get your hopes up on having instant ignition with your Pedersoli.  Mine is also what I would call slow.  It does not, however, effect my accuracy with the rifle.  It shoots just a well and any rifle I have.  It's really not complicated.  Hold, squeeze, follow through, hit the center of the target.  Not rocket science.  It should be noted that proper form is much more important with slow ignition than with fast, but that does not mean it can't be done. 

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2016, 08:44:47 AM »
Hi rd, as an experienced rifle shooter I don't simply slowly squeeze the trigger and let the rifle discharge surprise me. The discharge surprise is what I teach to new shooters. As an experienced rifle shooter I try to deliberately pull the trigger as the sights are in perfect alignment with the target. That skill comes with practice. That works well for modern and percussion rifles where there is almost zero locktime. The delay with flintlock is another story and I may just need to accept trying to keep the rifle on target as best I can as I pull the flintlock trigger and do as you suggest.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2016, 11:37:41 AM »
RD, guess you were on another forum; but I do remember you. Richard, anything else different between the pistol and rifles.....drilled touch hole, touch hole liner, patent breech...?

Offline Cross Plains Drifter

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2017, 05:18:25 PM »
I get basically instant lock time from my Pedersoli Kentucky .50 using real BP main charge.......& don't "ram" the ball/Minnie any harder than absolutely necessary to seat it......tightly packed powder explodes more slowly than a charge that has even minimal "breathing" room between the grains.

Offline rdstrain49

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2017, 03:04:10 PM »
Every Pedersoli flint long gun I've shot or watched shoot has a rather long dwell time.  Still, it's not rocket science, hold squeeze and follow through,  if you do it right the dwell time doesn't make much if any difference.

Offline Cross Plains Drifter

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2017, 06:21:03 PM »
all it took with mine was increasing the vent diameter, and chamfering the hole a bit.........by the time I hear "click", the main charge is sending the ball downrange.......I must get my wife or grandson to film this so I can post it, this rifle has the fastest ignition sequence ive ever seen.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2017, 08:40:19 PM »
CPD, I would like to see that. Please do it if you can.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"