Author Topic: .31 Paper Cartridges For Modle 1849  (Read 576 times)

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
.31 Paper Cartridges For Modle 1849
« on: January 28, 2017, 10:39:46 PM »
Made 15 of these tiny cartridges up this evening. Will shoot them tomorrow for entertainment out of the little Uberti.

I often use this Italian repro mould to cast both balls and conicals for my pocket modles. I have a couple of single cavity round ball moulds that I also use at times. The conicals cast from this mould weigh 61 grains.

You can see two of the five conicals that are loaded in the cylinder.

Here is a look at a couple of the little cartridges laying with their bigger counter part, the .36 calibre.

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
Re: .31 Paper Cartridges For Modle 1849
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 11:03:40 PM »
I'm impressed. Nice job scooby! I tried to make paper cartridges for one of my .36s years ago and they came out terrible looking. Yours look great. Have fun shooting them!

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 03:05:40 PM »
Many thanks Bishop. Appreciate the compliment.

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 03:21:58 PM »
Well, the little paper cartridges worked slicker than pig snot! Fun to goof around with too. As a side note, I did grease over top of the conicals with my home made bullet lube after loading the cartridges. I shot all 15 rounds, (10 at paper from 12 yards and 5 at a gong from 20 yards.)

I was once chastized on another forum several years back for casting and shooting balls and conicals from these repro brass moulds because, they "did not cast decent bullets for shooting." Some men should just stick to the modern stuff. I get these revolvers to work very well for the intended purpose with simple methods. You mess with them often and long enough, and they sort of become second nature.

There is 10 rounds in that 12 yard group. More than good enough for close range authority. I picked up the three flattened pieces of lead from the ground that are resting just above the orange dot. They were right in front of the gong that I shot from 20 yards.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 05:59:21 PM »
Looks like it would do the trick at defense range...despite the bad rap Johnnie gave them...and I love the little conicals! Does Lee or anyone make a modern mould for those to use in my Baby Dragoon?
With that and the Root, Scooby is front runner in the race for King of Kool!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 06:54:01 PM »
The 31 hits harder than most give credit. Is does not help when it is compared to a Navy. It was and is a pocket revover of diminutive size. Same thing as hacking on a 25 or 380 auto because is does not have the punch of a 9mm auto. It is what is is.

Don't know about the Lee conical mould for the 31. I have never messed with that particular bullet, so I have not educated myself on the moulds they make.

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2017, 04:38:19 AM »
Looks great Scooby thanks for posting it.  I generally shoot 10 grain charges with RB with good results.  What do you like with the conicals, 12-15?

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 06:35:42 AM »
I went by volume capacity with these cartridges whip and used no measure, but I figure it was in the 11/12 grain range.

With round balls I often shoot 14 grains, but like you, I use around 10 grains too.

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2017, 09:59:09 AM »
Scooby, I am impressed with your ability to make those tiny paper cartridges! At my age and with fingers that no longer work like I want them to, I think I would have to practice a lot before getting cartridges as nice looking as yours.