photo Dragoon-Navyset_zps3txqpebh.jpg

Author Topic: EMF Paterson on sale  (Read 539 times)

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
Re: EMF Paterson on sale
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2017, 04:04:25 PM »
Looks great Richard,  glad to hear everything is order except the arbor length.  Hope the snow melts so you can get out and shoot it soon.

Offline Rcampb6131

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2017, 01:13:39 PM »
For comparison, here is mine - a Uberti dated 1989.

Offline sourdough

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2017, 02:02:53 PM »
The old Paterson pics would have been on the old account and surely  long gone now.

I saved these photos some years ago but only labeled them Paterson.  Looks like Scooby work to me, that or some other skilled photographer member.

Indeed, those are pics that I took. Glad you saved them.

I have no knowledge of Paterson Colts.

Could one of you folks explain what the extra piece of hardware is all about? I have seen that in several photos you all have posted but I have no clue.

Since the Paterson has no load lever, I am just guessing that it has to do with loading the cylinder, but I am probably very off base.

I am into 1851 Navy replicas and cousins and Dragoons.

Thanks in advance for entertaining a newbie.   ^j)

Sincerely,

Jim

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2017, 02:38:02 PM »
Here you go Jim,   it's called a loading tool.   One end has a screw driver head,  the other end has a ball that you can unscrew to reveal a hidden nipple pick.   The flat end is inserted into the arbor slot to act as a fulcrum for pressing the ball into the chamber.   

Here's a photo showing how it's used....

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2017, 03:06:57 PM »
Hi Jim, what Mike said with the addition that under the ball there is a nipple wrench. The original Patersons and the Uberti replica have nipples that require a 4-edged nipple wrench. The nipple wrench under the ball for the Pietta replica has the typical 2-edged wrench, same nipples as on other Piettas. Owners of the Uberti never want to lose that tool if they ever want to remove the nipples of their Paterson.

Mike, nice job showing the Paterson loading tool!!

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2017, 03:18:21 PM »
You're right Richard,  forgot the nipple wrench is under there too.  I didn't realize the Pietta nipples were the modern type instead of the cross head type.

Online scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2017, 04:10:12 PM »
If one ever did loose the Uberti tool, a new nipple wrench would be easy to make.

Offline sourdough

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2017, 12:46:35 PM »
You guys are great! I had no idea that such a tool existed.

I learn something new every day, and that is saying something for someone with Old-timer's disease.  &\?

Jim

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2017, 10:28:28 AM »
Hi, the Pietta Paterson is so nice that I am asking Leathersmith Mike to make a natural leather holster for it. I have been handling the Pietta Paterson so much that my wife asked me if I would like to take it to bed with us. That was the signal for me to put the Patterson down and talk with her. Talking with my wife is a ticket for my next revolver.  ;)

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2017, 12:07:37 PM »
Hi, the temp outside was 50F so I went out and shot my new Pietta Paterson. Well, she ain't a virgin anymore, and she ain't an 1851 right out of the box. I shot 30rds two hands from 25yds at my steel targets. The Paterson shoots ~8" high. and grouped ~4". Part of my shooting accuracy problem is the heavy trigger pull, it is 8+lbs. Another problem I ran into was that the cylinder would bind against the barrel right after the first shot, the remaining four shots required me to help turn the cylinder as I cocked. A gap of 0.003" is too tight with the barrel not having a forcing cone. On removal of the barrel a uniform lead splash can be seen on the rear end of the barrel. Even after one cylinder, removal of the barrel from the arbor was difficult because fouling is blown up inside the barrel arbor hole. I needed to lube that part with spit to continue shooting.

This is a photo of my loading area:

This is a photo of my first five shots, I was aiming at the bottom of the steel gong. Two to the left the remaining three centered:

This a scooby like photo after finishing the shoot:

The heavy hammer pull may be contributing to the very heavy trigger pull. However, I did see a video where the hammer would blow back and am now concerned that lightening the hammer spring would enance hammer blow-back. That video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAGH2xErhLE&t=457s

I already broke off the brass arbor button that was JB Weld to the arbor since it is known to be too short. Whether adding a arbor extension screw or adding a forcing cone worthwhile is still being considered. I'm certain that with enough work, a good trigger pull could be achieved and that the revolver could be sighted in to have poi=poa.

In any event, shooting the Paterson was fun and as Mike and scooby said "it is what it is".

Worst case this Pietta Patterson stays stock and added to my living room display.

I caution anyone considering the Patterson for a shooting BP revolver to think hard about that decision, very hard.

Edit: BTW, my first two shots were to the left until I settled down. I think that the Texas 9" barrel Paterson with with the long sight radius has the potential (getting the trigger pull reasonable) for being an extremely accurate BP revolver.

Regards,
Richard 
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 04:42:47 AM by ssb73q »

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2017, 02:58:56 PM »
Welcome to the realm of Paterson shooters Richard.   I'm sure you can work out the issues you are having and continue to enjoy shooting your new revolver.   My Paterson has a .005 cylinder gap and does begin to bind up on the 3rd cylinder full.    My revolver does not have a forcing cone either,  just a small chamfer that would not be considered a forcing cone at all.   I have never noticed any lead splash around the back end of the barrel.

Online scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2017, 06:30:01 PM »
Alright, you got out and shot it! Heck, it is grouping good. Looks like you had a nice day for shooting.

I went on a very long hike in the wood today and packed mine and did some shooting too. I really enjoy the Paterson.

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2017, 09:15:51 PM »
Congrats on the new Paterson. Thanks for sharing pics and shooting report. They sure are neat revolvers.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2017, 09:11:12 AM »
Hi while I was a bit concerned on the stiffness of the Pietta Paterson action, after cleaning the revolver and putting fresh Ballistol in the revolver, the action is now a lot smoother. The more I cycle the action, the smoother the action becomes. The hammer and trigger pull is still heavy, but becoming more manageable with experience. Removal of the nipples for cleaning was a surprise, the nipples were in only finger tight. Pietta never let Brunhilde with her 100lb torque wrench near this Paterson during manufacture.

I would still like to lighten up the hammer spring, but concerned that hammer blow-back may occur. Maybe adding SliXshot nipples would minimize hammer blow back where I could lighten the hammer spring. I will wait for the replacement hammer springs come in to modify than irreversibly ruin the original hammer spring. The Pietta Paterson nipples seem to be the standard Pietta nipples used in the Pietta 1851/1860.

This adventure continues.

Regards,
Richard