photo Dragoon-Navyset_zps3txqpebh.jpg

Author Topic: Paterson issues  (Read 293 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Paterson issues
« on: February 14, 2017, 04:43:53 AM »
Hi, I need some help with my new Pietta Paterson. I have a few questions:

1. My Paterson barrel doesn't have a forcing cone in the rear of the barrel. Is that consistent with your Paterson?

2. My Paterson barrel is very difficult to remove from the frame, it doesn't have a loading lever to help barrel removal. Will that condition get better with use?

3. I have found exploded views of the Paterson, but can't locate any detailed disassembly instructions. Do you know of a reference on disassembly and reassembly of the Paterson?

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Paterson issues
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 06:02:43 AM »
Hi, I found an answer to my question 3, "Do you know of a reference on disassembly and reassembly of the Paterson?":

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0873497678/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 06:34:10 AM »
Both my Uberti's are coned.

To get the barrel free from the frame, use one half of a wooden clothes pin or similar shaped piece of wood. Whittle or belt sand a taper to it so that one end will fit between the cylinder face and barrel lug. You can then tap on the other end to push the barrel  loose from the pins.

Hope this helps some.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 06:53:05 AM »
Hi scooby, that information helps me a lot. Because of weather it will be a little while before I can shoot the Pietta Paterson so I will wait until the last minute before machining a forcing cone on the barrel rear end. That will give me more time to make sure I want to really do so. I would think that a revolver without a forcing cone is a lead jam waiting to happen. Accuracy can't be good shaving off an edge of a ball or conical. All subsequent revolvers after the Paterson have forcing cones to cure lots of potential alignment issues.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 08:21:42 AM »
Hi, a brass button has been machined and is now being attached to the Pietta Paterson arbor end with JB Weld. Two replacement hammer springs have been ordered from VTI. One of the replacement hammer springs will be ground down to lighten the hammer pull to a reasonable level. The current Pietta Paterson hammer spring is much too strong where it takes two strong men and a boy to cock.  ;)

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 05:03:05 AM »
Hi, the brass button has been sized to produce a barrel/cylinder gap of 0.003" with the wedge hammered in hard.

I learned from VTI that the mainsprings I ordered for the Pietta Paterson aren't in stock and set on backordered. I will check with Taylor to see if they have that spring in stock. I would hate to grind down my original mainspring, screw it up, and then not having a replacement.

I'm still thinking on if I should put an 11 degree forcing cone on the Pietta Paterson. I can think of a lot of reasons to add a forcing cone and only one why I should leave the Pietta Paterson flat barrel rear end alone. Adding a forcing cone would irreversibly modify the Paterson. Any input on this would be appreciated.

Regards,
Richard
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 05:44:06 AM by ssb73q »

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 12:10:27 PM »
If modifying the factory original is a concern, shoot it first and see how it performs. Perhaps it will shoot just fine as is.

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 12:23:01 PM »
An 11 deg. forcing cone would be good if you're shooting conicals. A ball shooter needs nothing more than what you get from the factory. A true f.c. would loose contact with a ball.
  (Congratulations on the .003" clearance and really seating the wedge!!)

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 01:23:56 PM »
Hi, I found an answer to my question 3, "Do you know of a reference on disassembly and reassembly of the Paterson?":

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0873497678/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Regards,
Richard

Hi, I just received the book ordered, Antique Firearms - Assembly/Disassembly by David R. Chicoine. It is a treasure trove of information on old firearms, 8x11x1.5". There are seven pages on the Paterson with excellent photographs on the disassembly of a Pietta Paterson. However, parts nomenclature is Uberti.

This book is a must if you intend on working on antique firearms. Highly recommended.

BTW, Taylor also doesn't have the Pietta Paterson hammer mainspring in stock.

Regards,
Richard
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 01:25:34 PM by ssb73q »

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2017, 01:28:17 PM »
An 11 deg. forcing cone would be good if you're shooting conicals. A ball shooter needs nothing more than what you get from the factory. A true f.c. would loose contact with a ball.
  (Congratulations on the .003" clearance and really seating the wedge!!)

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

Hi Mike, thanks for the reply. Since I will mostly use my Paterson with ball, are you suggesting that the barrel having no forcing cone at all is OK?

Regards,
Richard

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2017, 03:50:24 PM »
Yessir!!

Just cleaning up the "entrance"  of the barrel (320 grit s.p. or better with thumb) would be best for ball.
Will be interesting to hear how it shoots!!
 I have one coming from a customer.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 03:52:45 PM by 45 Dragoon »

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2017, 07:49:13 PM »
Hi Mike, thank you for the information. It's nice to know that I won't have to permanently modify the Paterson. Of all the revolvers I now own, the Pietta Paterson is the revolver that most needs some good gunsmithing. The stiff rough action cries out for some parts smoothing and polishing.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2017, 12:10:27 PM »
Hi Mike, I would be very interested on what you did to the client's Paterson to get it to an optimized shooting BP revolver.

Regards,
Richard

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2017, 01:07:51 PM »
Will do Richard, I just got it today.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com