Author Topic: Best Length  (Read 2127 times)

Offline shooter13

• View Profile
Best Length
« on: July 04, 2015, 06:14:48 PM »
I'm almost ready to commit to one of these honeys and I think of the three barrel lengths offered I think I've finally settled on 5 1/2".  I'd love to hear pros and cons and recommendations for what YOU think the best barrel length is for one of these little pistols based on experience and such.

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
Re: Best Length
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 07:10:02 PM »
Are you referring to an 1860 Army or what?  If so, and you donít have an eight inch yet then you had better get one.   Start with an eight inch and go from there to the variations.  Same deal on Remington too.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 08:22:52 PM »
I think we're talking 1862 Police models here.   I have a 61/2 model that I bought recently.   I can't tell you much since I haven't fired it yet.  I like the look of the 61/2 inch barrel and it feels very good.   I'll let you know how it shoots as soon as I get the opportunity.

Offline shooter13

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 08:26:24 PM »
Uh, no, this is the 1862 Police forum, so in keeping with the subject matter I'm referring to an 1862 Police (replica), more than likely a Uberti.

Just for the record, G Dog, I've got two Uberti replica 1860 Army revolvers, both with standard 8 inch barrel, one with fluted cylinder.  The one with the fluted cylinder just arrived at Mike Goon's for his special goonification treatment.

Offline Fingers McGee

• Global Moderator
  • Show Me Shootout 2014 - TTN Hammer gun & BP
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2015, 08:27:47 PM »
I prefer the 5 1/2 inch barreled models myself.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline shooter13

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2015, 08:29:35 PM »
Mike, while I was replying to G Dog you snuck in and beat me to the punch! Yes, please do let me know how that 6 1/2" shoots.  Many Thanks

Offline shooter13

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2015, 08:30:54 PM »
And then Fingers did the same thing with my next post!  I'm going to bed where an old man belongs!

Offline shooter13

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2015, 10:17:19 PM »
Fingers,I favor the 5 1/2" purely on aesthetic appeal, have you any experience with carrying and/or shooting the 5 1/2" barreled pistol? A couple years ago I saw a picture of a guy's brace of 5 1/2" Police pistols he'd just gotten from Cimarron with their Original finish.  Before that day I always thought that to pay extra for a pistol without any bluing or ccing was madness, but these little revolvers looked spectacular.  I can't exactly say why, but they were real charmers.

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2015, 10:53:08 PM »
It would be helpful to all if I keep straight which topic this thread is in.  Sorry and thanks for your patience.

As to í62 Colts the 5.5 is a thing of lasting beauty.  Seems it would be hard to ever get tired of that one.

Offline StrawHat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2015, 04:13:20 AM »
First, if you want a new Pocket Model, you have no choice but to get an Uberti.  If you are content with an older version, I believe ASM made a few of the Pocket Police revolvers.

I have a few of the Pocket Models, mostly the Pocket Police.  I like the handling and balance of the 5 1/2" barrel.  The 6 1/2" is good also, a bit heavy at the muzzle.  I have tried to like the 4 1/2" but as you can tell from the photo, they did not work out for me. 

The forum will not allow me to add my photo, "File too big" and "Paint" will not let me size it smaller!  So, here is a different photo with a few less revolvers.

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2015, 04:43:51 AM »
I'm almost ready to commit to one of these honeys and I think of the three barrel lengths offered I think I've finally settled on 5 1/2".  I'd love to hear pros and cons and recommendations for what YOU think the best barrel length is for one of these little pistols based on experience and such.

Hi shooter, I have a Uberti 1862 Colt Navy with 6.5" barrel. While a .36 caliber it is built on the 1848 pocket frame. The down side of the Uberti 1862 is the high cost of extra cylinders and there isn't a conversion cylinder available. The Uberti is a terrible cap sucker. Pietta has a Colt style revolver they call the 1862 Police, but it is built on the 1851 frame and has a 5.5" barrel. Since it uses the 1851 cylinders, extra cylinders are low cost and the 1851 conversion cylinder also works in that model. Pietta should have called their 1862 an 1861 Colt. The Pietta is lower cost than the Uberti. Both these revolvers are sweet shooters. Notice the size difference, the Pietta on top:

Regards,
Richard
Thereís nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Fingers McGee

• Global Moderator
  • Show Me Shootout 2014 - TTN Hammer gun & BP
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2015, 09:18:32 AM »
Fingers,I favor the 5 1/2" purely on aesthetic appeal, have you any experience with carrying and/or shooting the 5 1/2" barreled pistol? A couple years ago I saw a picture of a guy's brace of 5 1/2" Police pistols he'd just gotten from Cimarron with their Original finish.  Before that day I always thought that to pay extra for a pistol without any bluing or ccing was madness, but these little revolvers looked spectacular.  I can't exactly say why, but they were real charmers.

Wish I could say I've carried and shot a brace of them.  My favoring the 5 1/2 is purely aesthetic at this point same as you.  I've had some pocket models in the past; but traded them off for other things and my feeble brain can't recall how they shot.

But......   I've got a pair of SS Uberti Pocket pistols (one Navy, and one Police) with 5 1/2 inch barrels.  And....... I've got a pair of holsters being made so I can carry them and shoot them in CAS competition.  Hopefully the holsters will get here before the end of July so I can try them out.

I'll be sure to post results pictures of the holsters when they show up, and results of the pistols being used.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline StrawHat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2015, 11:36:16 AM »
I have shot mine a bunch.  I have to say they are the only 36 caliber revolvers I own that actually recoil.  Not a lot but at least you know you have pulled the trigger.  Accuracy is about what it is for me with the 61s and 60s, good enough to reach out quite a ways.

As for the care and management.  Same as for other Colt style C&B revolvers.  Fit the nipples to the caps and if you need to, install a cap rake.  Some of the Pocket Models have a good grooved channel for spent caps to fall out as the cylinder revolves.  Some don't.  If you want one, carve it in.

All of mine are Ubertis and built between 1973 and 2007.  The earlier ones have a much stiffer mainspring and do not allow the caps to come off the cones.  The later ones are built with weaker mainsprings and the caps do indeed come off unless they are properly fitted to the cone or the cap rake is installed.

As I have posted previously and will do again.  For the price, the Italian replicas are all kit guns.  Some need more work than others but they all need some work.

I do not have leather for them but it is available.  Maybe, if I get back into competition, I would consider leather.

It was mentioned that there are no conversion cylinders for the Ubertis.  That is correct.  The geometry of the rear of the cylinder is wrong for the conversion to cartridges.   At least with the current cartridges available to use.  But this is not a real problem.  If you want a C&B revolver, buy one.  If you want a cartridge revolver, buy that.  I enjoy the fun of the C&B.  I also have a couple of Richards conversions for when I want something other than an 1873 revolver.

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com