Author Topic: Attn. Eric N.  (Read 1877 times)

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Attn. Eric N.
« on: September 11, 2015, 12:54:05 PM »
You requested a pic of the knife featured in my latest post in the Conversion topic. I took two pics of the knife to share with you and posted them here, rather than include them with the original topic. I have a bunch of buddies in the Northwest that practice rudamentary blacksmithing skills and therefore I occasionaly obtain new pounded knives to meet my desires and tastes.

This one is a basic blade with a one piece scale built by one of my Montana buddies. No frills or fancy art work added. It is made from an old farrier's rasp. These old rasps, along with the old files, make for good knifes. They have just the right carbon content to them to make me happy. These types of knives are all that I use on the game animals that I harvest. I made the sheath from some scrap buffalo hide that I had on hand.

Thanks for the inquiry. I like to share the works of some of my artisan friends. They are a unique and dying breed. They make some neat stuff in their back yards and small sheds. I am honored to be included in their circle.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 05:48:02 AM by scooby »

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Attn. Eric N.
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 06:14:35 PM »
That looks great! I like it.  L@.

Offline Eric N.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 07:24:10 PM »
Very nice. I don't have any knives made from files. Does your buddy make many knives? And what design is that blade called?  I will take some pics of that 1833 Dragoon Sabre Sunday.   Thanks!!
The easy we make difficult,the difficult we make imposable.  Some days its so true.

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 08:03:48 PM »
The buddy that made this knife does not make many. Most of his time is spent making flintlock gunnes and rifle gunnes.

As far as I know, no name can be given to this design.

One buddy that did make a whole lot of knives is getting ready to give up the ghost. All of his smithing works are now here on the homestead. He hopes to pass on his skills to me before he passes. If fate allows, I will carry on his tradition.

Looking forward to your pics of the sabre.

Offline Eric N.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 08:22:06 PM »
This is an 1833 Dragoon Sabre replica. Made in India by Windless. It is really a quality made sword. I paid $154.00 delivered for it . It came with a nice metal scabbard with hangers. You wont find one closer to the real thing,short of buying the real deal. But you can find a real nice one for under $1000 on Ebay.  The next Sabre made for the Military was the 1840 Heavy Calvary Sabre,better known as "The Old Wrist breaker" because it was so heavy. I have one of those too.   
The easy we make difficult,the difficult we make imposable.  Some days its so true.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 02:07:18 AM »
Eric N., how long is the blade on your sword?

Offline Eric N.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2015, 06:18:29 AM »
 34 Inches. And a lovely 34 Inches it is. The first 4 Inches on top of the blade can be sharpened. It is tapered like the rest of the blade. From what I have read,only the first 12 Inches were sharpened. The rest of the blade was left as is,for parrying. The other school of thought was not to sharpen the blade at all. Just to break bones. This sabre makes a real nice wall hanger,and conversation piece.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2015, 04:30:19 PM »
Looks like a really nice replica.  I'll bet you plan to keep the brass all polished and shiny too.

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2015, 07:26:42 PM »
Yes sir Eric, that is a dandy for sure. I am glad that you posted a pic.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2015, 07:43:16 PM »
Sweet blade, Rick!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline old fogey

• Ass-hat Extrodinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2016, 07:59:36 PM »
Is this where you ordered your's from (Atlanta Cutlery Co.)?

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2016, 09:38:02 PM »
I used to have several CW swords and sabers and all of them were well under 1000.

Offline Eric N.

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2016, 03:54:33 AM »
Old fogey,thats not where I got mine. But that is the exact sword as mine,but mine is not the Texas version. They are made by Windlass in India. I got mine from    www.kultofathena.com