photo Dragoon-Navyset_zps3txqpebh.jpg

Author Topic: Uberti Civilian Version  (Read 1155 times)

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Uberti Civilian Version
« on: September 11, 2015, 04:24:30 PM »
You don't see many of these reproductions, be they Uberti or Pietta. I do not know why. I seldom see a civilian version for sale on Gunbroker. The last one I saw for sale was a Uberti with a brass back strap. The 4 screw military versions are as common as ticks on a hound though.

In my most recent book related to the history of Colt, there are only 4 of the original civilian modles in percussion mode featured. More cartridge conversion civilian versions are shown in the book than percussion. This makes me very curious!!!!!

I believe that there is some connection with the Cival War as for the proprtion differences, but have done no research to confirm my theory.

Also worth noting is that you will find many original 3 screw version frames that also have the recoil sheild cut fot the shoulder stock. With all that has been said, it is also understandable that Colt had a surplus of parts due to the war and used them accordingly.

However, something draws my attention to the limited number of original 3 screw civilian modle frames that have no cut out on the recoil shield. I have just not seen too many of them featured in the history books. I have a new venture to endure regarding the matter.

Here is my clone civilian modle. I have never really shown it until now for some unknown reason. I only show it now because I shot it on this day. It is was made in 2010 and purchased during that same year. This one is also charcoal blued. It is a fine speciman, very well built and my most coveted of the 1860 versions that I own. It is better built than my 2ND Gen 1860. I do not shoot it all that often, but cannot really explain why. It is not like I am trying to keep it prestine, for I am not into such matters. But there is a deep down connection as to the scarcity of available versions on the market.

I love the history of these revolvers, in both original and reproduction form. Even more so, I love to shoot them as it was done back then without modern mindset and intent to improve on the design. Any one that claims that these Colt reproductions wont shoot out of the box is either a poor shot or a well above average super,super good shot. As for me, I am around average and I find that they group better than they need to for the intended purpose in which they were originally built. And I had absolutely no cap malfunctions in 30 rounds out of this shooter on this day.

I tell you men what, I have some good luck with these Italian Colt shooters. I find them to be very accurate and dependable. I can really make them work well for me. L@.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
Re: Uberti Civilian Version
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 05:44:47 PM »
Great photos as usual Scooby.   You get along with the reproduction revolvers so well because you are a realist.   These guns are intended to reproduce 1800's technology and you understand and embrace them as such rather than expecting them to be new Ruger Vaqueros with transfer bar safeties and trigger jobs.

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 08:21:53 PM »
Thanks Mike. I consider your input to be of the highest opinion. Your demeanor and words set the standard for this forum.

I never thought much on the term "realist," but after doing so now, I like it and can relate with the meaning.

Each one of us must determine the level of effort that we will apply to this hobby. If such chosen level meets expectations, then we remain content. I suspect that my level is atypical for the most part, based on my readings of the many gun related forums.
But, I have got to be me and I remain content in my endeavors!!!!!

I continue to be influenced by Locke's (1632 -1704) words,,,,,"As nothing teaches, so nothing delights more than history."

Offline Fingers McGee

• Global Moderator
  • Show Me Shootout 2014 - TTN Hammer gun & BP
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 08:32:19 PM »
Yet another good looking pistol photographed to bring out it's best Scooby.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2015, 06:47:57 AM »
I like it!  L@.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 09:07:41 PM »
Yes, gorgeous photos as usual. I have a particular soft spot for this post, as I had one of those 3-screw Piettas, unfired....and sold it that way.
It was about perfect in every way, except for the finish on the grips, which could have been easily rectified, and the fact that the wood was slightly proud of the brass, also easy to fix. Alas; I needed to turn a profit and couldn't keep it, although I wish I had. Sorely.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline StrawHat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2015, 03:20:17 AM »
Along the same idea, Colts also had a few of the 1851 Models that were intended for the civilian trade.  I believe more of the 1851s were built as civilians than the 1860s but it had a few years of manufacture prior to the start of hostilities.

Here is my only copy of the civilian model, mine is an 1851 by G&U, produced at the start of the replica industry.

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline shooter13

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2015, 10:12:38 PM »
These 1860 Civilians were not rare at all a couple years ago.  In fact, The Possible Shop, who get all their Ubertis from Taylors, regularly stocked them.  I kick myself for not picking one up simply for the joy of shooting that fine revolver without having to accommodate the stock screws sticking out into my hand.  Well, ,you've got a nice one and you've shown you can shoot it as well as it can shoot!  Nice symbiotic affair, I'd say.