Author Topic: What's the point of having this message board?  (Read 6065 times)

Offline StrawHat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: What's the point of having this message board?
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2015, 04:52:21 AM »
I like this board.  I read all of the threads, and if I have something to say, I write it down.  Sometimes, members may not like what I write, I am okay with that as I do not write anything to hurt feelings.  Merely my opinion.  Work has kept me from the fields this year except for once or twice.  I have probably fired less on those two outings than most of you do it the first 10 minutes at the range.  Just my way.  I like to read about the experiments and am following the one on the 22 conversion.  Interesting, but not my cup of tea.  Same with the meat smoking, I like to eat it but have never prepared it.  I still read about it.

Between work and life, it takes up a bit of my time.

That is probably the most I have written since I joined.

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2015, 06:49:35 AM »
I like both of the forums. There are members that are on this forum and not on the other forum.

Offline sltm1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2015, 07:44:34 AM »
I check in here every morning, but if I don't have anything to add to a post I don't just run my mouth for exercise. I don't do any form of social media for the same reason. Personally I run through my morning site checks like folks used to read the newspaper in the old days. If this site weren't here I'd miss it cause occasionally there as some nuggets posted and even some things I can
share might be informative to others. So keep it rolling Capt'n !!!

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2015, 08:49:51 AM »
Yes,  .  .  .  .  .  yes we do!

I'll see if I can do more  posting and help cappy out.

Just for the heck of it, who would like to see some "factory  converted" Dragoons/ Walkers? I mean real " let's go hunting, let's shoot long distance, with some Ruger only loads?!! Real live  modern Open Tops!!!
Why should the RM's , '71/'72 OT's and such be the only "modern" OTs?
 Just askin.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

Let's see em Mike.   May not be my thing but there is always room for discussion. 

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2015, 09:11:41 AM »
Yeah, I would like to see them too.  L@.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2015, 07:19:37 PM »
Mike, you know I'd be up for that! Go for it!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Dellbert

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2015, 11:28:06 AM »
I may be late but you got another vote. VOTE! is that word aloud on here? :-X

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2015, 05:49:30 PM »
As long as you're pullin' for the right team (and if you are here, I know you are)
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2015, 09:45:52 PM »
Well, I'm sure they would be a hit and thanks for the response.

I'm thinking at least the first run would be "tuned " and set up for target/hunting ( frame feature) on the 3rd Mod.Dragoon.
The target "frame feature" is a solid lock device for the barrel lug/frame area. Should out shoot most competition.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2015, 07:09:55 PM »
  The Remington snobs have more activity due to the fact they need to keep reassuring each other that they are not missing out by not owning any Colt pattern revolvers.   
Do you really think that’s the case Mike?  I never thought of that.  I’m inclined to disagree but maybe there is something to it.  I love my Colts and my Remingtons too and I quit trying to pick a favorite a long time ago as a fruitless activity (although for me, nothing ‘holds’ like a sixty). As far as ‘insecure’ goes - Ima stranger to it. I will watch for that over at ’58 but I haven’t noticed it yet.   

« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 07:13:23 PM by G Dog »

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2015, 07:15:40 PM »
Shut it down? Not a chance.

I’m very glad to hear that. This is a valuable forum.  It's both a lot of fun and very informative.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2015, 07:43:12 PM »
  The Remington snobs have more activity due to the fact they need to keep reassuring each other that they are not missing out by not owning any Colt pattern revolvers.   
Do you really think that’s the case Mike?  I never thought of that.  I’m inclined to disagree but maybe there is something to it.  I love my Colts and my Remingtons too and I quit trying to pick a favorite a long time ago as a fruitless activity (although for me, nothing ‘holds’ like a sixty). As far as ‘insecure’ goes - Ima stranger to it. I will watch for that over at ’58 but I haven’t noticed it yet.

No G Dog I don't think that is an entirely accurate statement.   I made it sort of tongue-in-cheek in response to Richards post which I viewed as a bit of an attempt to enliven talk on this forum.   I do think that some of the"Remington only" crowd have a bit of an inferiority complex when it comes to the overall popularity of Colt revolvers compared to Remingtons.   

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2015, 10:46:00 PM »
I hear and understand what both Mike and Gdog are saying. You men that know me have no doubt that I am a died in the wool Colt enthusiasts. I can spend time justifying why, but I have already done so enough times on the forums that there is no further need.

I do in fact own 3 Remington percussion shooters and use them regularly. They fit in with my historical interests just as any CSA revolver does.

But with that, I will add the following opinions.

1. I could care less which one is the better design and would not own one over the other based on such trivial matters. For Petes sake, if it is such a concern, stick to a cartridge revolver.

2. If you can't deal with the occasional cap jam of a Colt, you likely are not proficient with tools of the past.

3. If you tried a flintlock rifle and settled for percussion instead, you likely prefer the Remington.

4. If you feel you can shoot a Remington accurately but not a Colt, you have some work to do on your fundamentals.

5. A Colt is no more accurate than a Remington and vice versa.

6. Apply a historical mind set when messing with historical type firearms and you just might find a rewarding harmony with your endeavors. All of these black powder arms have an appeal if one would stop focusing on what the original designer should have done.

7. Negative opinion claiming that Colts are unreliable has less value than 10 year old fruit cake. If one buys into such propaganda, rather than rely on their experience, they fall into the follower category.

8. Apply a bit more critical thinking and objective reasoning to this game. It leads to self reliance.

Perhaps I have spoken some strong words, but my intent was to influence those that might read this post that are still sitting on the fence trying to decide what side to step on. I mean no offense though to anyone.

(Added afterwards),,,,  I will clarify my last statement regarding what side of the fence to step on. By that, I mean the modern mindset versus a historical one, not Colt versus Remington.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 06:48:59 AM by scooby »

Offline Dellbert

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2015, 12:30:01 AM »
I believe anyone can shoot a Remington revolver and shoot it well. I just happen to like the Colts because they give me a challenge by making  me haft to learn how to shoot the gun good enough to be able to hit with it. I have more Colt than Remington revolver's and each one are just plan fun. As for Johnnie, the guy is 80 years old for goodness sake and I just over look his comments to the point that I passed by his post. You can't change a 80 year old mind set. If we get the chance to be his age you tell me how one of these young dudes is going to come along with the ideas they have now days and change our minds, good luck to them.

Offline StrawHat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2015, 03:34:24 AM »
Learning stuff everyday.  Just heard there is a forum for top strappers!  Who'd a thought?

Me, I learned a long time ago that the grip frame of the Remington revolver was not a good fit in my hand.  So, for the next 5 decades, I have preferred the grip frame of the Open Top revolver. 

But, I am enjoying this thread.

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com