Author Topic: Colt Army 1860  (Read 2736 times)

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Colt Army 1860
« on: November 08, 2015, 10:17:56 AM »
In the mood to shoot some percussion rounds this morning. Went over the hill and rang some gongs. Shot at 60 yards to re-hone my longer distance revolver shooting skills. Did some practice at 20 yards rapid fire single hand hold to re-hone those skills too. Finished of with some methodical two hand hold shooting at 35 yards at a tiny gong.

I have shown this one before, but the pictures no longer exist. I had to clean out my over loaded photo bucket account some time back.

The belt rig was also shown at that time. It is a fairly new rig built by myself. The egg plate brass buckle is one of my favorites. Kind of simple looking, rough cast, and a copy of an original. I used an intrigal strap and and exterior tab on the holster to secure this one. Copied the design out of the book "Packing Iron."

Shooting the 1860 was a good way to start out the day!!!! Nothing better than the looks of a dirty revolver after doing some soot burning.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 10:20:08 AM by scooby »

Offline Dellbert

• View Profile
Re: Colt Army 1860
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 02:33:07 PM »
I like it scooby. Gun, rig, all really good looking stuff. The Colt 60 is a hard gun to beat once you get to shooting them. <={

Online mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 04:09:07 PM »
Good looking stuff Scooby.   I have two 1860 Army revolvers.   One Pietta and an older ASM.   The ASM is a pleasure every time I take it out.  The Pietta has never really impressed me even after some fine tuning.   I just haven't been able to make friends with it yet.

Online ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 04:14:06 PM »
Hi scooby, 60yds? The furthest I shoot my handguns is 50yds at steel targets. Shooting at 50yds is a hoot waiting for the ring from the steel targets. What brand is your 60, I don't see any markings of a Pietta, is it a Uberti? If so, did you need to adjust arbor length for a correct barrel/cylinder gap? A few days ago I was shooting 250gr .45 Colt handloads with my new Uberti 1858 and conversion cylinder @50yds and getting 2-3" groups using a two hand hold. It sometimes amazes me what these old (replica) handguns can do.

As always, what great photos! You are a treasure for this message board.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 05:09:06 PM »
It is a Uberti, date code of 2013. I did not shim the arbor. It may likely receive a thin shim down the road, but the damn thing shoots so good as is, I never bothered to give it any concern.

Yes Richard, I have been shooting out to 60 yards for the past few years. That is almost as far as I can get on my property. After I first started shooting at that distance and realized how simple it was with these percussion revolvers, I have made it a regular habit.

Like you, I get a kick out of the slight delay waiting for the bullet to hit steel at the longer distance. I am also regularly impressed with the accuracy of these reproductions. I shoot them so frequently that I do very well with them.

Online Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2015, 07:42:28 PM »
Yes, the '60 is indeed well a classic. Mine is an ASP...well, actually both of them are but I don't have my other one back from Goons Gunworks yet for the comparo....
Inever shot it before sending it off to Mike. I didn't dare to. So it will be two ASP's head to head to see which one shoots better.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2015, 08:10:51 PM »
Like the 60, love that belt plate.

Online ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2015, 04:33:09 AM »
Yes, the '60 is indeed well a classic. Mine is an ASP...well, actually both of them are but I don't have my other one back from Goons Gunworks yet for the comparo....
Inever shot it before sending it off to Mike. I didn't dare to. So it will be two ASP's head to head to see which one shoots better.

Hi Captain, it seems ages ago that you sent that 60 to Mike. Is Mike having a problem with it, or is he so overloaded with work that it is taking so long?

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline StrawHat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2015, 04:45:37 AM »
As some of you may remember, I also like the 1860 style and have a few of them.  They are a lot of fun, especially when you can shoot them at the longer distances.  It used to be my routine to walk the property looking for targets of opportunity and various ranges and practice from practical shooting stances.  If a tree was handy and a limb at the right height, I had an impromptu rest.  If nothing as available, I would decide whether to shoot offhand or drop to a sit and squeeze the shot.  It was very satisfying to get a hit with the first shot.  Now, I do not get out nearly as often as I would like so imagine my aim would not be as I remember it.

Good looking photos as always and nice looking leather.

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Online ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2015, 05:34:59 AM »
Hi StrawHat, the only things I don't care for about the 1860 Army are the stock mounting screws that dig into the hand when shooting. I think I'm finally going to do something about them. Maybe buy some replacement screws and turn down the head so they fit flush? That will let me keep the original screws if a return to original is ever required.

Does anyone know of a commercial source of flush stock mounting screws for the Pietta 1860?

Regards,
Richard

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2015, 07:10:00 AM »
Sorry to say Richard, but I do not know of a source for some flush screws. I have an extra set of regular shoulder stock screws for a Uberti that came in a replacement screw packet from VTI and they don't even fit.

Offline sltm1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2015, 07:54:28 AM »
ssb, I bought a pair a few years back and I'm pretty sure they came from  "Track of The Wolf"

Online Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2015, 10:01:36 AM »
Richard, I would think a pair of recessed Allen head set screws would serve your purpose, and could be removed and discarded when returning it to original.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline remmie58

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2015, 12:22:33 PM »
He's also finetuning mine; prob'ly about finished.

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2015, 02:39:36 PM »
One of these days I'll find an 1860 at a price I want to pay.