photo Dragoon-Navyset_zps3txqpebh.jpg

Author Topic: My Son's Buck  (Read 676 times)

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
My Son's Buck
« on: November 22, 2015, 06:34:02 PM »
I got my 19 year old son onto this buck today and he done well. He made a clean one shot kill, all the while dealing with a less than ideal rest and being slightly winded to boot after I ran him a ways in order to get into a position so he could get off the shot before the buck got out of sight. He has been coming home on weekends for the past month and I have been taking him out, but we had not been able to connect on a mature buck until now. Regardless, he remained focused and continued to pass on small bucks and does in order to try and meet the goal that he had set for himself.

Priot to this year, he had not been out in the woods with me for 6 years. He lost the desire to hunt after he took up a strong interest for sports when he was 13. Well this fall, after I got back from the Mountain Goat hunt, he told me he wanted to go out hunting once again. Needless to say, I was elated and the past four weekends have been a total pleasure to have my only son by my side in the woods once again.

I am a very blessed father on this day. I have always been proud of him, and he is a good son that was raised right, but I never pushed him to like the woods or hunting. As long as he was involved in a wholesome activity or passion, it was always his choice. But man oh man did I sure miss him by my side on hunts.

Today, he had a certain spark in his eye, and a level of maturity that I have not seen before. Today, he was a true woodsman that pulled his own weight, handled all of the field dressing chores, and drug the buck out by himself to a location where we could get him loaded in the truck. He also grabbed onto me with his strong arms and gave me a hug just because I was his dad. I won't ever forget that hug. And from what I gather, it looks like we will be spending a lot more time together in the woods in the future.

Here are two pics of his buck he took today. Also included is an old one taken of him with his first buck when he was 13. Up untill this fall, that picture was the last one ever to be taken of him in the woods.

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: My Son's Buck
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 07:16:20 PM »
Nice! Congratulations to you both.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 07:30:59 PM »
Excellent job by both you and your son Scooby.   I try to get a few days in the woods with both of my sons each year.  Nothing better than quiet time alone with your son.  A successful hunt is icing on the cake.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 07:39:29 PM »
Scooby, it does my heart good to see that pic and read the story. Not simply because the buck is a monster (it is!) but because it's a 'coming home' kind of story.
May you and your son share many more hunts and many more hugs.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 09:23:54 PM »
Cool story, nice deer. Lotsa knife handles there.  (7+"

Offline StrawHat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 03:24:47 AM »
Congratulations to both of you.

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 07:19:16 AM »
Way to go Scooby!  L@.

And Son!  )lI