Author Topic: Square Trigger Guard  (Read 7217 times)

Offline sourdough

• View Profile
Re: Square Trigger Guard
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2015, 05:33:29 PM »
Hi sourdough.  I have given my boys and nephews many of my long guns too.  I keep a couple of semi-auto pistols around for defensive purposes and carry and a vintage S&W Police Special, but like you I concentrate on those cap & ball repros now.  The fun of owning and shooting historic firearms can’t be beat.

If this thread gets “ad nauseum” for anyone  - they are probably on the wrong forum.

I still have my 1911 .45 and my .38/357 SP101 for HD: I can still see farther than 10 yards very well in case of a home invasion. But I digress, Thank you!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2015, 06:30:16 PM »
Just my two cents here, but..
I think topics in the detail and depth exhibited here are what separate the men from the boys, the amateur from the C&B enthusiast, and the casual BP plinker from the Colt collector. It's what I set out to accomplish when I took over this forum. One size doesn't fit all, as we all know, and I suspect this is why the Remmy forum is so much more active and populated. Colts are a different breed and it takes just a little more than a casual interest to own ,appreciate and love them.
I could listen to these conversations for hours! I don't get bored in the least. And if some do, well...they can just skip to the next subject.
All this and more is why Smokey has refused steadfastly to pull the plug on the Collector's forum even though there has been little to no activity there in well over two years. There is enough rare and unknown data in the archives there to start a museum. In case anyone is interested, here is the link to that sister forum:

http://blackpowdersmoke.com/revolvers/index.php

Feel free to visit and repopulate it!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2015, 07:28:20 PM »
Agreed, some good stuff here.

Offline sourdough

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2015, 12:42:00 PM »
I am on several BP forums and at my age I cannot remember well what I posted where. I may be too diverse in my investigations and not very diligent about who's on first, what's on second, et al.

A while back someone was looking for info from Dr. Davis about "The Accidental S&G".

http://rprca.tripod.com/Schneider.html

Mods, feel free to move it to the proper forum. I apologize for posting it here.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2015, 07:50:36 PM »
Geez, Jim...no need to apologize! That article (Accidental S&G) is what prompted my search for and purchase of just the right "Navy brasser" (as it was advertised as) to do just that (pictured below)....

I love this forum..... (7&

Offline sourdough

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2015, 01:22:13 PM »
I know I previously mentioned a thread on the Black Powder Revolver Collecting Forum (2011) by Dr. Jim L. Davis on Colt Pocket Replica .31 Caliber Revolvers. I found a different one from 2011, and Strawhat, Fingers, and others partake of the discussion. Interesting read.

http://blackpowdersmoke.com/revolvers/index.php?topic=34.0

The one I have printed out has the same URL except for the topic # 35.0, about 6 hours later (according to the time stamp) and of course has a bit different content on the same subject, but I cannot find it to post a link.

Maybe the good Captain can use his magic fingers and powers to find it.  :)

And, YES! I just applied for a membership on that Forum; just awaiting permission to login.

And I hope it gets re-populated, but I think most of us here are somewhat in the minority. I think that much of the U.S. population disdains history in general, and specific history insofar as our interests miniscule. My wife and I have the pleasure of hosting a family relative (her second cousin to some degree) visiting here for a week in the boontoolies. She is a retired history teacher from Nome, Alaska, and we find no end talking any aspect of U.S. history and beyond. She is a joy to have around and, if she gets tired of the conversation and has no more to say, she will pick up one of my books and just start reading. I like that and she does not need to be entertained.

Sorry to ramble Off Topic.

Jim

« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 04:25:16 PM by sourdough »

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2015, 06:04:01 PM »
Jim;
You're in. I approved you myself. I would love to see more activity on the forum, so by all means....post away!
I searched for your post #35 but don't think it was what you wanted. I suspect it was a victim of either the Great Black Powder Smoke crash of 2011 or auto pruning.

Here is the text from post #35:

"Terry, I need a NIB F series 1851 Navy - for the right price.  The boxed one I have has the slightest turn ring on it & I need one at 100% instead of 99.5%"

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2015, 08:22:02 PM »
Geez, Jim...no need to apologize! That article (Accidental S&G) is what prompted my search for and purchase of just the right "Navy brasser" (as it was advertised as) to do just that (pictured below)....

I love this forum..... (7&

Captain,

My first cap and ball revolver back in in 1969 was an "1851 Navy" brass framed model with no scroll engraving on the cylinder like yours pictured above. I cannot for the life of me recall the manufacturer but do remember the XXIII (1967) date code. I didn't realize at the time that I had an accidental Schneider & Glassick!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2015, 08:55:26 PM »
Yup. That's what you had!
Mine is an ASM.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2015, 11:03:15 PM »
I like those grips.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2015, 09:22:28 AM »
I did not, at first. Then they grew on me.
They feel SO much better than the Pietta 'bell bottom' grip.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2015, 09:52:21 AM »
Yeah, they do. I wish Pietta would start making the navies like they do the G&G but AFAIK they still have the tail on the navies.

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2015, 11:59:51 AM »
A dissenting opinion:  I like rounded trigger guards on 51’s and Third Models.  Square backs are cool but the rounded has better ergonomics for my hand and mo-better Feng shui and esthetics … or something.  Square back trigger guards whack my ‘bird digit’ but with rounded I don’t need to do the ‘pinky curl’ to avoid that. 

Good material here, thanks for those good links boys.

Offline sourdough

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2015, 02:33:27 PM »
My infatuation with squareback trigger guards came way back with the Ruger Super Blackhawk 3-screw. I used to handload some very heavy loads (H110) and never had a problem with this configuration, insofar as banging any other fingers.

To each his/her own,

Back to our regularly scheduled program...

I am supposed to get my Pieta G&G from Cabela's o/a Jan 6. It was shipped from Sidney and it is in Colorado now.

Antsy.

Jim
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 04:35:44 PM by sourdough »

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2015, 09:51:57 PM »
My infatuation with squareback trigger guards came way back with the Ruger Super Blackhawk 3-screw. I used to handload some very heavy loads (H110) and never had a problem with this configuration, insofar as banging any other fingers.

Got you one of these yet?