photo Dragoon-Navyset_zps3txqpebh.jpg

Author Topic: Dimensions  (Read 2239 times)

Offline rodwha

• View Profile
Dimensions
« on: December 05, 2015, 06:20:31 PM »
I've read that the Uberti Walkers have different dimensions than the '60 Army with an oddball groove diameter. Can anyone give me the land/groove diameters along with the chamber diameter? And the twist rate as well?

As much as the Walker is such an iconic gun (both the gun that brought Colt back from the dead and gave the Rangers a very formidable weapon), and the original one that drew me (though I also considered a 2nd model Dragoon) to cap n ball pistols, it's a bit low on my list of needs once I found that I cannot use it as a primary weapon during muzzleloader season in TX, and that my Ruger can do quite well on its own with the bullets I cast. I still need one though, and thought how it would make one hell of a hog carbine with a stock attached!

I've also (I think too much) that an additional barrel reamed smooth might very well make a fun rabbit/squirrel gun. And maybe another barrel cut to 4-6"... Yea, I think too much.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
Re: Dimensions
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 06:41:25 PM »
Dunno about groove diameter and haven't measured twist but my Uberti Dragoon requires .457 balls. .454's will pull back out with the ram.

Offline rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 06:44:59 PM »
Yea, seen that it's recommended rather than the .454" they seem to recommend for the Army.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 07:07:03 PM »
My Walker is an ASM so I can't help you there.

Offline rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 07:13:42 PM »
I'm hesitant to buy used unless I know the owner. Especially over the Internet. That leaves me with just Uberti.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 07:20:26 PM »
I've never bought one online.  Every gun I own I handled before I bought it.   Some really good deals happen for some guys online but I bet we don't hear too much about the bad ones.

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2015, 10:10:16 AM »
I have bought several guns on-line as I have a C&R license. The only bad deal I have had is a S&W "Lemon Squeezer", it was reasonable in cost, looked really nice. I loaded some black powder 38 S&W rounds and took it to the range. At the first shot, the gun came apart in my hand, trigger guard just popped off. I haven't looked at it since to see if maybe a pin is missing, or.....?

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2015, 10:58:29 AM »
I have bought a few off of forums, mostly the SASS Wire but have bought a few off Gunbroker. I bought an old Lancaster SXS for cheap and when I got it the extractors were missing. I sent the guy a message and he said they were in the box. Nope. About a week later I got a message from him saying he found them on his work bench and sent them right on.

Offline rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2015, 11:35:40 AM »
Though a good deal may very well be found buying used I just prefer to bypass potential issues figuring a new gun can be returned more easily if there are quality issues. I'll also know it's never been abused and there is no concern with potential rust/pitting from neglect.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2015, 08:07:05 PM »
I shot lots of .454 RBs from my Uberti Second Dragoon, no issues. Never tried .457's, though I could (have plenty).
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2015, 09:19:01 PM »
I shot lots of .454 RBs from my Uberti Second Dragoon, no issues. Never tried .457's, though I could (have plenty).

Mine are so loose they stick to the ram and pull back out of the chamber. The ring that gets shaved isn't much thicker than a hair.

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile

Offline rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2015, 01:31:33 PM »
Thanks LP!

Offline sourdough

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2015, 12:44:05 PM »
I've read that the Uberti Walkers have different dimensions than the '60 Army with an oddball groove diameter. Can anyone give me the land/groove diameters along with the chamber diameter? And the twist rate as well?

I am going to take a chance that you are comparing a Uberti Walker with a Uberti 1860 Army.

My only reference is the 2015 Dixie Gun Works catalog. To wit:

Uberti Walker: Button rifled .013" deep * 1-48" twist * 7 lands - .440 & 7grooves - .466

Uberti 1860 Army: Button rifled .006 deep * 1-32" twist * 7 lands -.440 & 7 grooves - .452

Hope this helps.

Jim
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 12:46:43 PM by sourdough »

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2015, 06:32:12 AM »
I'm hesitant to buy used unless I know the owner. Especially over the Internet. That leaves me with just Uberti.

Hi rodwha, not long ago I bought a used 1858 carbine from a Remmy message board member. It was a mess, lots of crappy amateur gunsmithing on the carbine, was even unsafe. Many new users of BP firearms seem to have a burning desire to modify their firearm and make it their own and somehow better. Better rarely happens. Since that buying experience, I have sworn off buying used, it's new or nothing.

Of course, the collector may have no choice but to buy used because a desired BP firearm isn't currently manufactured.

The value in buying new from a reputable supplier is that the firearm can be returned for replacement or credit if the firearm is defective. Trying to return a used firearm is a path to bad feelings and arguments.

IMO buy new and don't look back.  L@. L@. L@.

Regards,
Richard

There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!