photo Dragoon-Navyset_zps3txqpebh.jpg

Author Topic: Armi San Marco Walker  (Read 1811 times)

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
Armi San Marco Walker
« on: December 09, 2015, 05:58:50 PM »
Here is a Walker made by Armi San Marco and imported by Richland Arms. It has a Colt barrel address and Colt's Patent cylinder.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
Re: Armi San Marco Walker
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 07:19:23 PM »
I own an ASM Walker too LP.   Mine has the Colt barrel address too but there is no other visible writing on the barrel.   There is the date code and serial # on the bottom of the frame just ahead of the trigger guard and very small and barely legible the "black powder only" statement is under the loading lever.   
The lack of writing stamped all over is one of the reasons I think this one is a keeper.  In addition the loading lever has never fallen while shooting it,  even with the chambers packed full of black powder.
Sometimes the ASM brand gets less respect than other manufacturers but I own a couple others and all three are as good as any Uberti or Pietta I own.

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 08:04:40 PM »
Nice LonesomePigeon.  My brother has an ASM Dragoon which is well made and shoots quite well.

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 08:38:58 PM »
Mike you're ASM sounds pretty cool. Does it also have the Colt's Patent on the cylinder? Mine has Richland Arms, Blissfield, Michigan on the side of the barrel and ASM Black powder only made in Italy on the bottom of the barrel. I wish it didn't have the Richland Arms markings on the side but it's not a big deal.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 03:54:20 AM »
The only bad thing I've heard about ASM is some folks claim the internals are too soft.
This should be easily fixable by applying Kasenit to the parts after cleaning and polishing.
I only own one ASM (a brass S&G) and have no qualms about anything with it.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 04:45:44 AM »
Mike you're ASM sounds pretty cool. Does it also have the Colt's Patent on the cylinder? Mine has Richland Arms, Blissfield, Michigan on the side of the barrel and ASM Black powder only made in Italy on the bottom of the barrel. I wish it didn't have the Richland Arms markings on the side but it's not a big deal.

LP,  yes the cylinder is engraved with Colt's patent and Model USMR.   The original cylinder were not blued though.  I been thinking about removing the bluing from mine.

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 07:10:04 AM »
A clean built Walker Lonesome. I had a chance to pick up such a marked ASM Walker once, one of course, stupid me, I didn't.   ;)

It is entertaining to see how many ASMs hit the market with the Colt address before a shutdown was effected.

ASM got a few bad reviews on the Web a few years ago and the news spread like wild fire. But in my opinion, they put out no more lemons than any other Italian maker. In the late 80's, Pietta had a reputation much worse than ASM. Ya, I know about how the CNC facelift no longer placed them in the soil dove category. And of course, until recently, Uberti was not free from getting some bad reviews.

These poor clones are as susceptible to gaining a bad reputation just as some of the girls were in high school.  (7+"

Me, well, I never did join the band wagon and travel along the road with the ASM nay sayers. I have always had good things to say about them. I do admit though that I did not do Pietta any justice early on. I saw more lemons turned out by that firm than any other. I have also spewed some negative words about Uberti. But heck, I mellowed out and I now have good things to say about Pietta and Uberti. Pedersoli too. Now I simply make the claim that you can get a bad one every now and then no matter what the brand stamp says. Same with everything else I suppose including dogs, horses, and humans.   ;)

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 07:45:19 AM »
I do have a 1847 Colt Walker coming to me this X-mas. My Mom and Dad got it for me. I don't know if it's new or used...they won't let me have it yet.  :-[

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2015, 02:59:23 PM »

Now I simply make the claim that you can get a bad one every now and then no matter what the brand stamp says. Same with everything else I suppose including dogs, horses, and humans.   ;)
Nowadays seems like I'd rather take my chances with dogs and horses than Humans.   I rarely meet a bad dog or horse, bad humans on the other hand seem to be a little more plentiful.  I'm becoming more curmudgeonly in my old age I guess.

Mad Dog...  good for you.   I hope the Walker lives up to your expectations.

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2015, 10:30:14 PM »
Mad Dog, glad to hear you're getting a Walker!

Mike I am thinking of removing the bluing from my Walker's cylinder too. Have you shot your ASM Walker and if so, how does it shoot?

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2015, 05:17:19 AM »
LP...   I have shot the Walker as much as any of my revolvers but not as much as I would like.   Mine is a great shooter but shoots a little high so I just hold low on the target.  I don't shoot paper a lot so I'm not real concerned with groups and all.  As long I can make the gong ring I'm happy.    Never had a problem with the loading lever falling on mine but I assume that will change as more powder goes through it.

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2016, 11:15:04 PM »
I fired the shite out of my ASM Walkers.  For years!  The only mechinism failure was with one of them. A combination spring broke.  Other than that, no internal failures.  On the   o t h e r   hand, both of the barrel lugs are so distorted, they ll  only fire once and the barrel and wedge have to be reseated.