Author Topic: New flintlock rifle coming  (Read 2396 times)

Offline StrawHat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: New flintlock rifle coming
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2015, 03:52:39 AM »
I had a Navy Arms 1803 Harper's Ferry rifle that had the vent in the bottom of the pan.  I scribed a line across the top of the pan and marked the center.  I removed the barrel and drove a nail into the vent to plug it.  I drilled a new hole at my mark and installed a vent liner.  I used a vent liner because I wanted the new hole to obliterate the old vent hole and without a liner the hole needed to be huge compared to a vent.  You could do something similar to make that rifle work.

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2015, 04:46:36 AM »
Hi StrawHat, thanks for the suggestion. My Hawken and Kentucky barrels have a vent liner. Maybe making a touchhole vent liner with the hole close to the edge (off axis) would help? Install the blank vent liner and then mark the place to put the hole higher relative to the flashpan powder? Another solution may be to grind down the bottom of the flashpan so the hole is level with the top of the flash pan powder?

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2015, 06:11:43 AM »
Hi, if anyone is interested in my locktime adventures with the Pedersoli Kentucky rifle, you can see that here in this archive:
http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php?topic=2454.msg25310#msg25310

A lot was learned and a little knowledge gained that improved flintlock lock time. It may save you some learning curve time in your locktime struggle.

Regards,
Richard
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 07:19:56 AM by ssb73q »
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2015, 04:26:43 PM »
I'm not sure why this particular rifle shape is called a Traditional Hawken. Pedersoli isn't the only one to call their half-stock plains rifle a Traditional Hawken. None of them look much like what any of the Hawken boys built back in the old days. I had a Cabela's Traditional Hawken, and it was a nice rifle. It didn't look much like an original Hawken, either.

Offline StrawHat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2015, 03:31:32 AM »
...I'm not sure why this particular rifle shape is called a Traditional Hawken. ...

EM,

Why do the Italians name anything the way they do?  To get folks to buy it!  Unless you are willing to spend for a custom built rifle, there are not many true Hawken replicas on the market.  The Lyman Great Plains is closest perhaps, but not exact.  I am not aware of others that have recently been introduced that come close.

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2015, 04:29:19 AM »
Unless you are willing to spend for a custom built rifle, there are not many true Hawken replicas on the market.

This is true. I lucked into mine.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2015, 06:12:40 AM »
Hi, capandball did a video review on the Pedersoli Hawken (the percussion model):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7FgrwqJIvc

Regards,
Richard

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2015, 08:28:54 AM »
Good video there Richard!  L@.