photo Dragoon-Navyset_zps3txqpebh.jpg

Author Topic: Uberti colt 1863 New Police Model  (Read 1429 times)

Offline Steamburn

• View Profile
Uberti colt 1863 New Police Model
« on: December 22, 2015, 12:12:02 PM »
Nice little thing.  Well made.
I have taken it to the range 3 times.
It shoots about 6 inches high, even that I have worked the rear site down.  I hope I'll be able to install a taller front post.
Meanwhile, it gives a lot of trouble with the spent caps.  I tried to install the Slix-shot ones, but their body is a tad bigger than the hole in the cylinder so they don't fit.  I'll have to put them in a lathe and turn them down a little bit.
I considered installing the fence in front of the hammer, but the underlying material in this model is very thin (about 1/32").  Anybody know of another fix for the spent caps problem?

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
Re: Uberti colt 1863 New Police Model
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 08:06:46 PM »
Try different caps or raising the muzzle and tilting it to the right as you cock it.

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 09:13:16 PM »
As for a cap rake, Dragoon can put one in with that modle sure enough. If there is a man that can fix the original plagues of these revolvers, he is it. He knows good and well what he is doing when it comes to tuning these Colts up to suit the modern day shooter. He has no dissatisfied customers and is only advancining with his knowledge as he works his craft.

Now I will go out on a limb here and open up the subject regarding cap jams with the un-altered pocket modles. I have come to the conclusion that the smaller main spring on these versions allows the hammer to be blown back upon detonation of the powder charge, therefor allowing enough clearance between the cone and hammer face to allow the spent cap to be blown clear of the cone.

The particualr revolver that started me on this thinking was an old Replica Arms 1862 Police that I have. It was by far the worst cap jamming Colt that I have ever witnessed upon. Now I had already became aware of the fact before shooting it that a previous owner had put a leather spacer in between the frame and main spring. (It was/is a common and simple fix to dampen the load on a main spring.) As well, I noticed some peening on the breech end of the cylinder to the left of each cone where the hammer had been hitting it. After the initial firing of this revolver, I soon determined that the softened spring was getting blown back far enough upon firing to slightly index the cylinder and the hammer was returning back down on an advanced cylinder. I removed the B.S. leather spacer, eliminated the eccessive hammer blow back, the advancement of the cylinder upon ignition, and reduced the cap james one hell of a bunch.

I still get the occassional cap blown into the hammer channel, or wedged between the breech face and the cylinder with all of my pocket modles, but I can deal with it in short order. My only major question is,,,, did the originals suffer the same plague. I have never read anything pertaining to the fact.

I know from my years of shooting muzzleloading percussion rifles that the way to reduce hammer blow back is to reduce the size of the ignition hole in the cone. I have seen many of worn out/over sized hole in cones on the shooter's rifles that I have encounterd at the rendezvous scene. Their hammers were always blown back to half cock, and it did not matter if it was a TC, Lyman, or any other make.( I also do know about the Uncle Mikes vented cone that was put on the market to solve the issue, but felt that it was like putting a band aid on a sore that would not heal). A new cone with a proper sized hole ,ost always fixed the issue. But there were a few rifles with weak hammer springs that continued to blow the hammer back to halk cock after the owner intalled a better cone. I firmly believe that the same issue plagues percussion revolvers.

No percussion fire arm that I know of needs a very big vent hole to ignight the main charge. (Same with a flint lock). Could it be that these Italian replica pocket modles have too big of a vent hole in the cones, as well as too weak of main spring? I have not yet had the pleasure of close inspection of the originals to determine an accurate answer, but I do feel that it is a valid issue worthy of the intentive thinker. What say you men with pondering minds?

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 09:26:03 PM »
Scoob part of that is the original caps were made of copper and a little thicker. I don't think they blew apart like modern caps.

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 09:47:33 PM »
That is a proper assessment Hawg, and now that you mention it, I now recall that very fact.

Offline StrawHat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2015, 05:02:35 AM »
Scooby, I have a pair of Replica Arms (Ohio) Pocket Police revolvers.  The main spring on either is strong enough to support a rail car.  So far, no hammer cocking with them.  I have several newer Pocket Police and on all of them, the main spring is much less stiff.

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2015, 05:28:28 AM »
The main spring on my Police model from Replica arms is stiff too.  It and my 2nd mod. Dragoon are the hardest to cock of all my the guns I have.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2015, 08:45:39 AM »
Scoob part of that is the original caps were made of copper and a little thicker. I don't think they blew apart like modern caps.
I have heard this too.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2015, 09:04:36 AM »
Kevin, the springs on my newer 31 and 36 calibre pocket Uberties are not all that stiff as well. Nothing compared to my full sized modles.

So Mike, I recall you having your Police out shooting not too long ago. Did you find it to have above the norm cap jams?

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2015, 10:55:24 AM »
What few originals I've had/handled had pretty light springs. My 3rd model Dragoon has a thin spring, almost like a Wolff without the center slot but it is very strong.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2015, 11:54:07 AM »
So Mike, I recall you having your Police out shooting not too long ago. Did you find it to have above the norm cap jams?

I may have had one or two in 30 shots but I really don't recall any jams that required any real attention.   Up till now I hadn't thought about it much.   You can bet I'll pay closer attention next time I get it out.  Then I'll be able to say for sure.

Offline DoubleDeuce1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2016, 07:13:00 PM »
I really like my !862 Pocket Police (Uberti). I have Treso nipples on one and the stock nipples on another. No problems for me. They do shoot high, but you can install a taller front sight to take care of that. 8)

Offline Steamburn

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2016, 02:07:58 PM »

Scooby,
Who is Dragoon?
I queried him on the list of members and I cannot fond him.
I would like to send him my 1862 to install the fence.
Thanks.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2016, 06:33:45 PM »

Scooby,
Who is Dragoon?
I queried him on the list of members and I cannot fond him.
I would like to send him my 1862 to install the fence.
Thanks.

45 Dragoon is his screen name. He is Mike Brackett.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"