Author Topic: Model 1855 Sidehammer Pocket  (Read 1353 times)

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Model 1855 Sidehammer Pocket
« on: December 25, 2015, 01:08:55 AM »
The good Capt. influenced me to put up some pics of this little revolver. I intended to snap some pics in the next day or two, but upon further recognition, I determined that all of my typical back ground props are currently snowed under. So as a compromise, I have put up some pics taken last fall. Just as good I suppose as what I could do currently, perhaps even better though, because at least there is a bit more natural background color. I will try and take time to snap a few additional pics tomorrow to add in.

A bit of history on the aquisition of this revolver. It came up for bid on Gunbroker this past year. I noticed it and also noticed that no one was bidding on it. The starting bid was really resonable. Now I really, really wanted one of these to add to my group of percussion revolvers. I also did not ever see them offered much at all. It simply fell into one of those obsolete reproductions that I thought I really needed to have to passify my interests in Colt percussion revolvers. So I waited for a couple of days till the bid was near up, and offered the minimum asking price. My bid held up to the end until one individual jumped into the race. As it was, the bid was going to close before I got off work, so during my break, I put up a maximum bid and won. The individual put in several more bids at small increments, but quit soon afterwards.

It was made by Palmetto in 2003. It is a 31 calibre five shot. The quality of Palmetto leaves a bit to be desired. Nothing like the quality of a Uberti or Pietta. But oh well, since it is the only game in town, Ya take what you can get. According to my findings, it falls into the copy of the Number 6 version. There were seven versions of this modle built . It is also refered to as the Root revolver after E. K. Root, a superintendent and cheif engineer for Colt who's name exists on the patent for this modle. The remaining history is a drawn out process too long for me to include in this post, but in the end, this revolver was not a success for Colt and it faded out of production by 1870. Regardless, the "Root" is significant just by the fact that Colt did have a go at a solid frame percussion modle.

Well a week later, the little jewel showed up. Damn if I was not eleated, but dissapointed at the same time. Here in my hands was a no longer made reproduction in unfired condition, but with a bunch of damage from some dolt using some type of metal tool to try and pry the base pin out. For christ sake, the thing has a barrel mounted plunger that you can depress with yout finger and then use your other hand to pull the pin out of the back of the frame. So I tore it completely down, as I always do with every revolver, went to work on the gouges on the back of the frame and back stap, and gave it a new blued finish. The grip had some chips to the finish as well from being tossed around, so I went ahead and stipped it and gave it a hand rubbed slow oil finish. And since this revolver is mine until I die, I was content with the results.

As often the case, I never had the foresight to take pics of the gouges before I went to work on cleaning them up, so you won't get to see that abortion. But me being me, I just thought the little revolver deserved better than what it had gotten from the dolt that tried to take it apart. And of course, the clean up work involved removal of original blue, but I had full intentions of taking care of that before I even started the process. So here is what it looked like after I got done. As well, I am including some pics of the fully dissassembled revolver. Kind of like the Paterson, they are not your typical Colt regarding internal engineering. I had to do a bit of extra pondering during the tear down. You fellers on this board know enough about revolvers so that I will forgo any text with the pictures. Hope you enjoy this one.

Offline StrawHat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Model 1855 Sidehammer Pocket
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2015, 04:44:45 AM »
Nice photos, particularly of the two revolvers.  I believe a Root Sidehammer was carried by R.E. Lee during the war, along with an 1851.

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2015, 05:45:38 AM »
The little Root revolver has always been interesting to me.   Thanks for posting this Scooby.  I didn't know there were seven versions.   
I bid on one last year also on Gun Broker.  Hope we weren't working against each other.   I have not seen one for sale there for a while.

Offline sltm1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2015, 08:24:12 AM »
Nice piece and great restoration. What type of bluing did you do...it looks factory fresh!!

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2015, 08:40:28 AM »
Fascinating little revolver! Thanks for posting pics and Merry Christmas.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2015, 09:50:16 AM »
That pistol looks pretty good!  L@.

Offline sourdough

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2015, 01:32:19 PM »
Scooby:

What type of bluing solution did you use? I have seen (I think) on a previous thread that you use BC "Super Blue". Is that the case in this instance? I have no experience with that product.

We have talked before on another thread about used replicas and their condition, and I think you chose the right route in refinishing that Root. Although not original, considering the condition you received it, it makes sense to re-do it as you have described. Better to have a beautiful refurbished replica than a piece of trash.

I like your tack when the winds are not favorable.

Jim

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2015, 01:51:44 PM »
Nice piece and great restoration. What type of bluing did you do...it looks factory fresh!!

Hi Roland and Jim. Yep, Birchwood Casey super blue in liquid form. I have come up with a few prep and application methods by now that provide a non streaked and solid color. To lengthy to type them up though.

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2015, 01:54:54 PM »
Interesting pistol.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2015, 05:21:18 PM »
Thanks for posting, Scooby!
I notice it has the 1860 Army creeping loading lever; probably the only pocket .31 version I've seen fitted as such! If I'm missing one, speak up, fellers!
Fascinating piece of history. You did right by it.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"