Author Topic: While waiting for my Walker  (Read 15634 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Re: While waiting for my Walker
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2015, 05:02:40 AM »
Hi, today is the day, the Walker is on the UPS truck out for delivery today. The .45 Colt conversion cylinder is due to arrive Thursday.

Last night we watched True Grit, the night before The Outlaw Josey Wales.

When I get the Walker I will post some photos and initial impressions.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2015, 07:38:36 AM »
Hi, guess what just came in the door, my new Uberti 1847 Walker! These Uberti's just seem to be getting better and better. The fit, timing, and finish is perfect. The wood stock is excellent with a nice figure. I measured the barrel/cylinder gap, my 0.0015" feeler won't go in, the gap is smaller, but the gun cycles fine.

It is sure one brute of a handgun! I either broke or injured some ribs in a fall a few days ago and holding up this revolver is currently a chore. The .45 Colt conversion cylinder is due to arrive on Thursday and I can't wait to shoot this monster.

Ain't she pretty:

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2015, 07:46:57 AM »
Very nice Richard.  The grips looks great. 

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2015, 09:23:45 AM »
Beautiful!
Ya know, one photo ain't gonna cut it on this forum. Just sayin'.......
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2015, 10:06:38 AM »
She's a beaut Richard. Uberti has stepped up their game for sure. The insides of my Dragoon is the cleanest I've ever seen on a repro but Uberti is still slacking on arbor length.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2015, 10:11:42 AM »
Hi, I went down to the basement and cleaned all the preservation oil off the Walker. The insides was very clean, almost polished. I was surprised when passing a cloth patch through the bore, the rifling is left handed. Inspection of the arbor length to barrel arbor hole length shows that the revolver is using the wedge to set the gap, a Uberti thing. I saw a reference today where Colt properly set the barrel/cylinder gap by setting the correct arbor length. I will use the epoxy attached brass washer to arbor end technique to set the gap properly. I did that mod for my two Uberti 1849s and 1862. The barrel wedge of the Walker sets the gap at <0.0015" with the narrow edge of the wedge flush with the side of the barrel. I would like to have more purchase for the wedge. Instead of taking a file to the original wedge, I ordered a new one from VTI to bugger.

I'm still very impressed with the heft of the Walker. I may use it for a weight when exercising in the morning on my treadmill.  )lI )lI

Regards,
Richard
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 10:13:42 AM by ssb73q »

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2015, 01:13:30 PM »
I have an Uberti Walker, new in the box. It is an older gun; now you have me thinking.....I will have to get it out and check it over again. I cleaned it a bit after I got it from the widow of a friend and put it in the safe. Nice that you got a conversion cylinder for it too.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2015, 01:36:14 PM »
Richard, very nice one.  L@.

I haven't taken it all apart to SEE inside it yet.

They sure do oil them up real good in that plastic bag.  L@.

Richard, what is the date of your Walker?

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2015, 03:47:20 PM »
Hi Sam, the date code is CN, SN D135XX

Regards,
Richard

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2015, 04:32:28 PM »
CN is what year?

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2015, 08:07:45 PM »
2015 Sam

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2015, 04:19:03 AM »
Hi, by stacking washers, I determined how much longer my Walker arbor should be to produce a 0.002" barrel/cylinder gap independent of wedge force, 0.100". I could just epoxy three 1/2" OD brass washers together on the arbor end, but will turn a 1/2" brass rod to the correct length. That part will then be JB Weld to the Walker arbor end. A little narrowing of the barrel wedge may also be required to produce a good wedge purchase.

Regards,
Richard
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 04:55:31 AM by ssb73q »

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2015, 11:06:16 AM »
Hi, the new Howell Uberti 1847 Walker .45 Colt conversion cylinder just came in the door. It dropped right in and works perfectly in my new Walker 1847. As soon as I get a new barrel wedge it will be tested. Yes, I buggered up my Walker wedge, took off too much metal from the wedge in the interest of more wedge purchase. The only purchase now realized is buying new wedges (two on order, one from VTI and the other from eBay). Gunsmithing can be expensive.  *6' *6' *6'

I ordered this conversion cylinder from Old South Firearms just three days ago, thank you Old South for such fast shipping!

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2016, 05:48:19 AM »
Hi, by stacking washers, I determined how much longer my Walker arbor should be to produce a 0.002" barrel/cylinder gap independent of wedge force, 0.100". I could just epoxy three 1/2" OD brass washers together on the arbor end, but will turn a 1/2" brass rod to the correct length. That part will then be JB Weld to the Walker arbor end. A little narrowing of the barrel wedge may also be required to produce a good wedge purchase.

Regards,
Richard

Hi, based on the gap testing with 1/2" OD brass washers, I machined three 1/2" OD brass disks, 0.110, 0.100, and 0.095" long. These are the washers and two of the disks:

The 0.095" spacer is now in the Walker between the arbor and barrel hole bottom. That spacer produces a 0.003" cylinder/barrel gap with the wedge hammered in hard. I am thinking of using JB Weld to epoxy the spacer to the end of the arbor, like I did with my 1862:

So far just having a little oil in the barrel arbor hole seems to be enough to hold the brass spacer in the barrel. I may not need to epoxy the spacer to the arbor if the brass spacer stays in the barrel.

BTW, the small hole in the spacer is purposeful, it allows for easy removal from the barrel and if epoxy to the arbor end, easy positioning on the arbor end.

Regards,
Richard 

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2016, 06:39:35 AM »
Hi, well she's no virgin anymore. While probably the lightest loading my Walker will ever see, I fired six shots from 12yds using a two hand hold with wax bullets. Not bad for a wax bullet load?:

The only propulsion for the wax bullets is the primer. I load the primer in .45 Colt Blank brass. What's nice is that hearing protection isn't needed just popping the primer, but safety glasses are a must.

The brass arbor length adjusting button did fall out of the barrel on barrel removal. I will epoxy the button on to the arbor end with JB Weld.

I can't wait until the snow melts and I can put some stout loads on my steel targets.

Regards,
Richard